Long Filename Browser for ZX-UNO / esxDOS

Field Programmable Gate Array based devices! As exciting as they sound
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Re: New File Browser for ZX-UNO

Post by bob_fossil »

New test version available here. This just adds screen preview for v2/3 .z80 files in fullscreen browser mode (this only works from the NMI version of the browser) along with some small bug fixes.
zxassembler
Drutt

Post by zxassembler »

Thanks for your effort. I will try the new version. I can't live without this browser in my ZX Uno ;)
velesoft
Drutt

Post by velesoft »

Idea for speed-up start of NMI on DivMMC. Code may detect size of DivXXX ram memory and backup zx ram to this 8kB ram pages without any writing to slow SD card. Standard DivMMC contain 128kB or 512kB of external fast ram.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

velesoft wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:00 am Idea for speed-up start of NMI on DivMMC. Code may detect size of DivXXX ram memory and backup zx ram to this 8kB ram pages without any writing to slow SD card. Standard DivMMC contain 128kB or 512kB of external fast ram.
Do you have any code or documentation for this - e.g. how do I page in the 8k ram page, what address is it paged to, what bank is currently paged in and how do I detect the size of RAM (if any) on the DivMMC? Thanks.
velesoft
Drutt

Post by velesoft »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:12 am
velesoft wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:00 am Idea for speed-up start of NMI on DivMMC. Code may detect size of DivXXX ram memory and backup zx ram to this 8kB ram pages without any writing to slow SD card. Standard DivMMC contain 128kB or 512kB of external fast ram.
Do you have any code or documentation for this - e.g. how do I page in the 8k ram page, what address is it paged to, what bank is currently paged in and how do I detect the size of RAM (if any) on the DivMMC? Thanks.
Yes. All is easy.
OUT 227, 128+page number (0-63) disconnect zx rom and connect from address 0 eeprom 8kB with system and from address 8192 connect 8kB divmmc ram pages.
OUT 227,0 disconnect divmmc memory (if is not automatically mapped before...)
Divmmc system esxdos use only first 40kB of external ram(pages 0-4) and all next pages(5-63) are free ram for your use. Divmmc exist in two memory versions : 128kB and 512kB. 128kB model use pages 0-15 and 88kB is free. 512kB model use pages 0-63 and 472kB is free. Detection is easy. Contact me for more details.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

For anyone feeling brave, I've written a test version of the browser NMI.SYS which uses DivMMC memory paging to reduce the amount of data written to the SD-Card when you activate the NMI. It's still writing a file to the card in the /TMP/ folder but only a fraction of what it did before.

On my ZX-Uno with a particularly slow SD card which took around 14 seconds to get to the NMI, the time is down to a more speedy 2-3 seconds. I'd advise backing up the current NMI.SYS on your card and then copying over the newer version in case you encounter issues and need to restore the old browser NMI.

Please note that this assumes your DivMMC device has 128k of pageable memory. I've tested it with Fuse and my ZX-Uno.

Thanks again to [mention]velesoft[/mention] for pointing me in the right direction and helping me get the code straight.

You can download it from here.
velesoft
Drutt

Post by velesoft »

And why need write to TMP if DivMMC memory is detected ? Standard NMI on Esxdos also use extra ram instead SD card for speed-up.

Big part of DivMMC ram memory is unused then we can use this 8kB ram pages for extended dot commands for example. None 8kB limits as before. But more easy is before dot command backup ZX ram to Divmmc pages and new long dot commands use as standard ZX program and command code may direct access to zx ram image in Divmmc 8kB pages. This enable new features.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

velesoft wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:27 pm And why need write to TMP if DivMMC memory is detected ? Standard NMI on Esxdos also use extra ram instead SD card for speed-up
If the extra DivMMC memory is paged into the same address space as the NMI (0x2000-0x3ffff) as soon as I try to page in the memory from the NMI, I page out my code in the NMI. To workaround this, I save 512 bytes of memory to disk and then relocate the code to copy the RAM to the DivMMC pages there. I then page the NMI back in and carry on the browser startup from there. When I quit the browser, I need to do the same again to restore the RAM from the DivMMC memory pages. I then restore the memory I overwrote for the relocater with the memory saved to disk.

