#BeepolaFriday

On the creation of AY or Beeper music, including the packages used to do so.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: #BeepolaFriday

Post by R-Tape »

It's great, a bit more raw than the original but less like elevator music for it. Love the bit where it 'goes all squiggly' (3.50 and another time before).
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Thanks! The 'squiggly bit' is one of the most common AY tropes, it crops up in almost every track from the '90s and early 2000s. It seems to have gone out of fashion a bit nowadays though.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Phew!! For the first time I've actually managed to complete a track from start to finish in less than a week. It's a TurboSound (2 AY chips) cover of Telephone Line by ELO, a song about R-Tape's poor phone reception while on holiday.
Spoiler
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqYu9fQbcAA[/media]
telephone.pt3
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Beautiful! (also love racket at the start)

The AY gives it a Japanese feel, I can’t help but picture it as manga end music, usually involving a couple standing on the shore looking out to sea while the credits roll.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Thanks! I'm guessing it's all the harmonies that give it that sound? I tried using just a single chip but I couldn't do it justice, so I thought might as well get my money's worth and make use of all the extra channels.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Now that, is brilliant :D :D

ELO, as well as Fleetwood Mac, Jethro Tull, Motorhead and The Beatles were a massive part of my childhood as they were always being played in the house or in the car. So anything Beep-tastic stuff by any of them will always get Freetime Thumbs Up from me :D

For those that have no idea what Freetime was then here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQbMoCneuaM
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

Brilliant!! You captured all of this track really well, synth phone noises and all. ELO was a big part of my childhood. I used to listen to home-taped ELO on headphones plugged into the Ferguson tape deck that I used with my spectrum. Mono fantastic.

This is a great thread.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Thanks guys! I've got some ideas for more tracks in the future, but if anyone has requests for a track you want me to do, then feel free to PM me or post 'em here.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

but if anyone has requests for a track
You've done it now!

If it was a an itch you ever wanted to scratch I'd like to hear a version of The Elements song, well the modern major general.

https://youtu.be/GFIvXVMbII0

Could be a good demo, either a regular periodic table or a speccy character one.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

OK, I'll give it a go. I'll leave the Currah uSpeech programming part for someone else though!
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

[mention]R-Tape[/mention] how's this? Not my best I'm afraid but passable as long as you don't play it in mono.
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YD9V7l9Wrc[/media]
elements.pt3
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Oh my god that is superb, especially where you change tack at the end. Brought the biggest smile to my face.

This REALLY needs combining with a visual periodic table, I'll have to make some time.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

It's slow going, but I'm getting somewhere. Hope I can do justice to your amazing track :?

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Nice! I imagine it'd look great in colour, as long as there are no problems with colour clash. Don't see what's so great about the track lol, I'm sure it could be done far better ;)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

djnzx48 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:49 am Nice! I imagine it'd look great in colour, as long as there are no problems with colour clash.
It's 18 columns wide unfortunately and 1 char per element is too small, so 14 pix seems the best way to go. Makes colour tricky though.

If only the forces of nature dictated a more sensible number like 16...
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

There's always the possibility of using an alternate periodic table, but I couldn't find any 16 wide ones unfortunately.
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

Thought I'd try my hand at AY tracking, with the improved Vortex Tracker 2.5. The sample bank is a good place to start from, by tweaking the stock instruments.

Couldn't get the theme to this hymn out of my head (showed up randomly in Youtube recommendations):
Spoiler
So I decided to transcribe it, as it seems appropriate (we are nearing Easter, after all):

[media]https://youtu.be/i9mFJ09ZMAU[/media]

Nearly ran out of Friday to do it in, so it's a bit rushed. :P
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Nice work! I like that bassline you did. One thing you might want to watch out for is having multiple channels playing the same note at once, e.g. the chords and the melody line, as then they 'double up' and you can get strange artifacts. It's not too noticable here but it's just something to be aware of. Anyway, this was nicely done and it would be great to hear more tracks from you.
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

djnzx48 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:16 am Nice work! I like that bassline you did. One thing you might want to watch out for is having multiple channels playing the same note at once, e.g. the chords and the melody line, as then they 'double up' and you can get strange artifacts. It's not too noticable here but it's just something to be aware of. Anyway, this was nicely done and it would be great to hear more tracks from you.
Thanks for the kind words and the advice, [mention]djnzx48[/mention]! :)
All software to-date
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I've been playing around with short bursts of music for introducing levels in games. No long tunes, just 5 or so seconds of recognisable melody.
What are you guys using for the screen / audio capture to YouTube video?
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

For my videos I used RealSpectrum for Windows as it has pretty good AVI recording functionality. I then combined that with the audio output from AyEmul, and this involved changing the framerate on the video as it wasn't exactly 50fps. Since I don't have a decent video editor I just used ffmpeg on the command line to put everything together, and I remember it taking a while to get the arguments right.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

Here's another one I did, based off a tracker module. It's too large to be played in most unmodified PT3 players so I just made a video with VT.
Spoiler
[media]https://youtu.be/_I_nAI5IMR8[/media]

Surfing on a Sine Wave
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

Just slipped in before the end of Friday; a pretty basic transcription of the famous piece, Romance D'Amour:

[media]https://youtu.be/SQiJX2k4pxw[/media]
All software to-date
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

PROSM wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:51 pm Just slipped in before the end of Friday; a pretty basic transcription of the famous piece, Romance D'Amour:

[media]https://youtu.be/SQiJX2k4pxw[/media]
Top stuff. It may be a love song originally, but the AY makes it prime material for a Halloween game somehow!
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:24 pm Top stuff. It may be a love song originally, but the AY makes it prime material for a Halloween game somehow!
Thanks! :D
It must be to do with the square wave instrumentation.
All software to-date