ZX ZOO DEMO : A full zoo inside 48K at 3,5Mhz :)

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
maeloterkim
Drutt

ZX ZOO DEMO : A full zoo inside 48K at 3,5Mhz :)

Post by maeloterkim »

-------------------_______________________________---------------------------------

ZX ZOO DEMO : a full zoo inside 48K at 3,5Mhz :)

Because is full screen, you will have a better experience if go away from the screen at least 2 meters :)

You can see a video demo here

You can download the tap file here
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: ZX ZOO DEMO : A full zoo inside 48K at 3,5Mhz :)

Post by R-Tape »

maeloterkim wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:50 pm -------------------_______________________________---------------------------------

ZX ZOO DEMO : a full zoo inside 48K at 3,5Mhz :)

Because is full screen, you will have a better experience if go away from the screen at least 2 meters :)

You can see a video demo here

You can download the tap file here
Sounds great, but for some reason I can't decompress that .RAR (using 7zip). Can anyone provide a different download link, and preferably a zip? (Sorry!)
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Saw it on WoS a couple of months back. Not a bad demo.

Yeah, Dave, the RAR unpacks fine on my end. Here’s the link to the zipped version I made (the link will expire in a few days).
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:10 pm Saw it on WoS a couple of months back. Not a bad demo.

Yeah, Dave, the RAR unpacks fine on my end. Here’s the link to the zipped version I made (the link will expire in a few days).
Got it, thanks. I remember it being announced a while back but I can't face WoS since my PMs were stopped.

Fantastic demo! I've only seen it on mobile, but it's a very clever idea. Despite the wide line spacing, the pics look HiRes.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:38 pmI remember it being announced a while back but I can't face WoS since my PMs were stopped.
To be honest, getting my PMs blocked at WoS didn't affect me much. The real problem was when they blocked my post notifications.

I wrote 5,500 posts at WoS in over a decade, spread across a thousand threads. Without notifications, it became impossible for me to continue participating on any discussions there. I couldn't be informed anymore when someone replied to anything I wrote, or posted something in a thread I was following. In order to continue participating, I would have to manually check hundreds of pages every day... Evidently someone wanted to silence my opinions, but it would look too bad if I got banned without reason. Preventing me from knowing about discussions was a "clever" way to keep me out.

But unlike you, I don't have any hard feelings against WoS. Although I don't consider WoS forum relevant anymore, I'm glad it's still online, so everyone can still have easy access to all the valuable information posted there in the past. And although I stopped posting there, sometimes I still login there just to search for some information I previously posted there myself a long time ago.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Sorry guys, I slipped into a moment of wreckless honesty after a few pints too many :o . Didn't mean to take the thread away from the demo.
maeloterkim wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:50 pm ZX ZOO DEMO : a full zoo inside 48K at 3,5Mhz :)
I checked this out again, and it's a rare case where something looks better on mobile!

[mention]maeloterkim[/mention], can you explain a bit about how you made this and how it works? How did you convert the photos into usable data etc?

If I understand correctly this is simply drawing a vertical line every 8 pixels, so an uncompressed full screen needs only 768 bytes. That would allow about 50 screens, so I guess you're compressing as well?

EDIT - I just noticed it draws the next line along each time. Is that what tricks the eye into thinking it's higher resolution than it actually is?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Also - regarding screenshots in the archive, a static .scr really doesn't do it justice. I'll make an animated .gif unless there are objections.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:14 pm Also - regarding screenshots in the archive, a static .scr really doesn't do it justice. I'll make an animated .gif unless there are objections.
No objections on my part. I understand that the idea behind using SCR is “authenticity,” but, come on, anything can be doctored very ease. Besides, SCR doesn’t capture the border, which is often used for neat effects and is part and parcel of the Spectrum “experience.” An animated GIF is an ideal format for demos.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
maeloterkim
Drutt

Post by maeloterkim »

-------------------_______________________________---------------------------------

For all the people that are wondering how was made, this is the explanation

Is the scanimation technique on the zx spectrum :)

It's very simple

1) You just create an scanimation image
Tutorial here Creating Scanimation Image

For every image / gif
2) Put scanimation static image on the screen with the OR Bits off the black bars
3) Rotate value of Bars ( simulate move the transparent page on real scanimation )
4) Goto 2

Is more realistic and fast because is tricking the eye

The first box image is slowed down a bit because is more fast :)

Yes there is compression too because are 19 full screen images on 48K !!!

You can look examples on youtube like this Youtube Scanimation Example

to view all the possibilities

that's all :)