Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
keithshaw3
Drutt

Re: New File Browser for ZX-UNO

Post by keithshaw3 »

bob_fossil wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:18 pm
You can press delete when entering filenames. Just verified this in SpecEmu and my ZX-UNO.
Odd, did not seem to work for me, will try again...
pjrodriguez
Drutt

Post by pjrodriguez »

Here you have a link to my non-working snapshots.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ye85uyd8wir2 ... i4sFa?dl=0

And yes, snapshots created with default and Dr Slump's nmi work well.
Could you add an option to delete and rename files?
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Spezzi63 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:06 am My dream would still be:
mark, change drive (how Dr. Slumps NMI.SYS "button U"), then insert => then we would have a whole manager :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well, even version 0.8.8 cannot call commands, when you are on hd1, nor can you copy files from hd0 to hd1 :oops:
One version could, but I think it was before version 080 ?

I am also not satisfied with anything ;)
Hi Spezzi63,

I not really understand what you want to say :roll: Maybe you would post this on esxDOS-Forum at http://board.esxdos.org/ in the "Dr. Slumps" thread or the "esxDOS 0.8.8 released" thread instead of this thread here? :?:
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

pjrodriguez wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:17 pm Here you have a link to my non-working snapshots.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ye85uyd8wir2 ... i4sFa?dl=0

And yes, snapshots created with default and Dr Slump's nmi work well.
Could you add an option to delete and rename files?
I've had a look at the snapshots and can see what's going wrong - the code that saves the 49152 bytes of RAM from the file in /tmp/browse.nmi to the snapshot file is failing for some reason on your setup. The extra 128K RAM banks seem to be saving correctly. Could you download this test version, save a snapshot and tell me what (if any) BORDER colour you get and any 'Error!' message you get including the number underneath.
pjrodriguez
Drutt

Post by pjrodriguez »

I'm getting error 0 and blue border.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

pjrodriguez wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:16 pm I'm getting error 0 and blue border.
OK, it appears the error is in the code that tries to open the RAM contents file which is saved to:

Code: Select all

/tmp/browse.nmi
when you initially enter the NMI. It is failing to open it so when it tries to read the contents of the file it's writing the wrong memory into the snapshot. I'm guessing you're not having any issues entering and leaving the NMI menu inside games - games resume correctly and the previous screen is restored?

I've uploaded another test version here to get more information. Again, please note the border colour, error number and text to the right of the error code - this should read something like '/tmp/browse.nmi'.
Spezzi63
Drutt

Post by Spezzi63 »

Luzie wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:07 pm Hi Spezzi63,

I not really understand what you want to say :roll: Maybe you would post this on esxDOS-Forum at http://board.esxdos.org/ in the "Dr. Slumps" thread or the "esxDOS 0.8.8 released" thread instead of this thread here? :?:
We already covered that topic:
http://board.esxdos.org/viewtopic.php?id=80

With emulator FUSE with DivIDE
flash esxdos
DivIDE write protect
DivIDE-Master esxdos088.hdf and DivIDE-Slave any other hdf
Hard reset
go to hd1

P.S. bob_fossil , Sorry, I couldn't help it 8-)
Can the ZX-UNO load an hd1 for ESXDOS ?

greetings
pjrodriguez
Drutt

Post by pjrodriguez »

Problem solved, it was easy, I didn't have a TMP folder! Sorry for the trouble.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

pjrodriguez wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:01 am Problem solved, it was easy, I didn't have a TMP folder! Sorry for the trouble.
Glad you sorted it out. It's also motivated me to add some code into the NMI.SYS to check for the existence of the /tmp folder and create it if it isn't there - to stop this sort of thing happening again in the future. I can't imagine the NMI was working at all for you if it couldn't save that file in the first place?
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:14 pm v0.06
  • Shift + N will now restart the NMI with the file SYS/NMI.ORG. So if you copied the esxdos NMI.SYS to this path, Shift + N would restart the NMI using the default esxdos NMI. To restore the browse NMI, either run the supplied .dot command NMIINIT or hard reset / power cycle your machine.
What do you think on this idea: Shift+N should start a menu which can launch one of multiple "Other/old NMI.SYS"?
E.g. named SYS/NMI.001, SYS/NMI.002, SYS/NMI.003, SYS/NMI.004. Or launch these direct via Shift+1, Shift+2, Shift+3, Shift+4

Thank you for thinking over it and for the work you already done!
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Luzie wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:57 pm
bob_fossil wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:14 pm v0.06
  • Shift + N will now restart the NMI with the file SYS/NMI.ORG. So if you copied the esxdos NMI.SYS to this path, Shift + N would restart the NMI using the default esxdos NMI. To restore the browse NMI, either run the supplied .dot command NMIINIT or hard reset / power cycle your machine.
What do you think on this idea: Shift+N should start a menu which can launch one of multiple "Other/old NMI.SYS"?
E.g. named SYS/NMI.001, SYS/NMI.002, SYS/NMI.003, SYS/NMI.004. Or launch these direct via Shift+1, Shift+2, Shift+3, Shift+4

