dsForth/TR-DOS

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
ketmar
Manic Miner

dsForth/TR-DOS

Post by ketmar »

this is recompiled and slightly optimised AberSoft FIG-Forth compiler. actually, it is not FIG anymore, but something inbetween of FIG and Forth-83. it also has words to read/write TR-DOS disks (using sectors as blocks), and simple text file reader from normal TR-DOS disk.

i did most of the work ~15 years ago, using custom decompiler to get the source code, and custom assembler to recompile it. then i forgot about it all, and only found it several days ago. so i took the source, added some code to my UrAsm assembler, and made the whole thing working again.

why it may be interesting: first, it comes with full source code, so you can customize it for your needs. second, the original compiler was located too close to BASIC, so there was no room for TR-DOS buffers. third, it is using custom 6px wide char font (i.e. 42 chars per line). i also did some small optimisations, added some useful words, and replaced simple line input from the original with much better line editor.

this thing is not finished (it is fully working, but TR-DOS interface is very simplistic, and i planned to add more extensions), but i don't think that i will develop it further. so instead of letting it rot on my HDD forever, i decided to make it public. maybe somebody will use it as a base for ZXNext forth compiler, for example. ;-)

in the archive you will find full source code, win32 UrAsm assembler, and compiled .TAP/.SCL (so you can try it in your favorite emulator).

dsForth v0.0.1.
azesmbog
Manic Miner

Re: AberForth/TR-DOS

Post by azesmbog »

Good job!
Jupiter Ace has a built-in Forth.
How compatible is this Forth with that?))
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

dunno. ;-)

this one is close to Forth-83 standard, with some FIG remnants. there were plans to add menu system, fullscreen block editor, sprite system, better 128K support, and so on, but you prolly know how it usually goes with most good plans... ;-)

i decided to publish it because it contains full (and relocatable) source code for AberSoft Forth system. it is quite good, and was used as the base for White Lightning, btw (which in turn is a predecessor of Laser Basic ;-). i spent alot of time decompiling it, and cleaning it up, so i just cannot stand the fact that nobody will know how i used to wasting my youth. ;-)
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

and if you think that it is very easy to simply dump the project and forget about it... NO! here's dsForth v0.1.0!
download: dsForth v0.1.0

brief changelog
Spoiler
v0.1.0
* added name hashing, so compiler is MUCH faster now (~3.3 times faster)
* removed USER variable area (nobody needs it anyway)
* removed `WIDTH` variable (who cares)
* made numeric comparison code slightly faster, and added some handy comparisons
* renamed "U*" to "UM*", "U/MOD" to "UM/MOD", added "U*", "U/", "U/MOD", "UMOD"
* added `(DI)`, `(EI)` and `(HALT)` words
* added DRAWCIRCLE
* added `DEFER` and `TO`
* added "VALUE" word to create immediate values (like constants) which can be changed with "TO"
* added 8x8 printing driver
* added `SET-EMIT6` and `SET-EMIT8` words to switch between print drivers
* 6x8 printing driver can set attributes now
* added INK/PAPER/BRIGHT/FLASH words
* added USQRT (16-bit sqrt)
* added RANDOM (and other PRNG supporting words)
* added "stick reading" words to read configurable "control stick" (opqam, kempston, etc.)
* added some other words ;-)
* added textual error messages
* made alot of things configurable (see "main.zas")
* added sample game ;-)
* added "UPINPUT?" system flag (default is true, "WORD" will upcase space-delimited words)
* added "RECURSE" word
* added very simple superinstruction optimiser (for now, only for `<num> <@|!|+|->`, and only if words are on the same line)

to play the sample game, load "main.scl" into your favorite emulator, and type
" GAME" TLOAD
be patient, loading is quite slow (it takes around 20 seconds).
in the previous (original) compiler version it was 70 seconds, tho.

to see some preliminary sprite engine demo, type
" REX" TLOAD
then type
REX
please, note that this is a WIP!

type
" LIME" TLOAD
to load random limerick generator
the first dsForth version was almost unmodified fig-Forth system. i had huge plans for it, but it didn't happened in 2005. dsForth v0.1.0 is almost what i envisioned back then. some things just had to be done. better late than never, i guess. ;-)

the most noticeable change in compiler is adding a simple hashtable for dictionary words. the system has almost 500 words, and simple linear list just cannot work good with that. note that the interpreter has to search the whole list before it can decide that the given word is a number (because our dictionary can easily have words named like `0`, for example). another full search is done on defining a new word, because the system wants to warn the user about word redifinition.

