3D Chess 2K18

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Re: 3D Chess 2K18

Post by arkannoyed »

Experimental Piece test no.1

A little slower than I'd hoped, but this is using very small copy and clear routines which could be unrolled a bit to speed up.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Obviously you'll only get to choose from either Black or White pieces as available selection to move on a given turn, which will only give a maximum number of 16 pieces to cycle through. I have that working now and with a simple switch to select which colour. I also think to keep it as simple as possible, I'll just use maybe Space to scroll through and Enter to select the piece. Then it will keep the selected piece held up while the user selects the square to move to, again Space to move and Enter to select. Then a simple write 00 to the piece square and copy the piece to its newly selected position. Later there will be validation involved which will only allow you to select the squares that are possible to move to.

It does get a lot faster when there are fewer pieces on the board fortunately! :D
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

I did have board rotation working quite a while ago, which will also hopefully be incorporated. I think that was about 30 bytes-ish. That will help with square selection when there are more pieces crowding certain areas. There will also be an undo function as thats fairly easy to add too with a simple move stack system.
KayBee
Drutt

Post by KayBee »

In an actual game, I would like to quickly choose the piece to move, may I suggest inverting the color of each piece as you go through your options? Once the piece is chosen, it rises, then I choose the destination square?
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

I find that to be confusing, or is that just me? Inverting the colour surely makes it match the opposition? That’s actually not any quicker than raising the piece anyway. Still have to reconstruct the board for every change.

Once this gets a little further along I’ll release a demo to try then a decision can be made as to whether it’s ok to run with.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

In my ongoing quest to develop this into something meaningful, I've relented finally, and designed a new alternative and smaller set of pieces.

Whereas previously they maxed out at 22 bits wide, these conveniently nestle within 2 bytes at 16 bits max width. This gives rise to the opportunity to make building and printing them much faster than is currently possible. The size of the data is hardly any smaller actually, but every little gained is a bonus. I've developed a new super quick print routine that prints each line of the piece in just over 300 t-states for all lines, as opposed to the old one that took at least 305 even for the shortest line possible and over 2300 for the longest lines. That should make animating the GUI parts of the selecting process much more visually pleasing. Also the width of the old pieces caused too much overlapping particularly of the bases. This meant that even with some intelligent updating of the board of just selected pieces, it wasn't possible. Now just vertical lines (diagonals) on the board can be re-drawn, saving a lot of time.

It's not easy re-writing most of the graphics engine, but its the only way to get where it needs to be. Projections so far point to the display engine alone probably weighing in at well under 475 bytes hopefully and possible to display the entire populated board in under 0.5 seconds.

They don't quite look as nice as before, but its how it has to be :?

arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

So, here is an early un-optimised test version, minus the piece shading, as thats being worked on still. This does however show the speed increase (around 60%) and the sizing of the alternative set. They will look a lot better with the shading artifacts, but I'm having to rewrite that subroutine from scratch and it was a right bugger the first time! :D

In fact, the main bottleneck now is actually the routine that calculates and prints the board squares. That for simplicity and size does it bit-wise which for the longer lines around the middle can slow it down. When you build it with an empty board, it still takes 0.3 seconds for display, whereas fully populated its only around 0.45 seconds.

I could change it to work byte-wise instead, which will add around 8 bytes, but the speed increase would be lovely.

Currently the graphics data has actually only shrunk by 4 bytes, though a few optimisations might reduce that by a few more. Also, I've free'd up HL for perhaps now addressing for gfx data instead of IX, which if used properly, could not only gain more speed, but lose a few bytes also.

Currently the routine and graphics weigh in at 482 bytes, but the shader is only partially working, so even with a few savings elsewhere, it will creep up towards 500 again no doubt.

The advantage as I mentioned before is that now there are no overlaps between the pieces to the left and right of a diagonal (vertical on screen), which allows updating to just focus on 1 line at a time, not re-constructing the whole board. That said, if 0.45 seconds per frame is possible anyway, then maybe its unimportant now.

