My Graphics and how I create them.

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
Dethmunk
Drutt

My Graphics and how I create them.

Post by Dethmunk »

:geek: Hey guys. I've been doing games and graphics etc. on ZX Spectrum for a couple of years now. Thought I'd share some with you..

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

My main program of choice is Adobe Photoshop (CS6 when at home and CC when at work) on PC Windows 8.1. I also have a Huion A4 graphics tablet at home and a Wacom A3 Tablet at work.
When using Photoshop I have a template. I have a half transparent 8x8 pixel checker board layer so I can try to work around colour clash as best I can ;) .

Once a piece is complete and taking it into game I use ZX Paintbrush to load it up and check for any anomalies like more than 2 colours per 8x8 character. Then save it out as a scr file.

Any in-game Sprite work is done with-in AGD itself. Its a pretty basic editor but you can import from a scratch pad, so you could use Photoshop or another package to create these.

Image Image

Anyway I hope you like them and found it semi-interesting in how I create my artwork. ;)
______________________________________________________////
Machines: Retropi - ZX Spectrum (Arcade Cab) - ZX Spectrum NEXT
www.rucksackgames.co.uk
Softology:
Foggy's Quest - Circuitry - The Incredible Shrinking Professor - ? - Rubicon (WIP) - All Hallows (WIP)
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: My Graphics and how I create them.

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Good stuff. Very stylish and colorful!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Dethmunk
Drutt

Post by Dethmunk »

Here's some examples of my in-game stuff.... Some of these got released, some where just deadends (either through technical problems or loss of interest). ;)

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Foggy's Quest and Circuitry both got physical releases too! I was chuffed at that. Hopefully Shrinking Prof will too. :D
www.rucksackgames.co.uk
Softology:
Foggy's Quest - Circuitry - The Incredible Shrinking Professor - ? - Rubicon (WIP) - All Hallows (WIP)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

I have a very similar techniques - working in general, not spectrum specific editor with a grid. In my case it's 20 years old version of Paint Shop Pro ;)

Are you able to see with this grid in Photoshop when you are using bright and when not ?
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Neat stuff! I really liked the graphics in Foggy's Quest. :)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

You should really complete the game from the top middle screenshot. The one with sky, mountains, soldier and some fortress. It looks gorgeous.
moroz1999
Manic Miner

Post by moroz1999 »

Great job! Would you mind if I add it to ZX-Art, including the gorgeous in-game graphics? I'll need SCR files for this task.
Dethmunk
Drutt

Post by Dethmunk »

Thanks guys for the kind words..

@moroz1999 - sure go for it fella. Thought about putting stuff on there. Just haven't got around to it. Lol ;)

@Ralf- Yeah I might. That was one that hit a few technical humps, also I lost interest in it. But I might return to it, if I think it's got legs. :)

@Ralf - As for half bright I haven't really looked at using them on the title screen. I guess they still work with the grid. Might have to brighten the grid to see the dark squares I guess. ;)
www.rucksackgames.co.uk
Softology: