Vortex Tracker help

On the creation of AY or Beeper music, including the packages used to do so.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Vortex Tracker help

Post by R-Tape » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:21 pm

There is a specially gifted 1% of the population that don't find AY Trackers impenetrable—SCIENTIFIC FACT.

Sorry for being dense here, but is someone willing to clearly explain the simplest way of creating a new file in Vortex Tracker, and inputting one line (or the minimum necessary), so that it makes a sound (any sound, even a horrible one) when you press play.

I've read up on how the AY chip works, and even still I am closer to being able to write my own AY engine than I am to get a single sound out of an Vortex Tracker.
1 x

lister_of_smeg
Berk

Re: Vortex Tracker help

Post by lister_of_smeg » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:29 pm

I know this doesn't answer your question, but have you tried Arkos Tracker 2?

http://www.julien-nevo.com/arkostracker/
0 x

utz
Berk

Post by utz » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:34 pm

https://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/27/v ... racker-ii/ ;)

Btw the most recent version of VTII is available at https://bitbucket.org/ivanpirog/vortext ... downloads/ . The above tutorial is for original VTII though, but it should be enough to get you started either way.
0 x

hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:57 pm

0 x

djnzx48
Microbot

Post by djnzx48 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:25 am

Just to note, a couple of things to watch out for in VT 2.5 are the "Envelope as Note" and "Decimal for Noise Level in pattern and sample" options. I don't recommend saving your song with either of them enabled, as it will get corrupted if you use envelope notes lower than C-1 or noise values >= $0a. It should be fine to use them otherwise as long as they're turned off for saving.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:48 pm

It's still 'Vortex Tracker Help', but a different problem, so I'll post it here.

Someone has provided me with an .AY file that gives the following error when opened in both VT 2 and 2.5.
Text module loader error

Module not found (line: 1)
Any ideas?
0 x

PROSM
Berk

Post by PROSM » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:20 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:48 pm
It's still 'Vortex Tracker Help', but a different problem, so I'll post it here.

Someone has provided me with an .AY file that gives the following error when opened in both VT 2 and 2.5.
Text module loader error

Module not found (line: 1)
Any ideas?
.AY files are generally used to store music rips from games; they contain the original music handler code and the accompanying data, so the music player is essentially an emulator without video output. As such, I don't think .AY files will open in VT. I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject however, so I may be wrong.
0 x
All software to-date

Current Projects:
Currently working on ZX Adventure Designer, which lets one create point-and-click graphic adventures for a 48K Spectrum.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:18 pm

PROSM wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:20 pm
.AY files are generally used to store music rips from games; they contain the original music handler code and the accompanying data, so the music player is essentially an emulator without video output. As such, I don't think .AY files will open in VT. I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject however, so I may be wrong.
Cheers. I've asked for more info on how it was made (it's for Woot), but I've not heard back yet. Depending what I hear back, I might have to miss this one out.
0 x