The current esxDOS NMI writes the screen memory to the /TMP/ folder when you enter the NMI.
velesoft
Drutt

Post by velesoft »

bob_fossil wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:41 pm
velesoft wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:27 pm And why need write to TMP if DivMMC memory is detected ? Standard NMI on Esxdos also use extra ram instead SD card for speed-up
If the extra DivMMC memory is paged into the same address space as the NMI (0x2000-0x3ffff) as soon as I try to page in the memory from the NMI, I page out my code in the NMI. To workaround this, I save 512 bytes of memory to disk and then relocate the code to copy the RAM to the DivMMC pages there. I then page the NMI back in and carry on the browser startup from there. When I quit the browser, I need to do the same again to restore the RAM from the DivMMC memory pages. I then restore the memory I overwrote for the relocater with the memory saved to disk.

The current esxDOS NMI writes the screen memory to the /TMP/ folder when you enter the NMI.
My idea is:
- after jump to NMI you can copy small part of zx ram direct to divmmc ram nmi page and copy own "CODE 1" from NMI page to zx ram.
- jump to CODE 1 in ZX ram for full backup of zx ram to unused(free) divmmc ram pages (also small ram part from previous copy CODE 1) and load your NMI code (browser) direct to ZX ram. This way don't need any saving to SD card. NMI only save zx ram from 16384 to 49151 (32kB) to DIVMMC memory. Then DIVMMC model with 128kB external ram will use 32kB for esxdos and next 32kB for zx screen with zx memory backup. And second 64kB of DIVMMC ram is free...
Or after first start of NMI preload all NMI code to free DIVMMC ram pages and may work also without SD card.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

velesoft wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:06 pm
My idea is:
- after jump to NMI you can copy small part of zx ram direct to divmmc ram nmi page and copy own "CODE 1" from NMI page to zx ram.
- jump to CODE 1 in ZX ram for full backup of zx ram to unused(free) divmmc ram pages (also small ram part from previous copy CODE 1) and load your NMI code (browser) direct to ZX ram. This way don't need any saving to SD card. NMI only save zx ram from 16384 to 49151 (32kB) to DIVMMC memory. Then DIVMMC model with 128kB external ram will use 32kB for esxdos and next 32kB for zx screen with zx memory backup. And second 64kB of DIVMMC ram is free...
Or after first start of NMI preload all NMI code to free DIVMMC ram pages and may work also without SD card.
Thanks for explaining this. I get a bit confused with the overlapping memory areas and paging. First option was easy to do. Browser NMI.SYS no longer writes any file to the card when you enter the NMI. I've also tidied up the code so the screen is left untouched when you enter the NMI - I was using screen memory for the relocator routine.

Updated version here.
tom-cat
Drutt

Post by tom-cat »

Hello

Thank you so much for creating this. It is the only thing that was missing for us DivIDE/DivMMC users. Everything works great, the browsing is a breeze. There is only one "minor" think I would request, if/when time permits:
When browsing and the list starts to scroll it slows down a lot, because of font redraw. Would it be possible to add an option that instead of scrolling by one entry when you get to the end, it would jump to the beginning of the next page (or end of the previous page if you go up) ? It would speed up browsing a lot.
arakar
Drutt

Post by arakar »

Hello,
I noticed that with the latest NMI browser version, snapshot saving does not work. It produces error 005 and the .SNA file is 0 bytes long.
Old version which uses tempoprary file works.

Thank you for otherwise excellent file browser.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

tom-cat wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:44 am Hello

Thank you so much for creating this. It is the only thing that was missing for us DivIDE/DivMMC users. Everything works great, the browsing is a breeze. There is only one "minor" think I would request, if/when time permits:
When browsing and the list starts to scroll it slows down a lot, because of font redraw. Would it be possible to add an option that instead of scrolling by one entry when you get to the end, it would jump to the beginning of the next page (or end of the previous page if you go up) ? It would speed up browsing a lot.
Thanks for the kind words. You can use cursor left and right to navigate by page.
tom-cat
Drutt

Post by tom-cat »

bob_fossil wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:31 am Thanks for the kind words. You can use cursor left and right to navigate by page.
Thats true :) It is good enough... thanx.
tom-cat
Drutt

Post by tom-cat »

Has anyone tested this on DivMMC FUTURE ? Can't get it to work... just black screen when starting with NMI or with the dot command .browser.
Works fine on DivIDE (first version).

https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/shop/s ... uture.html
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

arakar wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:00 am Hello,
I noticed that with the latest NMI browser version, snapshot saving does not work. It produces error 005 and the .SNA file is 0 bytes long.
Old version which uses tempoprary file works.

Thank you for otherwise excellent file browser.
Yes, in all the excitement of throwing away the code that saves the contents of the RAM to a file when you enter the NMI browser, I'd forgotten that I used that file to build the snapshot later on. :)

I think I've fixed it now. You might want to give it some further testing. Thanks for the bug report.

