Crap 0.1 first assembly project

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
Nomad
Manic Miner

Re: Crap 0.1 first assembly project

Post by Nomad » Tue May 01, 2018 10:00 am

:lol: *found the documentation for the Ryzen*

I am curious about the thermal performance of the AMD - I am somewhat out of touch with the hardware side of life, years ago AMD was notorious for thermal issues with the chip but now according to the inter-webs they have resolved this. If I can fry eggs off the case will know the internet deceived me :lol:

I was going to go for a mini-form factor case but I was worried about the thing overheating during heavy continuous use.
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Manic Miner

Post by Ast A. Moore » Tue May 01, 2018 10:22 am

No idea, man. I’m on a Mac, and I fry my eggs the conventional way on a skillet with bacon fat. Mmm, eggs.
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad » Wed May 02, 2018 1:11 pm

Today's project time was spent looking at custom fonts. Here is an open major project for an interested person - a great retirement project actually.
SpoilerShow
Go through the archive, and rip every instance of a custom font.
Found an unintentional great source for inspiration on the youtubes - I was just watching some early silent films (hey it's a hobby right?) anyway. I realized its a good source for inspiration for graphics/cut scene ideas.

With the +3 you have a lot of latitude, I don't think that the full potential of the +3 was really ever completely explored. Once you accept the limitations of the spectrum graphics you can do a lot with the system. Multi-loaders become a lot more feasible with the disk system compared to say a Tape.
0 x

Kweepa
Microbot

Post by Kweepa » Wed May 02, 2018 2:59 pm

The font ripping project sounds pretty cool.
It could be done automatically for all the Quill/Paw adventures.
Einar(?) ripped 65 from a bunch of major games for ZX-ALFA.
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.p ... id=0025283
(Then there are all the other 8 bit computer platforms...)
1 x

Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad » Wed May 02, 2018 3:09 pm

Looking at the archive I was curious

a.) how often custom fonts were used
b.) did the same group of fonts get used across many different games or was it a case of many individual fonts getting designed?

Because its a continuous block of memory, of a known length. I think it could be extracted automatically from an image. In the case of frameworks where you know the memory location of the font (like the Quill) it would be pretty straight forward to batch process this.

Data mining of the archive has the potential to answer a bunch of open questions. Not sure how useful it would be but the nerd hoarder in me would be super-satisfied I had every font used in the archive :lol:
1 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Wed May 02, 2018 3:49 pm

Nomad wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:09 pm
Looking at the archive I was curious

a.) how often custom fonts were used
b.) did the same group of fonts get used across many different games or was it a case of many individual fonts getting designed?
I'd love to know this too, and have them ALL stored somewhere for perusal. I doubt we'll get any volunteers for this one!

1982 makes a slow start with custom fonts, a few go for bold Sinclair font, some double height Sinclair, and these titles use their own font:

Bomber
Cosmos
Cyber Rats
Editor Assembler
Kingdom
Meteroids
Planetoids
Space Raiders
Star Fighter
Star Trek
Star Trek 2
Star Fire

Mostly that square 'spacey futuristic' font, looks a bit ropey to some but I love it.

I wish we had a stats guy, a speccy version of Andrew Samson*, who could query ZXDB for anything we could think of. It wouldn't help with custom fonts but a lot of questions could be answered.

*We kind of have this already with Einar, but we can't expect him to do everything.
2 x

Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad » Wed May 02, 2018 11:20 pm

That is the thing, while the end result of having a huge collection of fonts would be fabulous, the work required to get to that point would be a brutal slog. I figure it would take someone with a lot of patients and time on their hands (that is why I figured a retiree would be in the best position to do it.)

I agree with you a 'House stats nerd' would be perfect. A lot of what is written in articles and books on the Spectrum is just speculation/theory. With analysis this could be replaced/supplemented with hard evidence. Just look at what happens when people started to data mine baseball stats - you got answers to all kinds of questions that had been open & bothered people for years. :lol:

*puts on tin foil hat* this was only possible with baseball because the data was available, with the NFL they have flat out refused to provide the data required to do this kind of analysis of American football. You got to question why they would not want that information out in the open... It always bothered me why you couldn't get game data & access to the complete season games from previous years. NFL has all of this in the archive. They just choose to release highlights - that is useless for analysis.
0 x

Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad » Thu May 03, 2018 6:37 am

Nomad wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:20 pm
a lot of patients and time on their hands
For the confused I am not talking about an under-employed doctor/dentist lol

patience... please forgive my spelling mistake. :lol: :lol:

In other news,

I wanted to model the effect of concealment of information within systems by interested actors. That is a crucial thing to be able to model within a simulation.

https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319242996

This all follows on from the books I was reading on thought contagion / memetic transmission.
1 x

Kweepa
Microbot

Post by Kweepa » Thu May 03, 2018 5:13 pm

To extract fonts from all(-ish) games:
  • Download TOSEC from archive.org.
  • Download source to Fuse and recompile it so that it dumps out the 96x8 bytes at (23606) after those bytes change.
  • Write a script to run Fuse for each TOSEC entry.
  • Profit.
1 x

Nomad
Manic Miner

Post by Nomad » Fri May 04, 2018 1:06 am

I was hoping that at some time in the future the 'phantom typist' of fuse would be made script able. This would be a great application for the Phantom typist.

look at the progress list,

open the file.

poke a bunch of memory locations, is it different than the stock memory map?

if so name a file according to some schema dump the contents to the file. update the progress list.

repeat till list is exhausted.
1 x