also, most low-level and common words are defined early, so they reside near the end of the dictionary (as we are searching the dictionary from the last defined word).

so the innocent-looking numerical data array is slowest to compile, and simple words with standard math and stack manipulation are second to that. the sample game from the Mastertronic distrubution can take as much as 80 seconds to compile -- several times slower than loading the source code from the tape!

in dsForth v0.1.0 i added a very simple hash table with 64 buckets. this way i wasted 128 bytes for the table itself, and ~2*480 bytes for bucket links. but that 1KB allowed me to speed up the compiler by ~3.3 times! now that sample game compiles in ~21 seconds, which is much better.

the hash function is very simple rrca/add. surprisingly, it gives quite good distribution, with average 7 words per bucket. that is, instead of checking all 480 words, the system only checks about 7-10. bigger hash tables were only marginally faster, so i decided on 6 bit hash.

i also optimised multiplication and division by unrolling them, and rewrote almost all 16-bit comparisons as assembler primitives.

another change is switching from relative jump destinations to absolute. i don't know why FIG system choose relative addressing: it never moves the words around, and absolute addressing is slightly faster.

i also removed "USER" variables. this is good thing for multitasking, and especially for supporting several terminals with independent input/output, but has a little use for Speccy. IX register was used to keep user area address, so it becomes free, and i used it as return stack pointer instead. slightly more speed, slightly less code in several places.

after adding "DEFER" word, i got an easy way to vectorize various subsystems. think of it as a kind of "virtual function": each time the defered word is called, it reroutes execution to the word it was set to. this is slightly slower than the normal word, but the effect is neglible.

after getting such powerful tool, i converted printing subsystem to DEFERed, and now you can easily switch between 32 and 42 chars per line modes with "SET-EMIT6" and "SET-EMIT8". what is even better, the system only have to change around 7 defered words. all other code is using defered primitives like "print a character", and doesn't need to know the low-level details.

i also added "VALUE" variables. you don't have to use "@" word to get a value of a "VALUE" ;-), i.e. they're look like CONSTANTs. but you can use "TO" word to assign a new value to such variable.

another addition was USQRT (fast integer square root), and PRNG (Marsaglia one, as implemented by Patrik Rak).

i added some words to read "joysticks" (keyboard, sinclair, kempston), with the ability to easily redefine keyboard keys, and some words to work with sprites. note that you can use the ordinary 32x24 driver to print sprites too, and it supports three printing modes: overwrite, OR, XOR.

original FIG system expects to have error message texts on an external storage, and without such storage the only thing you had was a non-descriptive error number. i decided to waste some memory for error texts.

internally, the source code splitted to alot of modules, and you can control which modules you want in your system with defines in the "main.zas" file. this way you can build the system with slower, but smaller multiplication and division routines, omit 32 or 42 printing drivers, avoid compiling sprite, stick, or some other words. you can also turn off dictionary hashtable, to trade memory for speed.

of course, you can select default printing driver with compiler options, and completely omit the driver you don't need. (but you have to have at least one! ;-)

i also impletented very simple text file reader for TR-DOS disk system. it's not the best code for now, but it does its work. it should be easy to replace it with +3DOS, for example, but i never had Speccy with +3DOS support, and my emulator cannot even emulate it (althrough FDC emulator is there). maybe one day i'll take a look at +3DOS and will implement the corresponding interface.

one of the latest additions is superinstruction optimiser. it is very simple, but hey, why not? it optimises things like "32 +".

internally, numbers are compiled as the word "LIT", followed by the number. i created several superinstructions like "LIT+", and the compiler is able to use them. so our "32 +" will be compiled to "LIT+ 32" instead of "LIT 32 +". this is both smaller, and faster.

currently, only "+", "-", "@", "!", "=", and "<>" are optimised in this way.