The more I look at them on the board, I can't help thinking that the Knight looks to have lost some of its majesty. It looks a bit sad now. Maybe I need to re-design him? :cry:
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

It’s always surprising to me that when you take a different approach to something, you often find something that was perhaps staring you in the face before, but never noticed. Whilst playing around with the mini version, which I still dislike, due to the sprites looking crap, I discovered a way of using fewer bytes to create jumps within the sprite data, allowing parts to be used more than once. Recycling? Anyway, it’s so far saved -3 bytes and might allow for a few other changes to be made which could save yet more.

My dislike for the new smaller pieces is such that I’ve spent some time designing a new set that’s closer to the originals, but with a much classier look. A new algorithm to procedurally produce the columns might be possible too.

Anyone fed up of hearing about this yet? :|
DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

arkannoyed wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:07 pm
Anyone fed up of hearing about this yet? :|
Not me, it's been fascinating so far. Quite looking forward to you marrying it to a chess engine, but the current pursuit is a noble one!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

arkannoyed wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:07 pm Anyone fed up of hearing about this yet? :|
No, but I like the original graphics better. Sorry, man.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:01 pm
arkannoyed wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:07 pm Anyone fed up of hearing about this yet? :|
No, but I like the original graphics better. Sorry, man.
Me too! I just can't seem to get the same feel with the smaller ones. I am in the process of designing a new set, which takes advantage of some new graphics ideas and is almost the same scale as the original. The new format should allow better compression though hopefully.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

arkannoyed wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:29 am I am in the process of designing a new set, which takes advantage of some new graphics ideas and is almost the same scale as the original.
Here’s hoping!

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

arkannoyed wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:29 am The new format should allow better compression though hopefully.
Why? You've already achieved <512 bytes in previous versions. If this is going to end up as a 1K\2K\4K version of chess, fully working, then I can see (and applaud) the point of what you're doing since every last byte will be important. If however you're going to marry this to a full-blown chess engine with a fancy GUI running in 48K then saving those bytes is hardly going to matter is it?

Are you going to write your own AI chess routines or use an existing engine?
How big are you aiming the completed fully-working chess program to be?
When will you consider the display routine finished and start coding the rest of the game?
Last edited by Bizzley on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Just when I think I can't possibly save any more bytes from the current version, or make it any faster, along comes that lightening bolt again!

I've half implemented a rather exciting speed improvement, which began only as a test to write the Right side of the buffer to the screen bytewise, as I'd managed to do in the new small piece test version. I knew the speed improvement would happen, which it did, and by over 0.25 seconds, which is nice. But the bonus came with the realisation that I'd saved 2 bytes in the process! :)

So currently the basic routine including the graphics data and minus the board initialising routine is 503 bytes

To answer the question of my intentions for its eventual size, it will need to be sub 1k. No exception! The engine is already something I'm playing with ideas for, and its actually not too tricky to get basic move legality checking working partially. What I still want is an integrated GUI where the pieces move/ change or whatever to indicate that they are active. Thats still something I'm not entirely sure about despite the tests looking ok. The speed increase will certainly help a lot. Obviously now being so close to 500 bytes, I have to get down below that, rude not to really!

I may make a few further graphical changes to give that a helping hand, and if I can get the Left side of the piece printing byte-wise as I've managed on the right, then who knows, maybe a few more bytes will disappear, and the speed increase again.

It is difficult to know when to stop optimising it when I keep finding more ways to do it. The smaller it is, the more space there is left for the actual game in the end.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

I have already had it running on a 16k machine, and over a year ago I created a version which ran within the screen, hidden behind some carefully placed attributes :D

That might now be an even easier prospect as its a lot smaller and much more flexible that it was back then.

Imagine loading a SCREEN$ and it then runs a Chess game, maybe interesting!
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

arkannoyed wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:20 pm The smaller it is, the more space there is left for the actual game in the end.
Then I will offer the suggestion that once you have worked out this new optimisation you step away from the graphics and take a week or two working on the rest of the necessary code. The idea is not to come up with finished routines but to at least get a rough idea of the size of code you will need to implement a finished game.

