Bomb Munchies

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Bomb Munchies

Post by MatGubbins »

Bomb Munchies
Version 1930 17th Nov 2017

Although I always kid myself that this will be the last update of this game, I take another look through my code and find something that can be rewritten to take less bytes, or make things faster. Then I get new ideas for things that can then be added in those spare bytes.

The last update had 20 spare bytes, I jiggled around with a few routines and got a few more and filled it with this lovely lot.

Added:
One extra frame of ticking bomb, now takes a fraction of a second longer for the bomb to explode and gives everyone that fraction of a second to run away.

New pick-up feature:
The Detonator: When a player collects it, all active bombs within the arena are detonated.
Bombs that are in the process of popping up from the arena floor are not affected.
If you see it, get in quick as it will survive for a short while, before being destroyed by the arena.
The Tryantulas can press the plunger too......

----Danger UXB----
- Small diamond graphic appears in the left status panel when the main diamond has been picked up.
- main diamond now has yellow background.

Keyboard/joystick setup page.
---- Multi-direction on/off ----
New option to have the diagonal input on/off with joystick and selected key inputs.
Player 1 press A
Player 2 press S
Player 3 press D
Player 4 press F
The screen will show either a 4-way arrow graphic or 8-way arrow graphic under the player character.

Due to keyboard conflicts (real and emulation) ASWDX and IJKLM are set to 4 way input only
- they will automatically switch to 4-way when selected. No 8-way movement for ASWDX or IJKLM.

Kempston, Sinclair, Fuller, QWERT and QAOPM/Space can have 4-way or 8-way input selected.

Note: the player does not move diagonally, it just registers a diagonal input and might make the game easier
for some people to play. The graphic will jump around when they are in a corner, this is perfectly normal.

If you want all 4 players on joysticks with multi-direction (8-way) on then it is best to use Sinclair 1 and 2 with Kempston 31.
For the forth player you will require:
a) COM-CON interface set up as QWERT, or just use QWERT on the keyboard. (Com-Con works with interface 48k, 128k, +2 grey only)
b) K-55 interface (see Joefish) - it is a modified Kempston interface.
c) Kempston 95 (see velesoft) - requires DivIDE with RTC interface.
d) Fuller interface - this may clash with the Kempston 31/K-55/Kempston 95 input though - be careful.

Remember to switch on the 8 way input for each player, if you want it.

-- Pause Game --
Now works on the intro/story screen of Tryantulas. I had coded it so that the game did not pause on this screen, however, I've moved the pause message up the screen and it now works.
Pressing 'G' pauses the game
'Y' quits to title screen
'N' returns to the game
'R' changes 2D / 3D mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Known bugs that have been around for ever.

Sprite layering - or my legs are above your head and they shouldn't be.
Yup, the game runs as fast as it can, draws sprites 1 to 8 in number order, when they should be re-ordered for how far they are down the screen. Tried to get it working, it did, but when 2 or more players were on the same tile it became a flashing mess with them all competing to be drawn first, last and everything.
So I've kept the old, faster version, It's currently something I can live with.

Player hitting Tryantula and showing a glitch in the lower part of the player graphic.
Yup, this is due to the routine wanting to show 24 bytes instead of 18. It's a pain, but it lasts for only one frame.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New bugs - hopefully there are no new bugs or pixels running around the screen.
If you do see any glitches, stupid things happening or other nastiness in the game that you think shouldn't be there then please let me know

Thanks,

Mat

Download is in my signature below.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Re: Bomb Munchies

Post by RMartins »

Would love to see those known bugs squashed :)

The re-ordering probably looked like a flashing mess because you eventually re-order them again on next frame, when they have the same Y value, which makes them swap depending on your algorithm.

To avoid this, if Y positions are the same keep their natural order (1 to 8), i.e. re-order (swap if required) the two with same Y, but based on their original ID. Next time you will not swap them, since they will be already in the correct natural order.

NOTE: this implies that you need to keep their natural ID.

An eventually faster alternative is to never swap when Y positions are identical.
However, this approach will not be deterministic, i.e. will not always show the same sprite when they overlap.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Bomb Munchies Version 2060 18th Feb 2020

After a long break.....

