Nirvana engine games on real TV?

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
Mozartkügel
Drutt

Nirvana engine games on real TV?

Post by Mozartkügel »

Hi! Did anyone upload or does anyone know where I could find some (youtube) video(s) that would show some games made with the Nirvana engine (for example Manic Pietro or Gandalf) on a real TV and/or CRT TV? Just out of curiosity how it would look "for real" since I don't own a Speccy of my own yet. I was searching quite a lot on youtube but could only find videos of emulation so far.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Re: Nirvana engine games on real TV?

Post by Alessandro »

Judging from my personal experience, i.e. a Samsung LED TV hooked to the Spectrums via RGB/SCART cable, I can tell you that on TV the Bifrost/Nirvana engines look just as good, with the added benefit that sprites appear to move more smoothly than on an emulated Spectrum (for obvious reasons). I did not test them on a CRT TV to be honest.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I have a CRT TV and can attest to the fact that they all look great.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Mozartkügel
Drutt

Post by Mozartkügel »

Thanks guys! Wow that looks so nice! I love that although the colors on screen are increased the graphics still look distinctively "Speccy" because of the static color palette, yay! :D
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

I’ve found that the Nirvana gfx i designed for a “perfect” display like a modern LCD over VGA or HDMI sometimes look disappointing on a CRT, and on LCD over composite.

Notbin every case, but in a few cases where I used a lot of detail, or I positioned similar colours close together.

In future I will check this first, and simplify some of the detail if it doesn’t display well in the worst case.
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins