ATTR Sprite demo (Sonic)

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
uglifruit
Manic Miner

ATTR Sprite demo (Sonic)

Post by uglifruit »

Having made a tool, to draw stippled ATTR art (see here), it seemed sensible to have a go at doing something with it.

I've been working on an Attr sprite engine, that uses a scratch screen in the background. (this is my third try at this, having got so far in and then confused myself with my own uncommented assembly. Third go I've been much more fastidious with commenting)

The Sprites can be any dimensions up to 24x24 (having this as a flexible number caused me a right headache). I think with a small tweak I can make the sprite size much taller (though obviously it'll not fit on the screen).

Link to .tap file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cuuN_ ... aoDRR6ELE6
CLEAR 23855
PROSM
Manic Miner

Re: ATTR Sprite demo (Sonic)

Post by PROSM »

Nice! Looks good, and fast too. Out of interest, how are you handling the masking? Are you hijacking the FLASH bit, using RLE or something else?
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Sprites are one byte per 'pixel' and the masking is currently anything 'Magenta Ink,MagentaPaper' (0x1b) - but it's my intention to search and replace that at the last minute to be 'flashing bright black' I think.

I was just likely to use black in my drawing, and drawing on a hideous magenta background is easier to see than on black ink on a black background!
CLEAR 23855
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Ooo! Now that looks impressive!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
bobs
Microbot

Post by bobs »

uglifruit wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:33 pm Sprites are one byte per 'pixel' and the masking is currently anything 'Magenta Ink,MagentaPaper' (0x1b) - but it's my intention to search and replace that at the last minute to be 'flashing bright black' I think.

I was just likely to use black in my drawing, and drawing on a hideous magenta background is easier to see than on black ink on a black background!
Very nice! I used the flash bit in splATTR to mask the data.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

bobs wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:33 pm Very nice! I used the flash bit in splATTR to mask the data.
Thanks. SplATTR was such a brilliant use of this art style., and clearly you'd made a very fast engine. I was super impressed with it when it was released ... In fact on your website you quote my review (that I wrote for RGCD) singing its praises!

Did you make the sprites, and store the stuff from underneath to restore later, or build up a double buffered screen layer by layer each frame?

I've taken the latter, easier, approach.
CLEAR 23855
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ooh that's very cool. Whether it's games or demos, this technique hasn't been explored nearly enough.
bobs
Microbot

Post by bobs »

uglifruit wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:08 pm
bobs wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:33 pm Very nice! I used the flash bit in splATTR to mask the data.
Thanks. SplATTR was such a brilliant use of this art style., and clearly you'd made a very fast engine. I was super impressed with it when it was released ... In fact on your website you quote my review (that I wrote for RGCD) singing its praises!

Did you make the sprites, and store the stuff from underneath to restore later, or build up a double buffered screen layer by layer each frame?

I've taken the latter, easier, approach.
The game was entirely double-buffered - since the game scrolls constantly, and I wanted to have animating backgrounds, most of it changes each frame anyway. And it’s only a 768 byte blit - less when you exclude the HUD.