i fully understand that dsForth won't have any users (it is late by several decades), but i wanted to finish what i started 15 years ago. ;-)

i don't know yet how far this project will go. working on dsForth is fun, and i am pretty sure that there will be at least one more vestion, but don't expect this to become a "commercial-grade development system". ;-)

please, note that the code is not optimised to my usual speed and size standards. it is "good enough" for what it does, but there's always a way to optimize any routine by at least one byte. ;-)

i used my UrAsm to build the sources because this is the only Z80 cross-assembler i ever used, and it was easier to extend it instead of learning yet another one. besides, i love to write my own development tools. that's why i have my own cross-assembler, my own emulator, and so on. ;-)

don't worry, win32 UrAsm version is included in the distribution. the source code is here. this is the combined repository for UrAsm and dsForth.

p.s.: althrough i used commercial AberSoft Forth system as a starting point, i don't think that there's alot of the original code left. i mean, most of the code was taken by AberSoft from public domain fig-Forth anyway, and i rewrote almost all complex assembler primitives. i put the whole thing under GPL, and i'm not making any money with it ;-), so i think that it's ok. if you'll write some software with this system, i'll be happy to see your sources GPLed too, but i won't go after you if you will decide it other way. i put GPL mostly to make my intentions clear, and not to force it on you (in this particular case ;-).
ketmar
Manic Miner

Re: dsForth/TR-DOS

Post by ketmar »

eh. expect at least two new versions. very rough roadplan: bugfixes (as usual); improving Forth-83 compatibility (but don't expect full 83 or ANS standards support); z80 asm+disasm (disasm is already there, asm is in progress); some way to save the current image as a new executable (with the option to start it with a custom word); more code for graphics; maybe some way to dynamically load and unload parts of the system (like asm, for example); unlikely, but possible -- creating "turnkey apps" by removing unused words and word headers (will need 128K to work, but the resulting app would be able to work in 48K mode); VERY unlikely -- improved documentation. ;-)

the secret is that i had little oportunities to use Forth, and i like writing Forth code. of course, the joy may wear off much sooner than i'll finish all those planned things, so no promises here.

p.s.: i found some use for dsForth! (at least for me). it is ideal for trying various game ideas and writing prototypes. doing so in assembler distracts me with various details and microoptimising, basic is out of question due to its speed, zdcc is boring (i have enough C on other machines! ;-), but Forth seems to be the ideal fit. it is much faster than basic (it is completely possible to write a decent platformer fully in Forth, i guess -- will try it ;-), i can easily write some low-level words in asm if needed, the code is still high-level (some liars keep saying that Forth is write-only language; don't listen to them! ;-)... i mean, i found an excuse to keep improving dsForth. especially now, when my 16K game project collapsed (boring to play, no memory to make it more fun).
Nienn Heskil
Microbot

Post by Nienn Heskil »

doing so in assembler distracts me with various details and microoptimising
What about using 'macro-fu'? If you're good enough with it, C is literally unnecessary[1], as you can have nearly that level of convenience, but without having to bring in its whole stupid infrastructure and whatnot (and with full advantages of ASM, of course). I really dig the 'Lua+macro' combo these days (sjasmplus), the possibilities are downright limitless.

[1] Although it is unnecessary either way. :)
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

Nienn Heskil wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:44 am
doing so in assembler distracts me with various details and microoptimising
What about using 'macro-fu'?
UrAsm can do quite advanced macros, but for me it defeats the reason to use asm in the first place. i don't feel like i'm doing asm anymore. so i limited my macro usage to replacing copypasta like "downhl" with a macro call. using macros to emulate some high-level structures in asm is simply taking out all the fun (at least for me).

on the other side, Forth is a high-level language. and it is still "close to the metal" enough to be fun.

a little bit of history: my Forth adventures actually started with that Speccy AberForth system. i got it with some other utilities, and couldn't made heads or tails of it. it looked like interesting language, but the only thing i could get from it was "? error". then i found a russian translation of excellent Leo Brodie book "Starting Forth", and it was The WOW! Moment. that's why dsForth is based on AberForth.
Nienn Heskil
Microbot

Post by Nienn Heskil »

ketmar wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:59 am UrAsm can do quite advanced macros, but for me it defeats the reason to use asm in the first place. i don't feel like i'm doing asm anymore. so i limited my macro usage to replacing copypasta like "downhl" with a macro call. using macros to emulate some high-level structures in asm is simply taking out all the fun (at least for me).
OK, different approaches/priorities, I suppose.
For me, there are bits where performance isn't too important, and where, by the time I get to it, I sure wouldn't want to be thinking in terms of 'which bit of IX does what', 'how many ADD A I put here' and so on. For instance, game logic. This is where using some sort of HLL substitute makes perfect sense. Doesn't have to be ideal, just something that brings the amount of typing/written text (more or less the main problem with ASM) any closer to the way the thing you're after is expressed in our natural language.

