The Last Ninja loading screen

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
redballoon
Manic Miner

The Last Ninja loading screen

Post by redballoon »

Late last year I was commissioned to produce a ZX Spectrum loading screen as well as a mock-up screen for The Last Ninja, a game that was never actually released, for Frank Gasking's "The Games That Weren't" book (available from Bitmap Books). The book was released last week and I can now show you what it looked like. I haven't made the SCR available (yet), for obvious reasons, but here's some photos of it from the book as well as it loading on my ZX Spectrum Next.

https://twitter.com/hot_piping/status/1 ... 57504?s=20
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: The Last Ninja loading screen

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Wowsers! :shock:
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Hicksy86
Drutt

Post by Hicksy86 »

I know that this is an old post but I was drawn to it because its about the Last Ninja. I'm confused by your initial post though. You say that the Last Ninja was never actually released. I find that strange because I had a version of the game that was released circa 89-90. I remember it well because it came with rubber throwing stars and I think a ninja mask. I had the game on order for months as we had all been teased by released images of the graphics but I think I lost enthusiasm pretty quickly as I couldn't get past a particular point in the game. Mopeds and cigarettes then stole my interest away from the Spectrum until very recently.
Hicksy86
Drutt

Post by Hicksy86 »

Thinking about it, maybe the game I remember receiving and playing was The Last Ninja 2. That game did get released so that's probably the game I remember! If only I still had it!
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Oh it’s all there in the book. Mind I only did the loading screen the in-game mock-up screen. I’ve not got the book to hand to clarify my memory, but The Last Ninja was started on the Soectrum, but it wasn’t quite working out and the original developer left. Mevlut Dinc picked it up and I think started from scratch but the decision was made to leave the original and just produce The Last Ninja 2 conversion.

Interestingly...well, I found it interesting...the original Last Ninja conversion was at a slightly different viewpoint from both the C64 original and all the sequels.
Slider
Drutt

Post by Slider »

Can yo upload your mockup titul screen "The Last Ninja" in .scr-format, please?