Bintracker - New Beeper Music Editor

On the creation of AY or Beeper music, including the packages used to do so.
utz
Microbot

Re: Bintracker - New Beeper Music Editor

Post by utz »

Thanks, you guys! :)

Haha cheers Chris, without looking at Beepola's source code I arrived at pretty much the same conclusion, just haven't implemented it yet. Of course the plug-in system makes things a little more complicated. The idea is that each engine configuration should provide a list of possible breakpoints (because there are engines that don't pass through a single code point for sequence and pattern data read operations). When hitting one of the specified breakpoints, the emulator will do a callback. As long as the UI keeps track of the current playback position, it can automatically determine whether the next operation is a pattern or a sequence read. The only problem is that there may be engines that use pattern jumps. In that case, keeping track of the playback position suddenly becomes much more complicated.

Thanks for your comments 4thRock, much appreciated ;)
4thRock wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:29 pm From a usability point of view, it needs to have active button states.
Yep, agreed. Will work on that.
4thRock wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:29 pm I was expecting the pattern sequence to scroll when I press play. More visual feedback is needed.
Well, as chrrris explained, it's not that easy to do. I do have plans however to have at least some sort of playback position indicator.
4thRock wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:29 pm The program window should maximize and try to show the entire pattern.
On a large monitor I should be able to see the entire pattern at once.
You can change the window size in the ini file. I haven't implemented in-program window resizing yet because that's quite a big can of worms to open, actually. And the graphics code in Bintracker is pretty dodgy already, so I want to rework that first before moving forward with extra features like resize, fullscreen support, different font sizes etc.
4thRock wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:29 pm Nice-to have future feature: real-time recording of multi-key presses, assigning them to multiple channels as needed. So that you could play chords...
That's a good idea, hadn't thought about that. I think on the long run Bintracker also needs to have support for MIDI input ;)