Anyway, was just being curious.
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

Nienn Heskil wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:30 am OK, different approaches/priorities, I suppose.
yeah. ;-) i am having most fun from "doing it the hard (or unusual) way". getting the thing really done is not the main priority. ;-) but if i can find a way to make the process "fun in ketmar style", the chances of actually finishing something are much higher.

as for game logic... i am usually creating "micro-DSLs" anyway, sometimes with external compiler for them. i think that including full-featured programming language in UrAsm is overkill, it is much easier to create external DSL compiler from scratch (yeah, i love to reinventing the wheel! ;-). Forth looks like a perfect fit here. and i can translate subset of Forth code to (optimised) machine code later. or even left it as is, with its stack machine, why not.
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

i heavily reworked startup sequence and some parts of the system. it is now possible to build it with support for TR-DOS, +3DOS, or no DOS at all. ;-) also, "simple file reading" layer splitted to several parts, abstracting DOS functions away. it is now possible to call +3DOS API, but "middle layer" for file reading is not there yet.

tl;dr: next version should have support for loading files from +3DOS disks.

p.s.: maybe i'll create special version for +3 "RAM only" mode too. i don't really need any 48K ROM routines anyway.
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

now UrAsm can create .SCL/.DSK files without external utilities (including direct copying of PC binary data files). and dsForth is able to load +3DOS forth sources from disk. here i'm usually writing "expect a new release soon", but each time i'm doing that, new releases are inevitably delayed. so i won't write that. ;-)
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

and now UrAsm has simple, but working Forth system with Forth cross-compiler. you're now able to run native Forth code while compiling dsForth sources, or do something like this:

Code: Select all

" ./rex.x" ZX-VARBIN REX-SPRS
0 ZX-VARIABLE REX_SPR_TABLE  4 2U* ZX-ALLOT

[ZX-VARS]
: RR-BUILD-SPRITE-TABLE ( -- )
  ." building sprite table...\n"

( prepare sprite table )
  REX-SPRS REX_SPR_TABLE
  4 0 DO
    2DUP zx!  ( addr rspt ) ( [REX_SPR_TABLE] = addr )
    2+        ( addr rspt )
    ( skip sprite )
    SWAP      ( rspt addr )
    DUP zxC@ OVER 1+ zxC@  ( rspt addr cw ch )
    8 U* U* 2+ +           ( rspt addr )
    SWAP      ( addr rspt )
  LOOP
  2DROP
;
[NATIVE]
RR-BUILD-SPRITE-TABLE
here, "ZX-VARBIN" loads binary data to Speccy memory (the same as INCBIN asm directive), and creates Spectrum-side Forth variable "REX-SPRS" to hold the address of the loaded data. "REX_SPR_TABLE" is Spectrum-side too. "RR-BUILD-SPRITE-TABLE" runs as native assembler macro, tho, but works with speccy memory ("zxC@", etc.). as you can see, in "[ZX-VARS]" mode you can access Speccy Forth variables simply by names. "zxC@" is a hack, i will later tag addresses (will "mmap" Speccy memory to Forth VM memory), so the usual "@" will work.

but that's not all.

ZX: HELLO REX_SPR_TABLE @ . CR " hi there!" CR ;
this new word starts with "ZX:", therefore it is cross-compiled to Speccy memory, using already compiled dsForth!

due to Forth simplicity, it took me ~1 day to write a working cross-compiler prototype. now dsForth can really be used to prototype my Speccy games. ;-)

ah, i also added "turnkey" compiler option. turning it on will create a stripped-down Forth kernel, without word headers, and omiting most of the compiler code. this shrinks the kernel from ~20 kb to ~10 kb, and it can be made even smaller. for now you have to manually assign "NOTURNKEY" flag to words, but in the future i may implement automatic tagging, so "turnkey image" will include only words really used by the app.

