Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
Luzie
Manic Miner

Re: New File Browser for ZX-UNO

Post by Luzie »

bob_fossil wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:46 pm Not work as it in crashes or not work as in it doesn't do anything? Did BROWSE_TEST007-1.zip work? The changes I made for BROWSE_TEST007-2.zip shouldn't have changed the NMI reloading code. I've just tried it on SpecEmu and with my ZX-UNO and it's still working for me. Remember that switching NMI only works when the browser is launched from the NMI. If you start from the .dot command, Shift + N is disabled.
Hi, it did nothing. But you supplied me with the solution: I launched it from commandline instead via NMI. Maybe you could at this as a hint into of Help-screen? :D
bob_fossil wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:46 pm
I go to all the trouble of making a LFN browser and you want to see the 8.3 filename? :) It's unlikely that I'll add it in the main display. I may add a hotkey to show additional file properties - e.g. size, 8.3 filename for the selected file. Why do you need to know the 8.3 filename?
I like a quick way to find the 8.3 filename to verify I´m on the same file when using Non-LFN-aware NMI.SYS like Dr. Slumps or the Original NMI.SYS. And: File-Info via Hotkey would be absolutely sufficient for me.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

v0.07
  • Initial support for saving snapshots in NMI. Shift + S now saves a 48k/128k .SNA file.
  • Initial support for POKEs in NMI. Shift + K lets you enter up to 8 POKES which are then applied when you exit.
  • Added support for X8 (28mhz) turbo mode on ZX-UNO (needs EXP27 core). Thanks to azesmbog for supplying the register information to enable this.
  • Shift + U now attaches a .TRD file to a virtual device (0-3). The attached devices are shown as 0123 in the bottom status line when attached.
  • Rewrote .SNA / .Z80 loading code to work more like the original esxdos NMI to fix reported issues.
  • Added setting 'Remember last folder' to BRWSCFG. If you're several levels deep in a folder tree, when you navigate to the parent folder, the highlight will be put on the folder you were just inside rather than back at the start of the entries for that folder.
  • Added additional delay for keypresses when moving the selection and not scrolling to make it less 'twitchy'.
  • Shift + L will now exit the browser and auto type the selected filename into BASIC (.dot command only).
  • Shift + F will now show information about the selected file.
  • Shift + I / O will attach the selected .TAP file to tape input / output.
Download.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Sorry to hijack your thread with my troubles again, but I managed to brick my Uno while trying to update it to E27 (by using the ZX1 firmware from github....*eyeroll.gif*)

It is now displaying a colour pattern, with some text about Spectrum core loaded and waiting for Bios. Uto's FAQ says this is a good thing and it's possible to recover from here by using BIOS .tap file loaded via EAR. And to ask for that file in the forum. The forum is quite dead though, with one bloke telling me to read Uto's guide...surreal stuff :)

Posting on the offhand chance somebody went through this rigmarole and knows what to do next....
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

akeley wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:23 pm Sorry to hijack your thread with my troubles again, but I managed to brick my Uno while trying to update it to E27 (by using the ZX1 firmware from github....*eyeroll.gif*)
I´m pretty sure you can find help here in the forum if you do not hijack this thread and post your problem instead in a suitable Forum section.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

Luzie wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:36 pm I´m pretty sure you can find help here in the forum if you do not hijack this thread and post your problem instead in a suitable Forum section.
This is the only live Uno thread on this forum I could see, with possible high-concentration of Uno users (who are otherwise a reare breed), so I though a a few unrelated posts wouldn't really cause that big a disturbance. But okay, whatever.

I must admit though, that of all my retro-purchases this is the only one I truly regret - it's been nothing but headache since day one.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

akeley wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:58 pm This is the only live Uno thread on this forum I could see, with possible high-concentration of Uno users (who are otherwise a reare breed), so I though a a few unrelated posts wouldn't really cause that big a disturbance. But okay, whatever.

I must admit though, that of all my retro-purchases this is the only one I truly regret - it's been nothing but headache since day one.
Ah OK. I can see your trouble with ZX-UNO. Most of it seem to be Forums/Websites in spanish language. A real problem for those not speaking this language. I think best post it in "Hardware" here. But you too have the option to send PM to someone you read here who owns a ZX-Uno. No problem.

I think you´ve see this in englisch: http://uto.speccy.org/zxunofaq_en.html#unbrick but maybe require this: http://svn.zxuno.com/svn/zxuno/stable/binaries/BIOS/
Good luck with un-bricking!
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

The "anti-brick" mechanism in UNO is really not the best and not easiest :)

In general, I would advise buyers of UNO to immediately buy a USB Blaster Programmer)
I have restored my UNO many times and each time a little swearing (or a lot :)
If there is colored garbage on the screen and it is impossible to enter the BIOS, then the tap file will not help - only the programmer.
And then UNO is a pretty good retro computer, naturally when it works correctly :)
and I agree that updating to the latest version is not the most intuitive, and it’s very likely that everything will be broken. It was high time for the authors to release some kind of utility with one button - DO ALL!
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

akeley wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:58 pm This is the only live Uno thread on this forum I could see, with possible high-concentration of Uno users (who are otherwise a reare breed), so I though a a few unrelated posts wouldn't really cause that big a disturbance. But okay, whatever.