Thank you for thinking over it and for the work you already done!
Shift + N was added as a workaround for the missing functionality from my NMI in v0.06. I think v0.07 is pretty much feature comparable with the default esxdos NMI (aside from .scr file and screen view from a snapshot file). Why do you need to be able to launch multiple NMIs? I can understand you might want to temporarily switch to Dr Slump's NMI as it has more features - but you can do that within the existing system. As for how useful this would be - let's just say I'm not convinced at the moment. :)
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

bob_fossil wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:29 pmWhy do you need to be able to launch multiple NMIs? I can understand you might want to temporarily switch to Dr Slump's NMI as it has more features - but you can do that within the existing system. As for how useful this would be - let's just say I'm not convinced at the moment. :)
:D It should be a way to make launching/selecting different "old/alternate NMI.SYS" easier to handle for people. And I think this would "finish" peoples (my :lol: ) needs for all the future here as your NMI.SYS offers a "Startramp" for some other NMI.SYS. So your NMI.SYS could be the default/master choice. And if someone wants other NMI.SYS those can be added as NMI.001, NMI.002 and NMI.003 to the /sys/directory. Let me think a little bit so I can convince you a little bit more :lol:
Turrican
Microbot

Post by Turrican »

Hi [mention]bob_fossil[/mention] .
I´m using your browser on my ZX-UNO and it is fantastic!
The feature of switch between machines and turbo modes are awesome!
Congrats.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Turrican wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:53 pm Hi @bob_fossil .
I´m using your browser on my ZX-UNO and it is fantastic!
The feature of switch between machines and turbo modes are awesome!
Congrats.
Thanks for the feedback and kind words. I like watching demos so being able to easily switch between Pentagon and 128k timings was something I had to add - once I found out how to do it. :)
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

Not sure if this has been reported or if it’s known about or an expected result. If I am not using a /TMP directory CTRL-ALT-F5 pulls up the NMI browser almost instantly. If I have a /TMP directory there is a significant delay (16 seconds). Using.browse v0.07.

Andy Dansby
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

andydansby wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:05 pm If I have a /TMP directory there is a significant delay (16 seconds).
I reported a long delay during boot, but I didn’t know what TMP opens instantly without a directory.
Thank!!!
* deleted the TMP catalog *
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

andydansby wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:05 pm Not sure if this has been reported or if it’s known about or an expected result. If I am not using a /TMP directory CTRL-ALT-F5 pulls up the NMI browser almost instantly. If I have a /TMP directory there is a significant delay (16 seconds). Using.browse v0.07.
When you enter the NMI, the browser saves the RAM to a file in the /TMP folder. This gets loaded back in when you exit the browser. This restores the RAM as the browser is loaded into normal RAM as it no longer fits inside the 8k esxdos page and needs additional memory for storing the long filename entries.

On my ZX-UNO I have seen a delay of around 5-6 seconds when entering the NMI with F5 but only on a specific SD card I use for testing (256 mb FAT-32 no brand). With my main SD card (512mb FAT-16 Sandisk) the delay is about a second or so. The first time you enter the NMI it takes a little longer as it's creating the file for the first time. On subsequent entries, the file already exists so it just gets written over.

Your solution of removing the tmp folder will probably end in tears as if you press the NMI in a game and then exit out without the RAM being restored, the screen and address 32768 onwards will have been overwritten - so you might be okay with 16k games. :) I've also changed the code to forcibly create the /TMP folder if it's not there in the next version. :)
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

bob_fossil wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:26 pm
Your solution of removing the tmp folder will probably end in tears
Maybe with tears, but I need to download test files often, and wait 17 every time! seconds before the directory appears - it is annoying.
I do not record snapshots, I only run files.
Yes, I see, memory is lost and destroyed, but for me this is a lesser evil :)
A full reboot and return to the same directory will take much less than 17 seconds)

and yet - saving all the memory in the TMP directory does not help me very much, I am debugging a program that replaces the ROM page with random access memory. I still have to completely overload the machine
Last edited by azesmbog on Fri May 29, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

The SD card I am using for this now is a PNY Elite 16 GB card formatted with FAT32. Is that too large?
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

andydansby wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:44 pm The SD card I am using for this now is a PNY Elite 16 GB card formatted with FAT32. Is that too large?
Curious, I just tested with a Sandisk 16Gb card with the same formatting and files. The .browse and NMI launcher is almost instantaneously loaded. Interesting.
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

Try to defrag the temp file on the slow card, see if that speeds it up.

Do you have a lot of files in the root of the slow card?
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

Seven.FFF wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:35 pm Try to defrag the temp file on the slow card, see if that speeds it up.

Do you have a lot of files in the root of the slow card?
There are hardly any files, less that 10 in the root directory. Trying with a 3rd card now.

Just did and the same slower speed. Interesting. This was with the windows formatter. I'm going to try the SD Association formatter instead.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I use a SanDisk Ultra 16 GB which was £5.50 from Amazon. No problems to date. I use a lot of Raspberry Pis and the speed difference between cards is amazing. I now have a mix of SanDisk Ultras and Samsung Evo Plus. It's getting harder to find the smaller capacity ones though. Transcend seem the only reputable company to do 4GB and 8GB Cards. The Retroleum card needs a 4GB card formatted as FAT16.

I always buy direct from Amazon and make sure it's both sold and dispatched by them. I know there is never any guarantees it won't be a fake, but at least it's reducing the risk.
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

[mention]PeterJ[/mention] the Sandisk works great. I’ll find out in a few minutes if it was my choice in formatters. Trying the SD association now (full format).
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Yes @[mention]andydansby[/mention]. Good move. The SD Card Association formatting tool is very good.

This is a good site (They only review 32GB and higher cards though).

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/revie ... -sd-cards/