Free 8x8 ZX fonts for games

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
damieng
Dizzy

Re: Free 8x8 ZX fonts for games

Post by damieng »

That SEMI font looks a bit like OCR-A which I already have a version of so I had a go at adapting my OCR-A to the SEMI one you posted - find it attached.

Feel free to borrow some glyphs for it. The lower-case is tricky as most of these machine-readable fonts did not actually ship with them so we don't have a feel for them even across the MOCR style. I took a queue from the chunky full-stop to do the dots on other characters.

The other problem is that the distinguishing features on the uppers/numerics - those sharp angles can't be done on the lower-case as there aren't enough pixels. I went with a rounded top and squarer bottom to avoid being too round or too square.

IvanBasic
Drutt

Post by IvanBasic »

damieng wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:07 pm That SEMI font looks a bit like OCR-A ...
So many thanks for the quick solving. I had already seen your font and yes it was close. Thanks to your clues, I found that the font is OCR-A, widely persent on fonts websites.

What I didn´t explain well is that the numbers I had already drawn match with the old price label numbers, so I wanted just to perfectionate the letters and symbols, and you did it. It is a pitty I have no examples of letters in those price labels, just the "Y" and "X". Numbers "6" and "9" are not in the label, but I remember them and the OCR-A font confirmed the design.

I am arranging the font set according to all explained.

Thanks!!!

IvanBasic
Drutt

Post by IvanBasic »

A little step forward: the OCR-A is related to the font in "old" credit and bank documents (checks, credit cards), so I found the font "Kredit", which matches what I was looking for:

So, little arrangements made the spectrum font to be done (but subjected to possible revisions):

Patrik Rak
Microbot

Post by Patrik Rak »

damieng wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:23 am They're now up at https://damieng.com/typography/zx-origins/ (currently 108 typefaces and 177 individual fonts when you count all the weights/styles).
Amazing collection.

If I may, little suggestion - it would help when you hover over the font image, it would show up in 2x or maybe even 3x zoomed up version. As they are, they are quite small on modern LCD monitors to figure out the subtle details. I know you can view the simulated usage in magnified versions, but that's still not quite the same as looking at the whole font.

Thanks for considering this.

Patrik
presh
Manic Miner

Post by presh »

Fantastic resource! I nabbed Deaf Metal for use in my game HELL YEAH! :mrgreen:

I've credited you and added a link to the website in the instructions :)

Quantum Sheep
Dizzy

Post by Quantum Sheep »

These are wonderful and useful!

The guy who makes Lantern http://retroteacher.net/lantern/index.htmlhas intimated to me that he's got custom fonts working, so expect to see some of these in future Sheepy games!

Thanks so much!

*sheepyhugs*

QS =D
presh
Manic Miner

Post by presh »

Hey [mention]damieng[/mention], just downloaded Nicety but seems to be missing the Speccy font files? Just BASIC loader in the .tap, nothing else.

Was hoping to use the semi-bold variant in my next effort :)

https://download.damieng.com/fonts/zx-o ... Nicety.zip

Edit: Orbiter seems to have the same issue (another one I had plans for) ;)
damieng
Dizzy

Post by damieng »

Both those download issue should have been fixed a while back.

https://damieng.com/typography/zx-origins/ is now up to 166 typefaces and 310 fonts and now helpfully includes a bunch of filtering options by category/tag on the index page.

[)amien
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Already shared it on Facebook sometime but thought it also appropriate to share in this thread:
I used the FZX version of Scribe in the Prologue section of Pi-Dentity 128.

damieng
Dizzy

Post by damieng »

Looks great! Will give it a try and link to it from the Scribe page.