Many routines rewritten to make them faster and less bytes, shifted stuff around and cleared a few bits of crap out...
this has allowed a few new shiny bits to be added.

Added stuff that covers all the games-
- The screen redraw is a tad faster, it won't notice but yes it is faster.
- 4 Extra frames of a frazzling bomb - it takes a fraction of a second longer for a bomb to explode.
- 2 Extra frames of a bomb popping up from the floor.

----------------

Pause Mode: (Press G during the game)
- Border colour in the game can now be changed in pause mode - by pressing B.
- Screen rendering 2D/3D can be changed in pause mode by pressing R.

----------------

Tryantulas:
- Game complete message now waits for a key to be pressed.
- A few new graphics replace old ones.

----------------

Speed test routine:
Once the game has been loaded it can be activated by pressing P on the title page, the scrolling message
will freeze and the AY music will stop but keep playing the last note (turn the volume down on the TV).
Press SPACE to start and a custom screen will appear and a man will run around the track 5 times, the
game will then pause and show a number at the top left of the screen.

Code: Select all

Toastrack128/Grey+2    EmuZwin2.7      Spin0.666 
 128k +2 3D       1440 [1455]         1432 [1446]    1440 [1455]  
 128K +2 2D       1339 [1353]         1324 [1344]    1339 [1353]  
These are the scores from my Grey+2 and a couple of emulators running on an Atom N270 laptop and a Core 2 Duo E8500 with XP
The scores in [brackets] are from version 1930. It shows that the new version can complete the track in
15 less interrupts (whoopie-doo) than the old version.

48k machines will display a different number as it is slower, the Black+2 and +3 are in a world of their own....

Once the speed test has been done, exit the game by pressing Y and the game will now act as normal.

----------------

Save Game Routine: For those of you that want to transfer the game to a real tape.
(This works on a Toastrack128 and Grey+2)
As the game loads the last long block of data hold and press S on the keyboard. Once the game has
finished loading it will display SAVE ENTER.
Bung a blank tape in, get it recording and press Enter, it will now save the entire game to
tape for you (you don't need to press anything else during the save) This takes about 7minutes.
Once done the game will auto run.

Please note that the save routine will run on a 48K machine but it will save incorrect data, so your
tape won't work on a 128k machine.

Black +2/+3 Your life is in your own hands here... it might work, it might not, depends on if the game
loads in. I've got many different reactions to +2A/+3 emulation that, agghhhh!

----------------

The known bugs(as described in the first posting) are still present, they will remain in stone.

If you do see any glitches, stupid things happening or other nastiness in the game that you think shouldn't be there then please let me know

Thanks and enjoy the game,

Mat

Download is in my signature below.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Bomb Munchies - V2125 4th May 2020... or May the 4th edition (not that it's got anything Starwars in the game... or has it? No, no it does not.)

Tinkerings under the hood stuff...
This version has had a lot of stuff re-written for the menu systems (keys and extra options). It retains the same look as previous editions, just the code is a lot smaller and hopefully it doesn't contain any new bugs. The result is a nice whop-ya-wad on the counter of about 280 spare bytes to be spent on useless tat, bunting, bog rolls and sweeties from Poundland.

The Speed test routine that made an appearance in v2060 has been removed for the moment. The 3D(2.5D) screen rendering engine has been given another bit of fine tuning and is a tad faster per screen redraw than before - 300tstates, but no-one would ever notice, not even me!

Don some gloves and wear a face mask time.... Fuller interface reading has been butchered, diced, squished into a mincer and is a bit quicker and a lot less bytes than before. Hope it still works... does anyone use Fuller? You do? Now wash your hands!!!

Things that have been altered and can be seen.....

P.A.R.T.Y Edition:
The screen that gives the rotating stars score update has been given a slight cosmetic update with the chunky 'RESULTS' banner has been changed to 'SCORES', the chunky bomb graphic is slightly better looking. If a player has been switched off within the keys/menu screen then they will be greyed out on the scores screen.

Tryantulas:
The pickup that allows the player to walk on a web has been altered from a 'star with a mop' on it to a 'man with half a web' on it. It's now in the same style as the walk through bombs/walls pickup..

Yup, I know the game doesn't have any new bright and sparkling gadgets to play with, but it's given me a lot of evenings of scratching around a routine trying to find a better way of doing things to grab those extra bytes. It's learning curve and I'm stupidly enjoying it.