Since you are aiming for a <1K game and (if) you already know that the AI and GUI code will be just slightly over 512 bytes in size then of course it make sense for you to continue hammering away at the graphics. If however the figure is a lot more than 512 bytes then you need to shift over to optimizing that instead. If you do not have an estimated size for this code yet then really, the last thing you want to happen is to discover in a few months time that due to the eventual size of the code required all these years spent shaving bytes has been in vain. Unless you end up creating a >1K game in which case, as I said before, saving a few bytes here and there won't really matter.
"He made eloquent speeches to an audience consisting of a few depressed daffodil roots, and sometimes the cat from next door."
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

The GUI test version including all the keyboard reading etc, added around 140 bytes, but that was in no way optimised. Any control system is going to add a fair bit, but its just exactly what method that ends up being, and how it integrates with the display routine. Fortunately, the smaller it gets, it seems to be more stable and allow a much greater degree of input as far as changes go. Thats quite unusual I would think, but there again, the earlier versions were complicated as hell!

Early move legality ideas involve each piece having sort of a self contained algorithm that when called with registers holding the piece and its position and where its to be moved to, it can quickly check if that is in fact a legal move or not. Certain situations like the Pawn initial moves will obviously complicate things a little, but its certainly a challenge!
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Phase one of the re-designed pieces involves trying to make the bases look less chunky, but still retain a compatibility with the original upper parts.

Any thoughts? I kind of like it...sort of?!

bit short perhaps, maybe I'll encode an additional line, hang on...
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

for comparison with a line added;

Only reduces the code size by one lousy byte, but it does give a slightly softer look don't you think?

We're also now down at a mere 0.7 seconds to build the entire board, with the full set of pieces. only a few days ago, it was 1.1 seconds. Thats nearly 1/3rd faster! I'm quite pleased with that to say the least. perhaps I'll integrate the GUI again in this version at some point to see how much better it works.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I kind of want the base outline to be a tad more solid. The dotted line look just doesn’t work for me.

arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

fast;

arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:48 pm I kind of want the base outline to be a tad more solid. The dotted line look just doesn’t work for me.
Ok, give me a little more info, what would you alter? I'll try anything if it fits!

I think I get what you mean, but that adds another 4 bytes, which just isn't Cricket!
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

Spotted an encoding mistake where the new base design should be 4 bytes smaller, so if this alteration were to stay, or at least a variant of it, the size now stands at 498 bytes
Bizzley
Microbot

Post by Bizzley »

I agree with Ast A. Moore in that these new diddly base pixels don't work for me either. To be specific what you have now appears for all the world to look to me like inconsistent highlighting, especially on the black pieces i.e.if the light is coming from the left then why is there a highlight on the right? Please don't fall into the all too-common trap that coders make that just because you understand what things are meant to represent everyone else will understand also. To you it's a bevelled ridge, to me it's a highlight.

I have difficuly understanding why you won't even approach getting a rough idea of how much the code will take other than working on an assumption that a byte saved on the graphics is one that can be used for game code. Have you considered that if the completed game code comes in under 512 bytes then you don't need to bother shaving bytes from the graphics and that you'll be able to go back to the better looking ones from several weeks ago rather than ones that "don't quite look as nice as before" - your words.

So blunt question to you. If the current code does not include any of the following then what is your total estimated non-optimised code size for handling: intial pawn 1 or 2 square movement, en passant, castling, piece promotion, logic of duplicate pieces because of promotion, testing for being in check, testing for invalid movements due to being in check, testing for mate, conceding the game, the GUI and the computer AI routines?

This 1K chess program program has the capability of being something truly unique, something that would transcend this Forum and make an impact outside the narrow field of Spectrum coding. But if you think what I've written is negative in any way or you feel I'm not being constructive in these replies then just say so and I'll bow out and leave you to carry on without any more interruptions.
Last edited by Bizzley on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arkannoyed
Manic Miner

Post by arkannoyed »

To be honest, in logic and gameplay terms, I think you’re ahead of me!