Advanced Spectrum Arcade Simulator

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
SteveSmith
Dizzy

Advanced Spectrum Arcade Simulator

Post by SteveSmith »

(Apologies if this is in the wrong forum). As any hobby gamedev will testify, maintaining interest in a single game is a problem, but I've hit on a solution: a game that is actually lots of different games. And what better subject matter than the games of the Spectrum, so may I announce my Advanced Spectrum Arcade Simulator.

There's a range of arcade machines to play, all set to free mode!

When you play one, you actually play the game in 3D in a Tron-stylee. Wherever possible, I've used the original Spectrum graphics for the 3D textures (and at the very least, the actual colours). I've got about 8 games so far; here's a few:-

There's still lots of work to do to tidy it up, both regarding the graphics and the games themselves (the Floaters being a particular problem). I'll probably open-source it rather than do a formal release sometime.
0 x

Ralf
Dynamite Dan

Re: Advanced Spectrum Arcade Simulator

Post by Ralf »

I'm not sure if I understand correctly...

You are doing 3D remakes of several Spectrum games and keeping them in a single project where they are presented as selectable arcade machines. Would that be right?
0 x

SteveSmith
Dizzy

Post by SteveSmith »

That's pretty much it. Here's a very short vid (made a few weeks ago so it's a bit out of date) showing the general idea:
2 x

beanz
Microbot

Post by beanz »

I like the idea of a 3D ant attack! the ants need to look like ants though and not spiders.
0 x

SteveSmith
Dizzy

Post by SteveSmith »

I'm trying to include as many references to Spectrum games as possible, and the spiders are a reference to Horace and the Spiders. :) (At least, until I can find a 3D model of an ant).
0 x

4thRock
Microbot

Post by 4thRock »

Interesting idea!
My dream is a 3D room where you have the different spectrum models complete with peripherals and you can interact with them.
It would be nice to grab a tape and press play :D
0 x

hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Cool project! There are Ant Attack city models on thingiverse.com and 3dwarehouse.sketchup.com
I looked for some Doom mod based on Ant Attack a few years ago but didn't find anything.

There is a virtual reality speccy emulator on sourceforge, ZXVR by Yomboprime, though seems discontinued.
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish »

Looks really good - I'd love to see an FPS version of an Ultimate or Ritman isometric game.
Not sure how you'd do something like Manic Miner - maybe have successively higher platforms set back from one another so you jump 'into' the screen. Then to fall from a higher platform to a lower one you jump 'out' of the screen.
0 x

Turrican
Microbot

Post by Turrican »

Cool!
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish »

Actually, if you could do an isometric game as a third-person 3D platformer like 3D Mario, that'd be pretty impressive.
0 x