Mat

Download is in my signature below
MonkZy
Manic Miner

Post by MonkZy »

Love this game! My son also loves the UXB mode!

BUT :

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

MonkZy wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:36 pm Love this game! My son also loves the UXB mode!

BUT :

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
Thank you, because Tryantulas have some brains... they know what a bomb looks like, they don't walk into a flame, they can walk out of flames, they will run after you if they see you, they might dodge around a corner to fool you. Oh, they are stupid too, they can be tricked into doing things. The hammer is your friend.
Glad that your son loves the UXB game, the mines are sometimes hard to locate but it keeps the brain matter ticking over.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

I do love Super Bomberman, so gave this a quick go. Really really good. My only minor gripe, though, is the options. All the options. So many options. Options taking up the whole of the screen. It's information overload! Too much information to take in! ;)
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

redballoon wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:41 pm I do love Super Bomberman, so gave this a quick go. Really really good. My only minor gripe, though, is the options. All the options. So many options. Options taking up the whole of the screen. It's information overload! Too much information to take in! ;)
Cheers!

In this day and age a man has to have choices... turn it on or turn it off.

I was thinking of giving an option to turn the options screen on or off, in a Microsoft Ribbon style with an animated Clippy in the corner giving helpful suggestions "It looks like you want to turn off the options.... are you sure?", but I thought that was going a bit overboard.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Bomb Munchies V2150 19thMay 2020

A few rewrites of the 3D map rendering code with a little nudge to draw the map data to the screen has made the game a gnat's chuff quicker.

I've included the Speed test routine in this version of the game too.
Once the game has been loaded it can be activated by pressing P on the title page, the scrolling message will freeze and the AY music will stop but keep playing the last note (turn the volume down on the TV).
Press SPACE to start and a custom screen will appear and a man will run around the track 5 times, (441 screen redraws) the game will then pause and show a number at the top left of the screen.

- once finished, press Y to quit to the menu and the game will be normal again -

These are the scores from my Grey+2 (they should be the same on the black 128K toastrack) that compare the speed difference between the old editions against this latest version V2150.

Fastest   Old     older
Grey+2           V2150    V2060   V1930
128k+2 3D mode   1393     1440    1455    
128K+2 2D mode   1324     1339    1353    

48K, Black +2/AB,+3 and other machines will give different scores.

I can get the 3D render score to 1390 (yes 3 ticks quicker) but it will cost 468 bytes - a waste of good bytes that might come in handy one day! Anyway, there isn't that amount of free bytes remaining, unless I chop out the scrolling message.....

If you don't notice the slight increase in speed then please do not worry, it is not earth-shattering stuff.

Anything else new? Um.. the screen fade routine had a few bytes ripped out and err, that's about it.

Mat

Latest download is in my signature below.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Bomb Munchies V2210 4th July 2020

A lot more re-writing old code and finding quicker ways of getting things done has reclaimed another 562 lovely bytes. They came mostly from the routines written within the 2013-2016 era that have now been sorted and dragged into the 2020s!
The game now runs another gnat's chuff quicker than before...

Fastest  Previous  Old     older
Grey+2           V2210    V2150    V2060   V1930
128k+2 3D mode   1376     1393     1440    1455    
128K+2 2D mode   1316     1324     1339    1353

- Lower score is better/faster -

This new revision has smashed the 1390 3Dmark that I was aiming for in V2150, and broken the 1324 2Dmark that I thought was at first impossible to break.

So.. what else is new?

Tryantulas - some levels have their final reward prizes a bit more randomly placed.

Bug Fix:
Tryantulas -PacMunchies- level:
A small bug appeared after about 5 minutes where the player was stopped from walking into the random prize box, this was due to it constantly trying to drop a nasty into that prize box.

Hopefully there are no new bugs....

Mat

DouglasReynholm
Manic Miner

Post by DouglasReynholm »

I love your dedication to this game, really need to give it a go. Sadly my ZXNext has been a bit sidelined for the time being, and I don't think I've played anything on it for a month now. Soon!
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Thank you, the dedication is due to learning how to write the game, improving what I've already written and adding all those new ideas and features that were not possible for me to write at the time.

