New File Browser for ZX-UNO

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Re: New File Browser for ZX-UNO

Post by bob_fossil »

keithshaw3 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:11 pm
Hi,

Does the new test version load all the file types listed out of the box or are there some adjustments needed within the plugin config?

Keith.
Yes it should, so long as you've copied the BPLUGINS folder into the BIN folder. Plugins are loaded by the file extension so as long as you don't do anything silly like rename a .scr file to a .z80 it should work fine.
1 x

keithshaw3
Berk

Post by keithshaw3 »

Great, thanks I will give it a test in the week and let you know if I encounter any issues :)
0 x

keithshaw3
Berk

Post by keithshaw3 »

Works great thanks, any chance of adding .TZX support?

Keith.
0 x

Luzie
Dizzy

Post by Luzie »

keithshaw3 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:06 pm
Works great thanks, any chance of adding .TZX support?

Keith.
I think I should dampen your hopes for .TZX-Support:

From post (in 2017!) "esxDOS on ZX Next FAQ" on: http://board.esxdos.org/viewtopic.php?pid=279#p279
lordcoxis:
Question: Will esxDOS have .TZX support? Is it a Next exclusive feature?
Answer: Yes, but only for standard data blocks using the ROM loader (just like ResiDOS). It's not a Next exclusive feature.
0 x

keithshaw3
Berk

Post by keithshaw3 »

I think I should dampen your hopes for .TZX-Support:

From post (in 2017!) "esxDOS on ZX Next FAQ" on: http://board.esxdos.org/viewtopic.php?pid=279#p279
lordcoxis:
Question: Will esxDOS have .TZX support? Is it a Next exclusive feature?
Answer: Yes, but only for standard data blocks using the ROM loader (just like ResiDOS). It's not a Next exclusive feature.
Oh, Thanks for the info, I didn't realise it wasn't a feature of esxDos, that's a bummer, guess I will just have to keep converting using an emulator :(
1 x

bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

New test version available here.

I've made some proof of concept changes to the SCR plugin. The plugin system now supports fetching the next or previous file from the browser. You can now use the 1 and 2 keys to move backwards and forwards between screens and SPACE to exit. I've also added an SCL plugin based on @nihirash 's scl2trd C source code. If you select a SCL file, the browser will try and convert it to a trimmed .TRD file and then autostart that file.
1 x

Luzie
Dizzy

Post by Luzie »

Dear Bob,

I discovered a bug which maybe introduced from Final Version v0.11 to Final Version v0.12 and later up to latest v0.13-Test2:

I load your "New File Browser for ZX-UNO" from within "Dr. Slumps NMI navigator v.0.0.17" http://board.esxdos.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1584#p1584 via Hotkey J

This works with \SYS\NMI.SYS from your "New File Browser for ZX-UNO" v0.11 Final (Size=444 Bytes) renamed and copied to \SYS\nmi\old088.sys

But it don´t work anymore with \SYS\NMI.SYS from your "New File Browser for ZX-UNO" v0.12 Final (Size=412 Bytes)
neither with \SYS\NMI.SYS from your "New File Browser for ZX-UNO" v0.13-Test2 Final (Size=411 Bytes)
0 x

bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Luzie wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:14 pm
Dear Bob,

I discovered a bug which maybe introduced from Final Version v0.11 to Final Version v0.12 and later up to latest v0.13-Test2:

I load your "New File Browser for ZX-UNO" from within "Dr. Slumps NMI navigator v.0.0.17" http://board.esxdos.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1584#p1584 via Hotkey J

This works with \SYS\NMI.SYS from your "New File Browser for ZX-UNO" v0.11 Final (Size=444 Bytes) renamed and copied to \SYS\nmi\old088.sys

But it don´t work anymore with \SYS\NMI.SYS from your "New File Browser for ZX-UNO" v0.12 Final (Size=412 Bytes)
neither with \SYS\NMI.SYS from your "New File Browser for ZX-UNO" v0.13-Test2 Final (Size=411 Bytes)
The only change from v0.11 to v0.12 in the NMI.SYS was the usage of divMMC memory bank paging to avoid writing the contents of the RAM to the temp folder. Why this would cause issues with the other NMI browser, I've no idea. You could try using the files from the 'No_MMC_memory' folder and see if they work correctly with it to confirm if this is the cause of the problem. Or just use my browser as your default - the problem should go away then. :)
0 x

bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Luzie wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:14 pm
Dear Bob,

Okay, so I created a new .hdf image with esxdos 0.8.8, the latest version of my NMI browser and v0.0.17 of Dr Slump's NMI browser. When I hit the NMI, I go into Dr Slump's NMI. I press J, the screen flips back to what it was before the NMI (with some extra code running in the screen) before my NMI browser appears. Seems to work fine here.

Code: Select all

/sys/nmi/old088.sys 441 bytes
0 x

pjrodriguez
Berk

Post by pjrodriguez »

Hi Bob,
Thank you for keeping on updating your file browser.
The .scl plugin is a very good idea and in my real Spectrum+3 it creates the .trd in only a few seconds. But the plugin fails to execute the .trd file after creating it (I get an error) and the .trd file has a 8.3 filename. Maybe the two issues are related. Not a big deal but maybe you can fix it.
0 x