Tulkk – Deliberation. Colour pixel art.

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: Tulkk – Deliberation. Colour pixel art.

Post by Einar Saukas »

This picture looks great!

The textures on the girl's right side hair look too regular (it's too obvious they were automatically generated, as Ralf pointed out), also the shape of the guy's left shoulder needs further work. Everything else looks good to me!

IMHO other details like using green are style choices, that's not necessarily wrong. Just my 2 cents...
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Thanks for the feedback Einar! With the girl's hair I tried to vary the gradient to suggest some volume while still keeping it as straight and smooth as I could, it doesn't bother me half as much as the barbarian (though I like the expression I got on his face).
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Th lady looks nice, although the image overall looks a bit too bright, at least in parts.
I love the face and hair of the "Barbarian".

There are some proportion issues on the "barbarian".
- The head is too small for his body, but some art freedom, can be exercised here.
- There are some weird proportions on the arms, going from bulky in shoulders to skinny near the hands.
- The rib cage muscles, showing on the left and right side, seem unbalanced, left side looks lower than right.
- The Arm on the left, looks particularly odd, due to the blocky look of the space between the arm and torso.
- The sword, although nice, seems to have too much dark around it, like if it was a dark glow, that looks like trying to avoid blending it with the surroundings

Suggestions, you might get away, with making the "earth"/ground/hill where the castle stands in RED, to make the Castle pop more, with it's magenta color.

Some use of darker shades on the back, on stuff that are far away, like the ground, the castle, etc... could help give it a sense of volume, since the light is coming from the right side, it could be darker on the left side, for example. The Blue background, could also sell a sky that goes from darker to lighter with height.

You have very good "pixeling" skills, but for example in the Lady air, I would try to avoid that squareness feeling that we get from the shading.
It seems that is made of "lego" blocks, instead of a more smooth surface.

Keep on practicing those bold colors, since you are on to something cool.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Thanks for the feedback Rmartins! I'll keep practising. :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ersh wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:46 am This turned out to be a right sh*te to work on, I ran out of steam and debated on whether to release it at all.
I'm glad you did, it's a great screen.

Apart from the left hand side arm I think the barbarian is fine. To my eye the proportions are exaggerated enough to fall safely within overmuscled fantasy/comic hero guidelines. Can't be having a puny barbarian.

I like the bold colours that make this a dreamscape, it would be interesting to see someone try a version with more pedestrian colours for comparison (I had a bash this affa and failed miserably, lots of inverted pixels!).