Please give it a whirl on your new Next and let me know if it works on there!
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Bomb Munchies - Version 2265 - 5th March 2021

It's that time again, another update of bug fixes and improvements.

Bug Fixes:
Tryantulas - On the level with the mazes and the exploding bombs there would be a very rare situation with the Key being destroyed by a bomb blast/or a pop-up bomb overwriting the Key. Thanks to EmuZWin step back in time feature for proving that my tired eyes were not playing more tricks on me!
Hopefully, that key won't be destroyed anymore

Push Bomb ability - this bug affected all multiplayer games - Single, Party Edition and C-O-L-O-U-R-S that have players switched off within the key/menu screen (as seen below).
The switched off player(s) would not appear on screen, but their ghostly presence would still occupy the starting position, thus a pushed bomb would stop in the square next to the ghostly player, not slamming into the maze wall as it should do.
I thought that I had sorted this unwanted feature years ago, but a few test plays with older versions proved it was buggered. Maybe I had altered something elsewhere and done something stupid.... Oh well, hopefully fixed, done and dusted.

Improvements to the code/game:
Key Menu system improved so that the blue highlight bars don't flicker anymore, the Extra Options screen still retains a slight flicker and redraw annoyance...
No more annoying flickering blue bars on the menu screen

This one took a few weeks to get going, a lot of headaches and moving data tables around.
Tryantulas can now have 8, yup eight of the little buggers running around the screen at the same time - You'll see them when certain conditions happen or when you've spent way too long on a level.
No doubt it'll raise a brand new bug festival within a few days.
I know about the bug of having 8 onscreen, killing one of them and there is no death frazzle, it goes into auto regenerating the next Tryantula.
Now with 8 Tryantulas on screen.... Arrrggh!! C'mon Mat! Give me a break!

Again, more byte saving and lots of other unworthy alterations to the code and graphics. Been fun though!

Sit back and watch a couple of videos of Bomb Munchies (previous versions, but just as valid), it's great to view the different tactics and strategies to win the game.

RZX Archive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uft2Mfmh3xo

Modern ZX-Retro Gaming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o0uUvwUuEY&t=10s

Mat

With love to Nick and Judy on their 5th Anniversary!
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Bomb Munchies - Version 2290 23rd March 2021

Just a couple of additions and bug fixes.

Fixes first, as mentioned in the last update there was a regeneration problem with the Tryantulas and the frazzle effect didn't always
happen. The routine was too eager to grab that dying Tryantula and bung it back alive. A shift around the code found that the wrong value was
there, changed and a failsafe added. Hopefully they can die and frazzle with dignity.

Graphical glitch when the player and a Tryantula collided. Glitch gone.

Frame of bomb appearing in Danger UXB when the player steps on a mine. Gone!

New bit of fluff...

An alternative colour palette in the style of 'Bomberman' has been added.
This can be accessed via the extra options and pressing P to show NEW - I couldn't think of a proper name in 8 letters, but no doubt something will spring to mind in a few weeks time.

Yes, it looks very green....

Tried and tested on my +2Grey via fuzzy RF output and crispy clean SCART, everything looks visible.
Remember there is the FlashIcons ON/OFF option that can be used when the headache starts....

Added another frame of bomb frizzle, this means that bombs take an extra 0.0002 (or something) of a second to explode.

The download (link in my signature) now comprises of the .tap file and a .WAV file (saved via Tape2WAV 1.8, Woody) in 8bit mono, I've added an extra 1 second of blank space at the end of the recording so that the last byte is not missed when it is played on my Nokia phone to load it into my +2.
Gahhh!! Sendspace might time out - try again later in the evening........

Any bugs or strange stuff happening with the game then please let me know.

Have fun and enjoy!

Mat
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Bomb Munchies - Version 2310, 3rd April 2021

Bug found.

The previous two uploads of Bomb Munchies - V2265 and V2290 contain a stupid bug....

Play any of the games and return to the title page, press Enter to bring up the keys/joystick menu screen.
If keys 6,7,QWERT,ASDF,I,Enter are pressed then the game will continue as normal.
However, if keys 1,2,3,4 are pressed the game would freeze or reset.

