What are your current Spectrum projects?

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
Joefish
Manic Miner

Re: What are your current Spectrum projects?

Post by Joefish » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:00 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:39 pm
Long delays could be an opportunity for some proper in game beeper FX too.
Thinking about this, I don't want to add a big artificial delay in there. But I could do the sort of thing I did with Buzzsaw+, and integrate the beeper loop with the screen copy loop (in Buzzsaw+ a beeper 0/1 was generated after each line of multicolour was copied).

The screen copy loop takes around 1.4 frames. If the game can run in 3 frames then that's nearly a 50% duty cycle for sound effects. I suppose I could artificially extend that period of speaker control, but I doubt I could do anything else productive with that extra time other than twiddle the speaker. If I entered a different loop to do something else then the sound frequency would shift (unless the loop had exactly the same timing as the screen copy). And I wouldn't want to extend it so the game goes any slower than 4 frames.

Come to think of it, the timing of a screen copy is going to be all over the place as it goes in and out of contention, so maybe that's not the best idea I've had...
0 x

Climacus
Berk

Post by Climacus » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:58 am

MatGubbins wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:02 am
Climacus wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:25 am
By now, I dont have any time for coding. Perhaps after summer.
The last Ive done for Spectrum is a video-series (in Spanish) analizing the code of Martianoids in this blog.
Perhaps it can be useful.

https://analisiscodigomartianoids.blogspot.com/

Nice!!
way back in 2002, I wrote a map editor for Martianoids
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... 6&id=16646
Great!!!
Very interesting!!!!!
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Joefish wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:00 pm
Come to think of it, the timing of a screen copy is going to be all over the place as it goes in and out of contention, so maybe that's not the best idea I've had...
You're more of a perfectionist than me! I'd be happy with a (slightly clunky) nearly but not quite constant framerate. I think some decent sounds could be achieved just by 'animating' the speaker twiddles/calculated delays during the spare 2 or so frames every loop.
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:37 pm

Finally some bad weather! Managed to get plenty of coding done on Bean Brothers.
4 x

reidrac
Berk

Post by reidrac » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:16 pm

I'm working on a new game for the Speccy (Castaway was my previous one, that feels ages ago!).

Shot from my ZX Spectrum+ with a Sony Trinitron TV:

Regular screenshoot from emulator:

I'm still not 100% sure what is the game about, but I think it may turn out the game I couldn't make when I released Escape from Colony 8.

A bit of adventure exploring a space base, with puzzles type of use object X with Y. The story may be a continuation of Castaway (not that it is too important).

I'm targeting 48K, but this time I started with my own routines from scratch using SDCC (if I'm not using the SP1 sprite library, it doesn't make sense using the Z88DK compiler). I'm implementing basic 1 char multi-directional scroll, and so far not using SP1 is paying off because I have lots of memory :D

In case you don't know, I usually tweet about 8-bit gamedev (inc. this game): https://twitter.com/reidrac

EDIT: the game title (for now) is Starblind.
3 x

dfzx
Microbot

Post by dfzx » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:45 pm

reidrac wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:16 pm
I'm targeting 48K, but this time I started with my own routines from scratch using SDCC (if I'm not using the SP1 sprite library, it doesn't make sense using the Z88DK compiler).
I can't agree with that! Z88DK provides over 1,000 library routines, all hand coded in Z80 assembler. The SP1 sprite library is just a very small part of it, maybe a couple of dozen routines at most. Nothing in Z88DK forces a programmer to use SP1, or any other part of of the libraries. There's an awful lot of good stuff there, all ready to use!

If you're writing in C for the Spectrum, it makes perfect sense to use Z88DK. In fact, since Z88DK uses SDCC as its C compiler, by using raw SDCC you're really just restricting yourself to a subset of Z88DK anyway.
0 x

Ralf
Manic Miner

Post by Ralf » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm still not 100% sure what is the game about, but I think it may turn out the game I couldn't make when I released Escape from Colony 8.
The graphics looks like they are inspired by Laser Squad ;) Am I true about it?
0 x

reidrac
Berk

Post by reidrac » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:12 pm

Ralf wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:12 pm
The graphics looks like they are inspired by Laser Squad ;) Am I true about it?
Yes, they look similar, but I didn't look at Laser Squad for inspiration until someone said it looked like Laser Squad.

It is just top-down. As I mentioned, I made Escape from Colony 8 (4 years ago): https://www.usebox.net/jjm/colony8/
0 x

reidrac
Berk

Post by reidrac » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:19 am

dfzx wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:45 pm
reidrac wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:16 pm
I'm targeting 48K, but this time I started with my own routines from scratch using SDCC (if I'm not using the SP1 sprite library, it doesn't make sense using the Z88DK compiler).
I can't agree with that! Z88DK provides over 1,000 library routines, all hand coded in Z80 assembler. The SP1 sprite library is just a very small part of it, maybe a couple of dozen routines at most. Nothing in Z88DK forces a programmer to use SP1, or any other part of of the libraries. There's an awful lot of good stuff there, all ready to use!

If you're writing in C for the Spectrum, it makes perfect sense to use Z88DK. In fact, since Z88DK uses SDCC as its C compiler, by using raw SDCC you're really just restricting yourself to a subset of Z88DK anyway.
I've used both SDCC and Z88DK and I think SDCC is a more advanced compiler (I can use C99!). To be honest, other than SP1, input and some very specific runtime support, I always code everything else myself. I use SDCC for my CPC projects, so using it for the speccy wasn't too difficult.

I'm writing a lightweight library in ASM for SDCC, and that's what I'm using for the game (being almost everything else C).
0 x

dfzx
Microbot

Post by dfzx » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:37 pm

reidrac wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:19 am
I've used both SDCC and Z88DK and I think SDCC is a more advanced compiler (I can use C99!).
But Z88DK uses SDCC!* If you build Z88DK yourself you have to apply a small patch to the SDCC source and rebuild the compiler in order to enable a couple of things Z88DK needs. Other than that tweak, Z88DK is SDCC, C99 included.

[*] Z88DK actually provides 2 compilers, SDCC and the older sccz80. You can choose which one you want to use. Nowadays SDCC is the obvious choice unless your project needs some legacy feature support.
reidrac wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:19 am
To be honest, other than SP1, input and some very specific runtime support, I always code everything else myself.
Yes, fair enough. All coders will recognise the fun and satisfaction in that approach. It was just that your original post suggested that SP1 was the only sensible reason to choose Z88DK, which is very far from the truth. :)

Your game looks great so far, way better than anything I'm ever likely to produce!
1 x