Edge Grinder for the Spectrum

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
R-Tape
Site Admin

Edge Grinder for the Spectrum

Post by R-Tape » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:39 pm

I decided to bite the bullet and produce a Spectrum version of Edge Grinder.

For those not familiar, it's part of a long running Format War collabortition (and if that word isn't in the OED by next year I damn well want to know why) to convert a game from the original C64 version. It started with Edge Grinder, an uncomplicated score attack horizontal shmup. It has no power ups or autofire, but has the novel feature of increasing the score as you grind your ship against the scenery, grind too close and you die.

It boasts colourful graphics, fast smooth scrolling and tumescence inducing music, the c64, CPC and ZXUno versions are amazing. So it'll be hard producing a Spectrum version that is not an embarrassment in comparison, but the good news is there can be more than one version per machine (i.e. someone else could do a better job!).

I've come up with an engine and some filler graphics.

Download snapshot (or zipped snapshot) Keys QAOP-Spc

The technical stuff - I opted for RL (HL) to rotate the buffer, PUSH to move it to the screen (28 X 16 chars). It plays quickly and allows detailed graphics, but there are problems - I want it to run without a HALT for speed reasons, so AY will be an issue. It's possible to play the AY at nearly 50fps by calling it at different places in the code, and I was surprised how okay it sounded.

It won't be finished this year and I'll be asking for help with the graphics and music.
3 x

Spud
Berk

Re: Edge Grinder for the Spectrum

Post by Spud » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:00 pm

That's really impressive stuff!
0 x

4thRock
Berk

Post by 4thRock » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:23 am

Runs great and the graphics are fine!
0 x

MatGubbins
Dizzy

Post by MatGubbins » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:57 am

Looks and plays great.
Can't wait!
0 x
Bomb Munchies Ver1930 17th Nov 2017 (look for the blue download box ) If you get a time-out message and live in the UK then try after 9pm-3am.
Send me a PM and I can email it to you too. Kent, UK

Ralf
Microbot

Post by Ralf » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:47 pm

Great stuff!

I recall seeing it somewhere before, probably some years ago. Is it some long project? ;)
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Cheers fellas.
4thRock wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:23 am
Runs great and the graphics are fine!
There are still a lot of other graphics to do, but none of them are at the top notch quality needed. I think the 'would have been' Armalyte would be a good guide. I'm going to post in Graphics asking for help when I make time.
Ralf wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:47 pm
Great stuff!

I recall seeing it somewhere before, probably some years ago. Is it some long project? ;)
Not this one - I started it around May this year, with EG specifically in mind. I've done loads of different scrolling engines over the years, none of which have made it beyond the demo stage. I think I know the one you mean though, that was RL (HL), PUSH, with OR sprites* behind the raster, this one is similar but XOR'd sprites and no beam sync.

*using this method at 25fps, I think everything just moves too slowly.
0 x

Pegaz
Berk

Post by Pegaz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:53 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:39 pm
I decided to bite the bullet and produce a Spectrum version of Edge Grinder.

For those not familiar, it's part of a long running Format War collabortition (and if that word isn't in the OED by next year I damn well want to know why) to convert a game from the original C64 version. It started with Edge Grinder, an uncomplicated score attack horizontal shmup. It has no power ups or autofire, but has the novel feature of increasing the score as you grind your ship against the scenery, grind too close and you die.

It boasts colourful graphics, fast smooth scrolling and tumescence inducing music, the c64, CPC and ZXUno versions are amazing. So it'll be hard producing a Spectrum version that is not an embarrassment in comparison, but the good news is there can be more than one version per machine (i.e. someone else could do a better job!).

I've come up with an engine and some filler graphics.

Download snapshot (or zipped snapshot) Keys QAOP-Spc

The technical stuff - I opted for RL (HL) to rotate the buffer, PUSH to move it to the screen (28 X 16 chars). It plays quickly and allows detailed graphics, but there are problems - I want it to run without a HALT for speed reasons, so AY will be an issue. It's possible to play the AY at nearly 50fps by calling it at different places in the code, and I was surprised how okay it sounded.

It won't be finished this year and I'll be asking for help with the graphics and music.
Great stuff R-Tape, I will try it later today. :)
So far, there was only one version of a powerfull Russian Spectrum clone, but this announcement is a great thing.
0 x

Hikaru
Dizzy

Post by Hikaru » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:58 pm

Very nice. :)
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:12 pm

Cheers.

Just to add, this is very much a development stage demo. Lots still to do.
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Dizzy

Post by Ast A. Moore » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:34 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:39 pm
I want it to run without a HALT for speed reasons, so AY will be an issue.
Use the floating bus trick for syncing and IM2 for music only?
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.