This was due to moving a data table that held current key register to what I thought was a safe unused place in high memory, so that the extra Tryantula data table could be added in its memory place.
So was it a safe place Mat? No, no it was not. It got overwritten with some map data once a game was played and the key registers became corrupted. Bugger!

As in a previous posting..
"This one took a few weeks to get going, a lot of headaches and moving data tables around."
"No doubt it'll raise a brand new bug festival within a few days."
Yes, damn right it did.
Has it been sorted and fixed. Yes. That's good.

Added fluff
Tryantulas: When these little gits regenerate or appear from a crate they now stand looking to the left or the right. It's not important, just gives them a little bit of variety.

AY explosion noise: Now a lot deeper, crunchy and better. Remember to switch the AY music off first so that the AY/Beeper option becomes active.

Technical stuff:
Now down to 5 free bytes, it might be a while before anything new can be added. There's not much else I can prune or rewrite.

Download in my signature below... it's a Sendspace link.

Any bugs or strange stuff happening with the game then please let me know.

Have fun and enjoy!

Mat
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

This file has been deleted and it cannot be restored. Please contact the sender and ask them to upload the file again.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

patters wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:25 pm
This file has been deleted and it cannot be restored. Please contact the sender and ask them to upload the file again.
Thanks, I'll get that sorted later tonight.
Grab the latest version 2310 from here.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... b_Munchies
Sol_HSA
Microbot

Post by Sol_HSA »

This looks amazing for an ULA graphics game.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Hi - just noticed that the game incorrectly detects as 48K only when running on a Toastrack with a DIVMMC Future, so no music.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

patters wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:54 pm Hi - just noticed that the game incorrectly detects as 48K only when running on a Toastrack with a DIVMMC Future, so no music.

Ah, didn't see the posting Patters, thanks for letting me know.

First things....
--Remove the DIVMMC Future--

Load Bomb Munchies via tape (.tap via a phone/audio system etc) into the toastrack via the 128 menu system (tape loader).
Does 128k mode with music get detected properly?

Try again loading Bomb Munchies in 128 basic with LOAD""
Does that work properly with AY music?

I own a +2 grey and loading Bomb Munchies from tape gives AY music in 128k mode, (both the 128 menu loader and 128 basic LOAD ""), no music in 48k mode.

Are there any other problems with loading Bomb Munchies on other 128k machines - +2black,+3?

I've got a +2 grey and loading from tape gives AY music in 128k mode, (both the menu loader and LOAD ""), no music in 48k mode.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

As I understand it, connecting a divMMC puts a 128k Spectrum into USR0 mode to avoid issues with the 128K ROM.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Thank you Bob for your input on the USR 0 mode of the interface.
It required the basic loader to have some OUT 32765 paging commands as well as the POKE 23388,n paging commands to get things working in USR 0 mode.
I've tested a loader on my +2 grey in USR 0 mode and got it working. I need to somehow shuffle a few bytes around to get the new loader into the game - it has a self save routine built in for easy copying!

Hopefully get a new version ready for before the year is out.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Great stuff. And no rush by the way, I'm away from my Spectrums until the new year ;)
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

Bomb Munchies with DivMMC Future testing version 2360 24th Dec 2021 available

If you're desperate to have this new version then please PM me with your email address and I can send it to you - might be a day later...

This is a full edition of the game, but it does mention the DivMMC testing within the scrolly message, and some of the scrolly has been removed because of it.
Danger UXB has had some internal modifications done to it but the game play is not affected (unless I've messed something else up during the last month of jabbing at random keys)

Bomb Munchies has been tested within SPIN .666 on all three 128k machines.

From the menu loader - all work in 128K with AY music.
Within +2/+3 basic with LOAD "" - all work in 128k with AY music
Within +2/+3 basic into USR 0 mode with LOAD"" - these all select 128k edition and give AY music.
48k mode from the menu system gives 48k mode and no music as normal.

Typing SPECTRUM to select 48k mode:
Toastrack and +2 Grey will load as 48k edition.
Black +2 and +3 will load the game as 128k with music.

Thanks to Patters for bringing the hardware conflict to my attention and to Bob Fossil for mentioning the auto USR 0 selecting mode on the DivMMC hardware.

Back to wrapping/unwrapping presents.....

Mat