Tutorial - Create a ZX Spectrum-style loading screen on The Gimp

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
yogyog
Drutt

Tutorial - Create a ZX Spectrum-style loading screen on The Gimp

Post by yogyog »

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Re: Tutorial - Create a ZX Spectrum-style loading screen on The Gimp

Post by djnzx48 »

Nice! That's a pretty interesting workflow for converting pictures. GIMP has put me off in the past with its semi-confusing UI, but some of those features seem quite useful.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Well, I'm going to say something personal now. I hate GIMP ;)

I tried to like it and I couldn't. It had these several windows floating on the desktop and it was terrible but I hear that they changed it later.

But everything else was bad too, very weird and contrary to your intuition. Just try to draw a circle, or read let's say here https://www.wikihow.com/Draw-a-Circle-in-Gimp

Here you are using it more like a converting tool, not a drawing tool and you found your way of working with it. Which is nice.

But just in case, there is also this tool called BMP2SCR, you know? ;)
yogyog
Drutt

Post by yogyog »

I think that The Gimp is more of a conversion tool than a drawing tool - it's name stands for Gnu based Image Manipulation Program, after all.

I'm finding at the moment it's being far superseded by Krita, but I've still not got around to learning Krita.

By the way - can the mods please move this to the Graphics section? I feel it would be more at home there. (newbie mistake)
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

It's a standard rule that Open Source projects have atrocious user interfaces, since most people at that level of programming haven't the faintest idea how to design a user interface that makes sense to an ordinary human being! :mrgreen:
yogyog
Drutt

Post by yogyog »

Sadly - it is kinda true... I still use them though. A good UI is harder than you think - Blender is now able to employ ONE full-time UI professional, and that's the exception (though Blender is like the pinnacle of weird bad open-source UI)
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

It's true that bmp2scr and other screen editors offer a much quicker method of converting images, but this presentation was very entertaining. :mrgreen: Is the white talking mask an original thing? It reminded me of the Magic Mirror character seen in some cartoons. I wish we had games with such character animations, plus AY8912 digitised speech.

Your method may be considered complicated but no one can say it's not precise. Some of us convert images, slap them to our games or demos and call it a day. Your method is slow but the results are better.

What about the pictures that show up on the top-right corner once in a while? Are those images converted with the same method? I can't remember if I've seen them before or not.