You can also try the ZX-Uno Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... &ref=br_rs
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

azesmbog wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:24 pm In general, I would advise buyers of UNO to immediately buy a USB Blaster Programmer)
It immediately made me order a MiSTer, which is something I have been putting off doing for ages :D

Reason I'm disappointed is because I thought that while totally niche, it's still quite alive. But the forum is tumbleweed-strewn and it seems the devs have moved on to some other similar project. I'm not on fb either.
The ZX core itself is supposed to be pretty good, but the rest is half baked and abandoned, and I actually mostly wanted to use those.

Anyway...I will probably have to send it back to the dude who made it, to be reprogrammed (another expense, ugh) then sell it on. Oh well, lesson learned.

Sorry to have interrupted your thread again, [mention]bob_fossil's[/mention] work here is really great and I will come back once I have some other DIV I could try it on. Unfortunately my other one (Just Nano) also has outdated firmware and won't work with bob's browser.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Post by azesmbog »

akeley wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:23 pm
azesmbog wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:24 pm In general, I would advise buyers of UNO to immediately buy a USB Blaster Programmer)
It immediately made me order a MiSTer, which is something I have been putting off doing for ages :D
MiSTer I also have it, I think under the second honorary number, after the author’s :)
There, too, there are troubles, the project is more interesting, but much more expensive :)
I like fiddling with smaller projects like Una.
Yes, the authors abandoned something on this project, apparently did everything they wanted :)
keithshaw3
Drutt

Post by keithshaw3 »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:05 pm v0.07
  • Initial support for saving snapshots in NMI. Shift + S now saves a 48k/128k .SNA file.
  • Initial support for POKEs in NMI. Shift + K lets you enter up to 8 POKES which are then applied when you exit.
  • Added support for X8 (28mhz) turbo mode on ZX-UNO (needs EXP27 core). Thanks to azesmbog for supplying the register information to enable this.
  • Shift + U now attaches a .TRD file to a virtual device (0-3). The attached devices are shown as 0123 in the bottom status line when attached.
  • Rewrote .SNA / .Z80 loading code to work more like the original esxdos NMI to fix reported issues.
  • Added setting 'Remember last folder' to BRWSCFG. If you're several levels deep in a folder tree, when you navigate to the parent folder, the highlight will be put on the folder you were just inside rather than back at the start of the entries for that folder.
  • Added additional delay for keypresses when moving the selection and not scrolling to make it less 'twitchy'.
  • Shift + L will now exit the browser and auto type the selected filename into BASIC (.dot command only).
  • Shift + F will now show information about the selected file.
  • Shift + I / O will attach the selected .TAP file to tape input / output.
Download.
Amazing work, really appreciated 👍snapshot saving was the only thing making me switch back to the original NMI now its not needed. Dropping back to basic is a really handy thing to have too...

Edit: unfortunately I cant download/test it as my broadband has been out since yesterday ☹

As soon as I'm back up and running (I'm told wednesday) I will give some feedback..
keithshaw3
Drutt

Post by keithshaw3 »

I managed to download from a laptop onto a USB stick and transfer it over, it works a treat :D

All the issues I had have been rectified and am a very happy bunny :D

I like the way you can label the .sna files, very handy.
The poke function is also a handy feature, I have all the crash back issues so I will definitely be trying them out at some point and will report back with feedback once tested.

I don't know hard it would be, but could you add a sort/view option to the files i.e by alphabetical or maybe date added?

K
Spezzi63
Drutt

Post by Spezzi63 »

My dream would still be:
mark, change drive (how Dr. Slumps NMI.SYS "button U"), then insert => then we would have a whole manager :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well, even version 0.8.8 cannot call commands, when you are on hd1, nor can you copy files from hd0 to hd1 :oops:
One version could, but I think it was before version 080 ?

I am also not satisfied with anything ;)
pjrodriguez
Drutt

Post by pjrodriguez »

I wanted to report that the snapshots created with the last version in nmi mode don't work on my real Spectrum +3. If I try to load them from the browser (both normal and nmi mode) or Dr. Slump's nmi the game isn't restored and I get random results.
About the file info I only see the 8.3 filename. Is that its intended behaviour? File size info would be nice.
keithshaw3
Drutt

Post by keithshaw3 »

I tried a save and then reload on my hardware +2 and it worked fine, will test a few more later just to be sure.

