Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Re: New File Browser for ZX-UNO

Post by bob_fossil »

For those who are just getting a blank screen with their FAT16 cards after running the .dot command could you try downloading the following test version from here and see if the root file listing is now shown?

Don't get your hopes up - on the card I tested with (2gb FAT 16), whilst the blank screen was no longer encountered, navigating into the subfolders didn't work or listed corrupted files - but one problem at a time, eh? :)
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

Amazing work your doing here [mention]bob_fossil[/mention]. I've been waiting for LFN support for the ZX-Uno to come out and this works really well. Thanks for working on this.
ellvis
Drutt

Post by ellvis »

nihirash wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:42 pm ZXUNO, 4Gb Fat16 part.(8 Gb flash) - blank screen.
I had the same problem and updating ESXDOS helped (as my ZXUNO came with some ancient version of it), browser now work. Need to test v0.4 now.
nihirash
Drutt

Post by nihirash »

I'm using single part. card and 0.8.7 esxDOS.

I may try reformat it to fat32 and try again
lordoftime79
Drutt

Post by lordoftime79 »

On my Fat16 card its garbled in some directories.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

andydansby wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:54 pm Amazing work your doing here @bob_fossil. I've been waiting for LFN support for the ZX-Uno to come out and this works really well. Thanks for working on this.
Thanks for the kind words. Glad you like it!
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

lordoftime79 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:31 pm On my Fat16 card its garbled in some directories.
To clarify - you weren't getting any files listed with the previous vesions. Are you now getting some garbled directories with the test version I posted today or with the last release v0.04? The test version fixes a bug where the browser failed to start with a 2GB FAT16 card. There is still another bug I'm currently trying to fix where sub folders are not listing correctly on a 2gb FAT 16 card.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

I've uploaded a new test version here.

On my test 2gb FAT16 card I can now see the root folder and navigate the sub folders correctly.
lordoftime79
Drutt

Post by lordoftime79 »

yes version 3 works on my Fat32 formatted card but I have no luck with Fat16 both the recent version ands the test allow browsing the root but when I go into some folders its garbled!
Spezzi63
Drutt

Post by Spezzi63 »

After my 2GB SD card also had empty content and the file view was destroyed, after saving the content of the SD card,
I reformatted the card (no quick format) and removed all the garbage that was distributed on the card.
A RAR-file from an image of the SD card resulted in 840MB, so approximately 1GB file remnants from Windows times have been present.
ESXDOS backup back on the freshly formatted card, and it works, it works ;)

DivMMC Enjoy / ESXDOS 0.8.5 / Browse v0.05Alpha2
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

lordoftime79 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 3:11 pm yes version 3 works on my Fat32 formatted card but I have no luck with Fat16 both the recent version ands the test allow browsing the root but when I go into some folders its garbled!
I've got a FAT16 2gb SD card and a FAT16 4gb card with a 2gb partition and they both work okay. Initially I had garbled folders with the 4gb/2gb partition card but these started working after the changes in made in the alpha 2 test.

Can you create a .HDF or .IMG file from your SD Card? If you can compress the file (.zip or .rar) and make it available to me via a service like DropBox or Google Drive that lets you share large files, I can download it from there and try and debug the issue.
pjrodriguez
Drutt

Post by pjrodriguez »

First of all, congratulations for your hard work, it's really impressive.
Your .dot file works great on a real Spectrum +3 equipped with a DivMMC Enjoy and a card with a single partition. However, it doesn't work with a card with two partitions, in my case the first one for +3e and the second one for EsxDos.
As a small suggestion, could you tell us where to poke the code to change the colour scheme? In my LCD TV the difference between white and bright white is not big enough.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

pjrodriguez wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:51 am As a small suggestion, could you tell us where to poke the code to change the colour scheme? In my LCD TV the difference between white and bright white is not big enough.
Thanks for the kind words and feedback. I am looking at adding a configuration file so you can specify the colours and maybe the device number to read from to get around issues with multiple partitions. As a temporary workaround you could hex edit the BROWSE file to force different colours - which version number are you using?
pjrodriguez
Drutt

Post by pjrodriguez »

bob_fossil wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:40 am
pjrodriguez wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:51 am As a small suggestion, could you tell us where to poke the code to change the colour scheme? In my LCD TV the difference between white and bright white is not big enough.
Thanks for the kind words and feedback. I am looking at adding a configuration file so you can specify the colours and maybe the device number to read from to get around issues with multiple partitions. As a temporary workaround you could hex edit the BROWSE file to force different colours - which version number are you using?
Thank you for your quick reply, I'm using 0.05 alpha 2.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Okay, so poking or hex editing the code won't do a lot as it was hard coded to apply a BRIGHT on the existing colour. I've uploaded another test version here.

In the .zip are two additional files - default.cfg and dark_green.cfg. Rename one of these files to BROWSE.CFG and copy it into the BIN folder along with the updated BROWSE file. If you used dark_green.cfg, you should have a black and green colour scheme when you start the browser. To go back to defaults either copy over default.cfg (the factory defaults) to BROWSE.CFG or delete BROWSE.CFG.

