Put Here Graphics That Have Nowhere Else To Go

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Put Here Graphics That Have Nowhere Else To Go

Post by R-Tape »

Does it really not work with dithered pixels? Right now it looks like a full moustache, or if you stare at it long enough, that his top lip has been blown off.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Looks similar to Tom Sellick with a mullet....

However, it's better than the mumble of pixels that I usually throw together.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Yep, looks like some pissed of guy with a moustache ;)
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

OK, i's not supposed to, I would say, but I did a small review, and who knows, maybe I'll finish it some day :)

So much things I would do differently 2 years later.

Most of you probably prefer the "finished" stuff, so no more updates :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Still has a Tom Selleck factor of about 0.686.
RMartins wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:42 pm Most of you probably prefer the "finished" stuff, so no more updates :D
I like seeing works in progress. It gives more opportunity to indulge in my favourite hobby of gently taking the P?s? :mrgreen:
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

R-Tape wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:56 pm Still has a Tom Selleck factor of about 0.686.
RMartins wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:42 pm Most of you probably prefer the "finished" stuff, so no more updates :D
I like seeing works in progress. It gives more opportunity to indulge in my favourite hobby of gently taking the P?s? :mrgreen:
Feedback is always nice, when (gently) constructive. :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Strangely I found this on the web, a 'what if Tom Selleck got the role' reimagining.

(Matt started it sir!)
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Didn't feel like coding, hence ...

Image Image Image Image
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Nice logo work, I had a little play with the upper lip and think dithering is the way to go:

This was my other attempt:

Spoiler
Rui - if I'm going too far just PM me with the message "f*** off" :mrgreen:
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

R-Tape wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 3:03 pm Image

Strangely I found this on the web, a 'what if Tom Selleck got the role' reimagining.

(Matt started it sir!)
Yup, I recall that it was mentioned in the Your Sinclair preview of Indiana and the last Crusade....
and here it is:-
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/mag.php ... 65&page=55
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

R-Tape wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:07 pm Nice logo work, I had a little play with the upper lip and think dithering is the way to go:

LOL

It really looks weird now ;)

Due to scale the upper lip only has 2 or 3 pixels max. And I have no idea what you are trying to do to the mouth.
Those black spots work like lower lip shadow, not a mouth. So it "moves" the mouth up, making face proportions wrong.

The issue here is that dither is used to shade the face, hence any kind of mustache needs to be darker. On the other hand the nose uses bright which makes any yellow pixel on the upper part of mustache too bright, so dither will probably not work as you expect.
I had already changed it a bit when compared with the first version I posted, and it seemed an improvement.
R-Tape wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:07 pm This was my other attempt:

That reminds me of a farwest gun slinger, like one of the guys from "The good, the bad and the ugly".

I don't mind that you play with the image.
It can work out as a nice way to practice.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

It's a good picture, you should definitely try to finish it! :)

Looking at the reference image, it's not a very thick nor dark moustache. I totally understand the restrictions of 1-bit dithering but I think it might look more recognisable as Indy with just simple shading. The beard on his chin already suggest to the viewer that there might be a moustache.

Had a (very) quick go:

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ersh wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:21 am Had a (very) quick go:
Much better than my pouting version!
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

So what is concerning you guys, is that the guy doesn't have a mustache, but an incomplete 2 days beard, that look s like a mustache :)

OK, I'll se what I can do, probably with dithering.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

RMartins wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 2:22 pm So what is concerning you guys, is that the guy doesn't have a mustache, but an incomplete 2 days beard, that look s like a mustache :)
That's probably it. :) A prominent moustache isn't the first thing that comes to mind when I remember the character, just more of a slightly unshaven type of deal.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

This one is a bit of a howler, that would definitely not see the light of day were it not for this thread.

Sorceress doesn't have a loading screen, so I thought I'd have a bash then see if the author wanted to use it. I simply could not make it fly and gave up.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

This one is a bit of a howler, that would definitely not see the light of day were it not for this thread.
For me it absolutely has a chance to become a decent screen. Just add some shadows, details and dithering and it could be all right.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

R-Tape wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:19 am This one is a bit of a howler, that would definitely not see the light of day were it not for this thread.

Sorceress doesn't have a loading screen, so I thought I'd have a bash then see if the author wanted to use it. I simply could not make it fly and gave up.
The witches are fine, except for the arm facing us, which is too short, and there is no hint of being bent to be able to be at that position.
But the right one, seems to have chopped off hand :(

The skull, needs a lot of work still, and those hands on top corners, feel cartoony, when the rest of the drawing is more "serious" looking.

I like those colorful balls/bubbles,
They give a good feel of magic, but I believe they need a Cauldron, or something else to be coming out of. :)

If you put the work, it can improve a lot.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

R-Tape wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:19 am This one is a bit of a howler, that would definitely not see the light of day were it not for this thread.
It's a really good start, just some tweaks and details and it'd be great screen. :)
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

R-Tape wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 10:19 am Image
“IF INDEED YOU REALLY ARE A...” <does air quotes with fingers> “...SORCERESS”
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

redballoon wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 9:31 pm Found another lot of all unused graphics. This time from a shmup.
The mountains look great. It's cool to have 2-4 large tiles that can be repeated in any order (or maybe 1 big and a couple of half-sized ones) so that they're not blatantly looping in the background. Then you can just about afford the memory to pre-shift them in their entirety. What you would need though is for the furthest right and left 8 pixels of each tile to match up so that they still tile when pre-shifted.

A long time ago I tried to write a shoot-em-up with UDG-based sprites, accelerated a bit with machine code. I've long since lost it as it would have been on tape or wafadrive.

Anyway, I designed some similar looking sprites to those (inspired by C64 stuff like IO and DELTA where ships are always flipping over) but using 3x3 characters. This let me use the paper colour to set a coloured orb in the centre of the sprite about which the outer part rotates. I'd use white ink with e.g. red paper in the centre cell, then there'd be three pixels in an 'L' shape set in each corner, then four white pixels alongside it in the adjacent character cells. It looked like a red ball with a 1-pixel white outline, which was pretty neat. Then the rest of the sprite was animated around that.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

This is the sort of thing I used to sketch - you'll have to imagine it animated to flip over. Original version on the left, stippled and detailed to the right, depending on how organic or techy you want it to look. Not sure if the use of BRIGHT adds anything . Maybe the first one was better all just brilliant white.

Being character-based, the idea was to re-use parts of this basic enemy design for other types of craft, e.g. different coloured cores, C-shaped craft, craft with fixed cockpits and rotating mid-sections, or using the middle frames of the flipping animation for side-on-ring ships banking up/down.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Joefish wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:25 pm ...

Being character-based, the idea was to re-use parts of this basic enemy design for other types of craft, e.g. different coloured cores, C-shaped craft, craft with fixed cockpits and rotating mid-sections, or using the middle frames of the flipping animation for side-on-ring ships banking up/down.
You do realize, that now, you have to find the missing graphics and/or remake them into an animated GIF right ? 8-)
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Some more participants, would be nice.

Go fetch some from the dust trunk :D
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »