Best PC program for sprite animation

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
Ralf
Microbot

Best PC program for sprite animation

Post by Ralf » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:17 am

Maybe somebody would have some advice...

So I draw my sprites in some graphic editor and would like to see them in motion.

I'd like to be able to create some pattern of animation where some frames of sprite are displayed longer and some shorter, for example

1,1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,4 and back to 1

So do you have any your favourite PC app to show sprite animation? Free programs preffered ;)
0 x

RMartins
Berk

Re: Best PC program for sprite animation

Post by RMartins » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:36 am

I don't know any that is Spectrum specific, for animations that has the control of frame length that you need.

SevenUp is a nice editor that allows you add frames, and forward or reverse through them using cursor keys.
This is what I use the most.

You can also use GIMP, which as a filter that allows to use Layers as frames, where you can define the length of time for each frame by adding some text to the end of the layer name like "(40ms)". By the way, a spectrum frame takes 20ms.
You can also use GIMP Export feature to GIF as animation.

If you want a really good animation (but not specific for spectrum), I would suggest that you look for PIxelArt Editors with "Onion Skin" Support.

The Best that I know of and have used before is Graphics Gale (Not Spectrum specific).
https://graphicsgale.com/us/

Or you can check pre-compiled lists like the following:
https://www.slant.co/topics/1547/~pixel ... te-editors
0 x

Ralf
Microbot

Post by Ralf » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks for these hints. although actually I've heard about all of them before ;) So my question remains open.

From what I realised there aren't tools for sprite animation only. It's usually a graphic editor having some animation feature.

I suppose I could write such a simple utility myself. Only if I had more time ;)
0 x

hikoki
Berk

Post by hikoki » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:59 pm

The best one? I dunno.
Maybe the free version of Brashmonkey's Spriter.
RealWorldPaint will do what you asked for. See this video where I played with some Mojon Twins' sprite : https://1drv.ms/v/s!AicsUf2EwOukhCAb8u7g1lG9IdND
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:21 am

Any plans to release a game hik?
0 x

ZXDunny
Berk

Post by ZXDunny » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:39 am

BASin can do that.