UDG Gallery

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
PeterJ
Site Admin

UDG Gallery

Post by PeterJ »

Hi,

I was just wondering if there exists anywhere an on-line library of UDG's? Iv'e looked around but can't find anything.

Cheers
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: UDG Gallery

Post by Einar Saukas »

You may find something here:

https://sites.google.com/site/zxgraph/

Don't forget to contact the author(s), if there's anything you like.
Kweepa
Manic Miner

Post by Kweepa »

I just uploaded a bunch of my 8x8 UDGs (from crap games, abandoned and not, and from VIC-20 games):
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Feel free to use these if appropriate.

The following are not mine - I took some I liked from VIC tape games:
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Just looking at this again. What I was hoping for was a library of UDGs with the codes so I could drop into my own programs. Assume this does not exist?
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

You could always start one... and I've got a few all ready to go, even if some of them are in redefined-character-set form.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Would there be any interest in this from others?
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

PeterJ wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:05 am Just looking at this again. What I was hoping for was a library of UDGs with the codes so I could drop into my own programs. Assume this does not exist?
I also just found this thread again (after four months...) and I've spent a productive* afternoon listening to Test Match Special and writing a program to load UDGs from tape (i.e. a format which I'd expect such a UDG library to be in), then enlarge each one eight times (for reasons which should be obvious) and dump the codes of each line. It uses a custom character set (sort of, it's just for 1, 0 and space) to make everything clearer, and it also uses the ZX Printer - or, at least, the emulated ZX Printer on Spectaculator, rather than the text dump that's available with FUSE, which I did consider using instead. Here's a sample with the graphics from Super Mario Fruit Machine (which are in no way related to anything Nintendo ever released in the 1980s, oh no):

Grab it if it might be useful.

I've also been thinking of writing another quick* program to LOAD "" SCREEN$, then analyse the entire screen and list the codes for every PRINT AT position - even the two bottom row lines. In effect, all I need to do is take the display file and dump it into an array with all the codes in a different order... or so I think. I'll probably do this in 128K so I can use the RAM disc.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

There are “only” 2^64 possible UDGs. Somebody should make a website that has all of them!
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
+3code

Post by +3code »

Seven.FFF wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:01 pm There are “only” 2^64 possible UDGs. Somebody should make a website that has all of them!
That reminds me this story:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Library_of_Babel
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Very nice [mention]TMD2003[/mention].

Thank you. I'm not a great cricket fan, but do enjoy TMS!
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

TMD2003 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:46 pm or, at least, the emulated ZX Printer on Spectaculator, rather than the text dump that's available with FUSE, which I did consider using instead.
Fuse can output printouts in either/both text and graphics modes, with textfile and graphicsfile options.
The graphical printout is a monochrome Netpbm file aka .pbm
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Nice!
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Seven.FFF wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:01 pm There are “only” 2^64 possible UDGs. Somebody should make a website that has all of them!
Only 400,000,000,000,000,000,000 UDG to map...

Or 405 quintillion.

Sang to the tune of 99 bottles of beer on the wall :lol: 8-)
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

TMD2003 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:46 pm…it also uses the ZX Printer - or, at least, the emulated ZX Printer on Spectaculator, rather than the text dump that's available with FUSE
Thanks [mention]TMD2003[/mention] that could come in handy. I thought I’d give it a whirl on the auld Alphacom, and it works a treat:

TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

In that case, I should probably add it to Spectribution. Who would have thought that such a simple, bog-standard utility would actually be useful?