Crap 0.1 first assembly project

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
Nomad
Manic Miner

Re: Crap 0.1 first assembly project

Post by Nomad » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:30 am

One question I had was could a game/application be developed to trigger a behavioral contagion event in the user? It has always been a subject of speculation if such a thing is possible without the use of chemical aids. I think in theory it should given the right stimulation work with susceptible individuals. Then it would just be a matter of enough susceptible individuals being in a social network that can share the program.

But then again if it were indeed easy to trigger it would already be widely used in viral marketing.

To be able to determine a individuals nature (extrovert/introvert) from game play would be critical. (extroverts are the most susceptible to behavioral contagion, introverts are far less likely because of personality type to become a vector...)
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Manic Miner

Post by Ast A. Moore » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:04 am

Social networks already do that. The advantage of social networks over games is that far more people use them. Sharing scores/achievements online is the simples way of introducing behavioral contagion into games by exploiting a natural incentive.
1 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Yea I remember Farmville was probably the first online one I felt was diabolical in that regard. I had colleagues and friends begging me to get a facebook just so they could add me in this Skinner box app :lol: Whenever I would see these type of applications at first I think the reaction is disgust but then a part of me wishes I had thought it up because it would be a ticket to riches :lol: I am sure the creator of these apps are crying to their respective therapists over the guilt of manipulating all these plebs :lol:

But I guess now its candy crush.
0 x

Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:51 am

So following a thread on here I got round to reading through the rather wonderful Spectrum Trade Secrets.

Check this out..

Spectrum +3 BASIC...

Spectrum 48k BASIC...

Works in 48k but 3+ basic it fails hard. :lol:

is it a case of..

Image :lol:

I am guessing its because the memory map is subtly different with the +3..

Time to check if 23759,23760,23761,23762 are being left empty with the +3 looking at the output I think I am off by a few bytes...
0 x

Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:02 am

Images are not showing up for me, even on postimage’s site. My curiosity is whetted now though, dammit!
0 x
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
seven-fff.com/blog

Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:10 am

Weird..

Sorry being a potato - realised I didn't explain in the text what it was actually doing. :lol:

Ok this is using pokes to replicate the BASIC INK 7 : PAPER 7

The extremely cheesy first level of source protection. :lol:

Code: Select all

10    LET A = 0
So you have 4 spaces between the 10 and the LET

Then you use direct entry

Code: Select all

POKE 23759,16 : POKE 23760,7 : POKE 23761,17 : POKE 23762,7

0 x

Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:45 pm

I think postimg.org are having DNS problems today, it'll probably sort itself out eventually.

Hmmm, not sure why the +3 is different; PROG lives at the same place, and the program should be stored in the same tokenized form whichever editor is in use, right?
0 x
Robin Verhagen-Guest
seven-fff.com/blog

Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:57 pm

That is what I thought. :lol: But I wouldn't be surprised if there is a interesting reason for this.

On review the trade secrets 'book' is just delicious, it lives up to every assumption you would make about a mail order information product from a computer magazine. :lol:

Some of these tricks are cool. Kinda weird it never got a review in the magazines. Its only ever featured in classified ads.
0 x

Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:26 am

Hey Spectrum people,

I got frustrated with the Trade Secrets archive zip, its non-starch friendly scan layout was a confusing mess for non-Vulcans to use. Something needed to be done. I had two choices,

1. Cry to the internet about the problems and injustice in a sped rage.

2. Do something about it.

Figured the only solution was to re-typeset the document, luckily Trade Secrets is 20 pages of padded typewriter text including the code. So its not like I was re-typesetting War and Peace.

Anyway a few hours of typing, little bit of latex magic and here we are. For the first time in years a readable version of Trade Secrets.
0 x

Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:35 pm

Excellent. I've never read this, and would love to see your version!
0 x
Robin Verhagen-Guest
seven-fff.com/blog