3D Chess 2K18

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
arkannoyed
Microbot

Re: 3D Chess 2K18

Post by arkannoyed » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:27 pm

Yeah, the arrow was just a proof of concept actually. It can go bigger, and even inside a box. I'm actually not that keen on this method, and prefer the raised pieces, which is a much clearer indication of the piece selected.

With an extra bit of code twiddling, the piece could give the appearance of hovering, gradually moving up/ down whilst the square target selection is in progress. Just needs a simple sine type table to cycle through to change the height offset.

That way, it'll always appear active. Visually, movement always helps identify whats going on.

Both methods actually take about the same amount of extra code to achieve.
0 x

arkannoyed
Microbot

Post by arkannoyed » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:25 pm

Mmmmmm....Hovering is a bit too slow to be practical;

0 x

ZXDunny
Microbot

Post by ZXDunny » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:42 pm

How about a 50% dither to mask everything except the piece you're selecting?
0 x

arkannoyed
Microbot

Post by arkannoyed » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:47 pm

Thats a lot of dithering!

That would interfere with the automasking probably too much, causing all sorts of out of place pixels and weird artifacts to appear.

I did try some basic piece masking to dither the selected piece, but that looks a bit odd too.

I'll try and re-create that and show you.
0 x

arkannoyed
Microbot

Post by arkannoyed » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:58 pm

In fact, there are so many ways that it could be done, but as always, the final decision will probably have to be based upon which is easiest and smallest to integrate into the system.

A few more ideas;

skip printing alternate lines of the piece, or swap upon each update of the frame to give a fuzzy sort of effect.
Alternately skip printing the piece altogether every other frame to make it flash.
0 x

arkannoyed
Microbot

Post by arkannoyed » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 am

This test really does fit nicely into the code, adding the fewest number of bytes so far.

The alternating line effect is possible by repeatedly calling the routine, or to save even more space just a static version can be achieved, much faster and using fewer bytes.

Static version;

Last edited by arkannoyed on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Pegaz
Microbot

Post by Pegaz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:50 am

It still seems to me, that the arrow method is the most appropriate here.
We can discuss, how the arrow will look and how big will be, but I would keep that method.
btw, would it also be possible to make moves, by typing anotation eg. c2-c4 on keyboard?
Even the simplest chess programs can be used in this way...
0 x

arkannoyed
Microbot

Post by arkannoyed » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:59 am

Pegaz wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:50 am
It still seems to me, that the arrow method is the most appropriate here.
We can discuss, how the arrow will look and how big will be, but I would keep that method.
btw, would it also be possible to make moves, by typing anotation eg. c2-c4 on keyboard?
Even the simplest chess programs can be used in this way...
That method might be a consideration, but a modern implementation should surely take the graphical approach if possible?

I've not so far investigated this route, however, aside from using the ROM routine to read the keyboard, surely it would and up a little heavy on extra code?

Remember that the aim is to achieve something fitting into 1024 bytes.
0 x

redballoon
Dizzy

Post by redballoon » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:22 am

arkannoyed wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 am

Static version;

I like the effect, but it renders the piece unreadable if there is anything behind it. Out of the options tested, I reckon the arrow is still the best possibility...however, i think an effect on the selected piece would be the best option likecwhat you’re trying with the alternate lines. Course, what that is, I’m not quite sure yet! ;)
0 x

arkannoyed
Microbot

Post by arkannoyed » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:12 pm

The effect is one of those quick and easy things to implement, that if it works is a great bonus. If push came to shove and it had to stay because of the size restrictions, then it wouldn't be so bad.

The Arrow is ok, but might add over +40 bytes in the end, as there are quite a few alterations needed to make it work properly. I'm still keen on altering the piece somehow though.

If speedier building was possible, then it opens up further possibilities to make all kinds of things work.
0 x