ZX Spectrum Reviews

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
Vampyre
Manic Miner

ZX Spectrum Reviews

Post by Vampyre »

Hi guys,

A year ago (almost to the day) I announced the closure of the ZX Spectrum Reviews website. In the meantime I've still been adding reviews to the database and have just completed all 100-odd issues of the C+VG reviews.

Earlier this year I did actually find some free ASP.NET hosting and resurrected the site albeit in a different form - as a REST API instead. You can still use the http://www.zxspectrumreviews.co.uk link to get to the home page which will give some instructions on how to use the API and how to interpret the results. The SC developers have been aware of this for some time and did integrate into it on the staging site but I'm not sure how far that has gone with the live version.

Anyway, I thought it was about time to announce it officially, and by all means anyone can start using the API. There are no restrictions other than the (rather limited) amount of bandwidth provided by the hoster. IIRC this is about 5Gb per month so it's not a lot I'm afraid. I do have plans to have the site as an integrated API and "normal" website that'll be similar to the old one, but that's quite a way off as development hasn't started on that yet.

One last thing: I've been keeping a spreadsheet log of the reviews that aren't Speccy reviews from ACE, C+VG and The Games Machine. These are all flagged in the SPOT database (and therefore ZXDB, Infoseek) as Spectrum reviews but they clearly are not. Similarly there are some reviews that are missing which have also been added. There are other reviews from all of the other magazines too that, unfortunately, I didn't log in the past so there's some reverse engineering there to pluck them out. If anyone wants a copy of this spreadsheet, just let me know and I'll forward it.

Vampyre.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/