K
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

pjrodriguez wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:13 am I wanted to report that the snapshots created with the last version in nmi mode don't work on my real Spectrum +3. If I try to load them from the browser (both normal and nmi mode) or Dr. Slump's nmi the game isn't restored and I get random results.
About the file info I only see the 8.3 filename. Is that its intended behaviour? File size info would be nice.
What games were you trying to snapshot? Where they 48k only games or 128k versions? 48k .sna files are 49179 bytes and 128 .sna files are 131103 bytes long. Are the files the correct size? Any chance you could create two snapshots of a game causing you issues at the same point - once using my NMI and the other with Dr Slump's NMI and make the files available somewhere so I can play spot the difference?

Currently the file info only shows the 8.3 filename. File size is on my to do list.
pjrodriguez
Drutt

Post by pjrodriguez »

I've tested some 128k snapshots and through an hex dump I can see that the first bytes are the contents of the directory where the snapshot was created, which proves that something is miscalculated when they are saved on my real Spectrum +3. I guess that the reasons can be that I am using a card with two partitions or that the device attached to my Spectrum is a DivMMC Enjoy mini (not the pro mini currently on sale). How can I upload one of the wrong snapshots if you want to test it? By the way, the snapshots are the right size and the snapshots created using Dr Slump's nmi work flawlessly.
Maybe for the same reason Shift+N to load the old nmi handler doesn't work either, it resets the machine.
keithshaw3
Drutt

Post by keithshaw3 »

ok, I've tested a snap of Cybernoid 2 in 48k and 128k and they both work fine. links below to the files,

also, just a note, once you start to type a file name you are unable to delete characters using the delete key, is this intentional?

just for reference, I'm using a Divmmc future with 0.86 firmware on a hardware +2 with a non-partitioned 14gb sd card with the latest NMI.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jlnskjhybclfm ... S.SNA?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43awgy4nzxlbc ... E.SNA?dl=0
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

pjrodriguez wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:35 pm I've tested some 128k snapshots and through an hex dump I can see that the first bytes are the contents of the directory where the snapshot was created, which proves that something is miscalculated when they are saved on my real Spectrum +3. I guess that the reasons can be that I am using a card with two partitions or that the device attached to my Spectrum is a DivMMC Enjoy mini (not the pro mini currently on sale). How can I upload one of the wrong snapshots if you want to test it? By the way, the snapshots are the right size and the snapshots created using Dr Slump's nmi work flawlessly.
Maybe for the same reason Shift+N to load the old nmi handler doesn't work either, it resets the machine.
You can upload the snapshots to Dropbox or Google Drive. Do snapshots saved with the default NMI work correctly on your setup?
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

keithshaw3 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:04 pm ok, I've tested a snap of Cybernoid 2 in 48k and 128k and they both work fine. links below to the files,

also, just a note, once you start to type a file name you are unable to delete characters using the delete key, is this intentional?

just for reference, I'm using a Divmmc future with 0.86 firmware on a hardware +2 with a non-partitioned 14gb sd card with the latest NMI.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jlnskjhybclfm ... S.SNA?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43awgy4nzxlbc ... E.SNA?dl=0
You can press delete when entering filenames. Just verified this in SpecEmu and my ZX-UNO.
keithshaw3
Drutt

Post by keithshaw3 »

bob_fossil wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:18 pm
You can press delete when entering filenames. Just verified this in SpecEmu and my ZX-UNO.
Odd, did not seem to work for me, will try again...
pjrodriguez
Drutt

Post by pjrodriguez »

Here you have a link to my non-working snapshots.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ye85uyd8wir2 ... i4sFa?dl=0

And yes, snapshots created with default and Dr Slump's nmi work well.
Could you add an option to delete and rename files?
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

Spezzi63 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:06 am My dream would still be:
mark, change drive (how Dr. Slumps NMI.SYS "button U"), then insert => then we would have a whole manager :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well, even version 0.8.8 cannot call commands, when you are on hd1, nor can you copy files from hd0 to hd1 :oops:
One version could, but I think it was before version 080 ?

I am also not satisfied with anything ;)
Hi Spezzi63,

I not really understand what you want to say :roll: Maybe you would post this on esxDOS-Forum at http://board.esxdos.org/ in the "Dr. Slumps" thread or the "esxDOS 0.8.8 released" thread instead of this thread here? :?:
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

pjrodriguez wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:17 pm Here you have a link to my non-working snapshots.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ye85uyd8wir2 ... i4sFa?dl=0

And yes, snapshots created with default and Dr Slump's nmi work well.
Could you add an option to delete and rename files?
I've had a look at the snapshots and can see what's going wrong - the code that saves the 49152 bytes of RAM from the file in /tmp/browse.nmi to the snapshot file is failing for some reason on your setup. The extra 128K RAM banks seem to be saving correctly. Could you download this test version, save a snapshot and tell me what (if any) BORDER colour you get and any 'Error!' message you get including the number underneath.
pjrodriguez
Drutt

Post by pjrodriguez »

I'm getting error 0 and blue border.