I'm working on a program to edit these .cfg files but for now you can change them by hex editing the BROWSE.CFG file. It's currently 8 bytes long and has the following layout:

Code: Select all

Top line colour - INK + (PAPER * 8) - defaults to 48 (INK 0,  PAPER 6)
Bottom line colour - INK + (PAPER * 8) - defaults to 48 (INK 0,  PAPER 6)
Border colour - INK - defaults to 7
File colour - INK + (PAPER * 8) - defaults to 56 (INK 0, PAPER 7)
Directory colour - INK + (PAPER * 8) - defaults to 57 (INK 1 PAPER 7)
Selection colour - INK + (PAPER * 8) or BRIGHT / FLASH on their own to apply that on top of the current file colour - defaults to 64 (BRIGHT)
Device number - device to read from 0 - 7, defaults to 1
Spare Byte - 0
Hope that's clear. :) It should make more sense when you see the file in a hex editor. Or you could wait a bit until I get a nicer .cfg editor written.
pjrodriguez
Drutt

Post by pjrodriguez »

I have tested your new alpha, that was fast!
Editing the config file with an hex editor to change the colour scheme works as intended.
Accesing a second partition after entering 2 instead of 1 in byte 7 of the config file works only half way. The command seems to access the partition because the screen shows the current directory, but the directory contents aren't displayed, I get a blank list. However, the delete key goes up a directory although it doesn't display the change and the break key returns to basic.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

pjrodriguez wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:06 pm I have tested your new alpha, that was fast!
Editing the config file with an hex editor to change the colour scheme works as intended.
Accesing a second partition after entering 2 instead of 1 in byte 7 of the config file works only half way. The command seems to access the partition because the screen shows the current directory, but the directory contents aren't displayed, I get a blank list. However, the delete key goes up a directory although it doesn't display the change and the break key returns to basic.
Are the files listed correctly in the browser for the root directory (e.g. if you do '.cd /' and then '.browse')? I have had reports of issues listing and entering sub folders on some FAT16 disks - where nothing is listed or garbage is listed.

Can you create a .HDF or .IMG file from your SD Card? If you can compress the file (.zip or .rar) and make it available to me via a service like DropBox or Google Drive that lets you share large files, I can download it from there and try and debug the issue.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

bob_fossil wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:30 pm ... to me via a service like DropBox or Google Drive that lets you share large files, I can download it from there and try and debug the issue.
A good, easy and free alternative is Wetransfer.com
pjrodriguez
Drutt

Post by pjrodriguez »

I think the problem lies in the allocation unit size. I've been formatting the card (the one with two partitions) with different sizes, always FAT32. With some of them I get garbage in the directory listing, with others weird characters or blank listings.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

pjrodriguez wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:33 pm I think the problem lies in the allocation unit size. I've been formatting the card (the one with two partitions) with different sizes, always FAT32. With some of them I get garbage in the directory listing, with others weird characters or blank listings.
What size is the card? What size are the partitions and what allocation unit sizes were you using? If you can supply a disk image it would be easier than me trying to recreate your problem with the small collection of SD cards I've got here.
pjrodriguez
Drutt

Post by pjrodriguez »

Before trying to send a card image I wanted to tell you that maybe I didn't use the right words to describe my issue. As you can see in the attached screenshot taken from Gparted my 8 Gb card has a first extended partition with 1 Gb of unallocated space needed to be used by the +3e and after a partition for ESXDOS. I have tried different sizes and filesystems, in the screenshot you can see a 2 Gb fat16 partition but the same happens with a fat32 partition using the 6,21 Gb of available space. I'm using ESXDOS 0.8.7.

bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Another test version can be found here. I've fixed a couple more issues in the FAT handling code that I found today.
pjrodriguez
Drutt

Post by pjrodriguez »

Great job, your new alpha is working as a charm with my two-partitions card!
If you want to keep improving your code I can tell you that everything works with a 6,21 gb fat32 partition. However, when I first tried your new alpha on a 2 gb fat partition I got a correct directory display on the root of the card but garbage on subdirectories.
Also the sorting algorithm has some flaws, see attached screenshot, but that's a minor issue.
Congratulations again.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

pjrodriguez wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:22 am Great job, your new alpha is working as a charm with my two-partitions card!
If you want to keep improving your code I can tell you that everything works with a 6,21 gb fat32 partition. However, when I first tried your new alpha on a 2 gb fat partition I got a correct directory display on the root of the card but garbage on subdirectories.
Also the sorting algorithm has some flaws, see attached screenshot, but that's a minor issue.
Congratulations again.
Cheers - we're getting there with the FAT code. :) For the 2gb partition, was it FAT16/32? How was the disk laid out ? Another Gparted screen grab might help.

The sorting code is sorting on the short 8.3 filename, not the LFN. I guess the order of short filenames, HARBIN~1, HARBIN~2, ... HARBIN~6 is not quite the same as their long filename equivalents. I could make the sort use the LFNs but it will make the sort more complicated and slower.
pjrodriguez
Drutt

Post by pjrodriguez »

The 2gb partition was fat16, it's the layout of my previous Gparted screenshot.
Don't worry about the sorting code, it seems that it fails only in some rare occassions.