Updated version here.
arakar
Drutt

Post by arakar »

Hello,
everything is working fine now. I can save 48k and 128k snapshots just fine with the latest test version.
Just an observation: If I use an exsisting name for snapshot, it produces error 018, but deletes the existing file. For safety reasons, it might be better not to delete the file.
For reference, I am using ZX Spectrum 128k Toastrack with DivMMC Future with latest esxdos.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

arakar wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:41 pm Hello,
everything is working fine now. I can save 48k and 128k snapshots just fine with the latest test version.
Just an observation: If I use an exsisting name for snapshot, it produces error 018, but deletes the existing file. For safety reasons, it might be better not to delete the file.
For reference, I am using ZX Spectrum 128k Toastrack with DivMMC Future with latest esxdos.
The browser was always deleting the snapshot if an error occurred, e.g. if the file already existed. If you re-download the latest test .zip, it should be fixed.
arakar
Drutt

Post by arakar »

Everything is perfect now.
Thanks for the effort!
tom-cat
Drutt

Post by tom-cat »

If anyone can help.
I have a divMMC FUTURE which was working perfectly fine with everything. I just cannot get this Browser to work on it at all. I have tried everything.
Different esxdos versions up to 0.8.8 latest version. Different ZX Spectrums (+, normal rubber, 128k), different formats FAT16 and FAT32, different versions of browser you have posted. Everything works fine with the old divIDE interface and CF card there.
If I start it with dot command .browse I get the yellow line on top, status line with browser version on the bottom for a fraction of a second and then immediately just 0 OK 0:1 message and thats it.
If I srtart if with NMI I get a crash, black border, the file in TMP is created and then reset.
If anyone can help, please. No idea what to try anymore.
tom-cat
Drutt

Post by tom-cat »

Ok, I found a VERY OLD 32MB SD card... formatted this one to FAT16 and IT WORKS !!!
I have tried two 16Gb SD cards and it doesnt work with either fat or fat32... so it is solved.
Didnt know there is a size limit :( Well it doesnt work with 2Gb Sandisk Extreme either...
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

tom-cat wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:06 am If anyone can help.
I have a divMMC FUTURE which was working perfectly fine with everything. I just cannot get this Browser to work on it at all. I have tried everything.
Different esxdos versions up to 0.8.8 latest version. Different ZX Spectrums (+, normal rubber, 128k), different formats FAT16 and FAT32, different versions of browser you have posted. Everything works fine with the old divIDE interface and CF card there.
If I start it with dot command .browse I get the yellow line on top, status line with browser version on the bottom for a fraction of a second and then immediately just 0 OK 0:1 message and thats it.
If I srtart if with NMI I get a crash, black border, the file in TMP is created and then reset.
If anyone can help, please. No idea what to try anymore.
Send me a PM and I may send ypu a ZIP-File containing "esxDOS and New File Browser for ZX-Uno" for you to test.

Have you already tried reformatting SD-Card and copying all files to a freshly formatted Card?
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

tom-cat wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:29 am Ok, I found a VERY OLD 32MB SD card... formatted this one to FAT16 and IT WORKS !!!
I have tried two 16Gb SD cards and it doesnt work with either fat or fat32... so it is solved.
Didnt know there is a size limit :( Well it doesnt work with 2Gb Sandisk Extreme either...
1 GB to 64 GB Cards shouldn´t cause a problem. But always re-format them completely using this: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
tom-cat
Drutt

Post by tom-cat »

I just tried formatting them with the mentioned formatter and the result is the same. Goes back to basic as soon as you start the browser.
I wonder if it has something to do with the speed of the cards? I have found an older 1GB SD card in the back of the closet (literally) and this one is also working fine as FAT16 and FAT32 formatted card. I can use this one, it is big enough, so no problems, and it is pretty fast too, even the NMI version that writes to TMP starts in less than 1s. But it still puzzles me why the 16gb ones and the 2gb one don't work at all.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

tom-cat wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:41 pm I just tried formatting them with the mentioned formatter and the result is the same. Goes back to basic as soon as you start the browser.
I wonder if it has something to do with the speed of the cards? I have found an older 1GB SD card in the back of the closet (literally) and this one is also working fine as FAT16 and FAT32 formatted card. I can use this one, it is big enough, so no problems, and it is pretty fast too, even the NMI version that writes to TMP starts in less than 1s. But it still puzzles me why the 16gb ones and the 2gb one don't work at all.
I´m pretty sure it the write-speed of those cards or simply a hardware-incompatibility. I too have 16GB cards (No-name) which don´t work with my divMMC-devices while others work.