The "Name That Tune" thread

On the creation of AY or Beeper music, including the packages used to do so.
TMD2003
Manic Miner

The "Name That Tune" thread

Post by TMD2003 »

Possibly to be taken in conjunction with Rorthron's quest to discover classical music in Spectrum games, which ballooned into the addition of known music cues into ZXDB...

There are a few games which I think I recognise the music to, but can't place it, and I'll start with these three (with two tunes between them):

Oddi The Viking (2010)

(There's 30 seconds of the opening tune from 0:14 to 0:44. If that isn't enough, grab the game and let it play longer.)

I don't know why, but something is telling me this is some kind of 1970s classic rock that I should recognise, but don't.

Worm (1998) and Flappy Bird ZX (2014)

Look in the comments under the Flappy Bird RZX Archive video, and I'm not the only one wondering about this. What I do know is that the AY tune was used before on Worm by Master Home Computers Group (.TRD only, obviously). Given that game's Russian origins, was the tune taken from a Soviet-era children's TV programme or something similar? (I'd put a ruble or two on it being Nu, Pogodi!)
1 x
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Re: The "Name That Tune" thread

Post by Ralf »

Flappy Bird Zx is my job :)

But music is not mine. I took an existing tune for it without checking its origin much.
Here's the original:
https://zxart.ee/eng/authors/s/simon/ka ... id:184527/

The title is "Kalambur" and after some search it seems it comes from a Russian film:
3 x

TMD2003
Manic Miner

Post by TMD2003 »

And I lose two rubles! Although I claim one ruble back for knowing it'd be Russian.

A bit of extra searching shows that Kalambur is the name of the TV programme, it ran from 1996-2001, and Derevnya Durakov was one of its sketches - the bit of music I was looking for being its theme tune, or one of its theme tunes, or at least associated with it. This clip has it featured prominently, although I found a fair few others that didn't.

It's been converted for the Game Boy as well.

Cheers for your investigation, Ralf! Well mown, you've earned yourself a sopocka sandwich with extra Winiary majonez.
0 x
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!

cmal
Microbot

Post by cmal »

Aliquid Simplex by David Aspinall (Your Computer Type-in, 1984) has 4 or 5 tunes just in the one game! They sound really good for Speccy music. Does anyone know any of the tunes? I recognize them but I would be interested to know what they are.
- There are two opening screen tunes.
- There's a different tune when you complete a level
- There's yet another tune when the game is over
- Did I miss any?

Not bad for a type-in!

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... id_Simplex

0 x

TMD2003
Manic Miner

Post by TMD2003 »

cmal wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:21 am
- There are two opening screen tunes.
Couldn't work those out.
cmal wrote:
- There's a different tune when you complete a level
3:50-3:57 - L. van Beethoven, Ode to Joy - a.k.a. the "national anthem" (cough!) of the EU. Evidence: https://youtu.be/-kcOpyM9cBg?t=170.
cmal wrote:
- There's yet another tune when the game is over
...which is a slightly extended version of the "lose a life" tune. Still, I don't know this one.

Any classically-trained musicians know those I don't?
0 x

Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

The Oddi the Viking tune is familiar. I can't place it, though.
0 x

TMD2003
Manic Miner

Post by TMD2003 »

When Daren uploaded the RZX I'd made of Corona Capers, he told me it had a copyright claim on it so he couldn't monetise it - not that the RZX Archive is monetised, anyway - but still it told me that YouTube's Automated Thought Police is now accurate enough to recognise a series of PLAY statements as a cut-down version of Iron Maiden's not-exactly-a-big-hit, "Virus".

So I thought I'd put the Thought Police to good use, and four minutes of the Oddi The Viking opening theme might trigger something in the algorithms. So far there's nothing, but there may be one day...
0 x

bluespikey
Berk

Post by bluespikey »

For a type-in thats pretty good. I've have paid £1.99 for that as an Atlantis game back in the day.

The death tune almost breaks into the second movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony.

0 x