How to adapt Donkey Kong to Speccy mode

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Re: How to adapt Donkey Kong to Speccy mode

Post by redballoon »

The answer is no. It does not work at all.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Bubu wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:05 pm Hi!!!!

But this method is very slow, the buffer ocuppies almost the full screen of the Spectrum, and I think it won't work with this game, where I need very high speed with barrels, fires, etc.

Doesn't need to be slow, but you might need to loop unroll some of that code, or make special versions for some or all of the sprites.
Art
Manic Miner

Post by Art »

As highrise is working on Donkey Kong, too, and his version looks very good, Bubu's version development is stopped for now (he has some other Spectrum projects to do). So I would just like to show some graphics I made for Bubu's Donkey Kong in the Art Studio. I was making it as accurate as possible to the arcade version.

Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Art's graphics are exceptional and I hope Bubu finishes his game. Or, could the two projects somehow be consolidated into one?
Bubu
Manic Miner

Post by Bubu »

I agree, Art is pure art :D I'm very happy with our cooperation. And I haven't stopped my developmet, I'm in it, but I'm developing 2 games at the same time :D :D :D

This is how DK's round 1 is by the moment:

Brilliant!!!!
If something works, don't touch it !!!! at all !!!
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

hey guys

yes, I started work on a DK conversion back in 2017, and have been going back to it on and off since then. I decided to work on it in private since I wasn't sure if I would be able to make it work at the level I wanted. Having finished Asteroids I was more confident of getting it right and once I saw you guys were also doing one I thought I should let you know about it. For me it's very much a labour of love, this specific game is the one I've always wanted to convert, so it's a bit of a personal mission that I really want to complete myself. Art's graphics look very nice so I hope I'm not treading on your toes too much, I think they are sufficiently different to my own work (posted) to be distinctive. These are very much 'in progress' as they are being converted from the older versions I did before.

Art
Manic Miner

Post by Art »

Very nice. :) Good luck with your development, but please, make a different title screen, so we can easily distinguish two DK versions.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

I'm afraid I've already agreed to use the artwork by Mark Harrison that he made more than a year ago, I always use the arcade cabinet artwork in this series, as you would expect. It will be changed in a few places, but it's already a finished piece that was published.

Art
Manic Miner

Post by Art »

Oh! :D Well, never mind, it's OK. I see that sometimes it's good to show work in progress, sometimes maybe not. So, probably we will have two similar versions. Better more than none. :)
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

Our tileset for Kong has been significantly overhauled so I thought I'd share it here. Still quite different from yours, these are pretty close to final versions now.