p.s.: yeah, theoretically that Forth cross-compiler can be developed to "full-featured solution", with build-in emulator and various tools, so you'll be able to debug your code on the PC, and in the same time profile it with the Speccy emu, for example. dunno if i'll take it that far, though -- right now i don't need such integrated solution, i'm ok with the simple cross-compiler. nobody's writing in Forth anyway, so there is little reason to develop something i myself don't need (yet). ;-)
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

so i rewritten half of the thing (as usual), made it shorter, added conditional compilation and includes. i also cleaned it up, got rid of "zx@" and such (zx memory is "mmaped" onto VM memory now); made access to ZX forth variables transparent (as you don't need special "@" and "!" words anymore, there is no reason to use special modes for that); made zx/native mode switches affect many words (VARIABLE, VALUE, :, and so on), so even some interactive zx forth code can be compiled with minimal changes now. i am really happy that this thing have no users, tbh, because of its "organic design". i mean, it just naturally grows, throwing away old parts (and API/code compatibility with them ;-).

[mention]Nienn Heskil[/mention] remember me saying "i think that including full-featured programming language in UrAsm is overkill"? as usual, the moment i say "no, i won't do it", you can bet it will be done sooner or later. ;-)
Nienn Heskil
Microbot

Post by Nienn Heskil »

[mention]ketmar[/mention] Mmm sounds like a useful characteristic :twisted: Perhaps there's some merit in reviewing my unreasonable demand lists...

It's nice when people are passionate about their projects, that much is clear. :)
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

tbh, i never intended to develop dsForth further. so i was doomed to improve it the moment i wrote "but i don't think that i will develop it further" in the opening post. ;-) now i am really planning to use it for prototyping my games (i still have two ideas for 16K cassette; trying 'em with UrForth/dsForth should be much easier than with a pure asm).
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

more progress: it is now possible to create "minimal" and "minified" dsForth builds. the difference is that in minimal build most of the kernel is there, the only things dropped are the parser and the compiler, making the kernel ~8 kb smaller than the full one. and in minified mode the main word is traced, and only most necessary parts of the kernel are included (~12/14 kb smaller than the full one).

it is also possible to exclude word headers from both special builds, saving about 2kb, but in this case it is impossible to properly trace the execution with ZXEmuT tools. with word headers, it is possible to print all executing words with ZXEmuT Tcl script, and without the headers there is simply nothing to print. ;-)

also, +3 DSK version now has an option to create a bootsector, for slightly faster startup time.

UrForth cross-compiler now performs simple superinstriction optimisations on ZX words (think of it as a kind of peephole optimiser). i am also planning to add more optimisations in the future (like dead code elimination, inlining, and so forth).

another possibility is subroutine threaded code kernel, and the ability to dynamically switch between two kernels. this needs more investigation, though.
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

just for fun i wrote Z80 disassembler in Forth. it compiles from exactly the same source both in "native" mode (i.e. you can disassemble you assembled code while you're assembling it ;-), and in "zx" mode (i.e. for dsForth).

ok, i lied a little, there is one ifdef:

$IFNATIVE
  [0x] 00 C,
$ENDIF
it can be removed too, i just didn't bothered to do it yet.

the disasm is opcode-fields-driven (exactly as Zymosis). of coruse, i could use a huge table instead, but it is not fun.

p.s.: Speccy code size is 4485 bytes. it can be made smaller, but i prefer to keep the code readable.
+3code

Post by +3code »

I think your Forth and that other

https://github.com/programandala-net/solo-forth

are the only one that will run on +3, that is good (sadly I'm not a Forth programmer :( my level is more for Logo or so). Good job and greetings :D
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

thank you! yay, direct threaded code... something i planned to do too. i should take a look.

also, dsForth can work on 48K too. i am the best! ;-)
+3code wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:47 am sadly I'm not a Forth programmer :( my level is more for Logo or so).
Forth is even easier than Logo. no, really, i still can't learn Logo, it is too complicated.

there is excellent Leo Brodie book Starting Forth. it is literally the best textbook you can get, written with humor and great skill, and it is free! give it a try, and chances are you'll become Forth programmer, and quite good Forth programmer. i know it, because this is the book i used to learn Forth! ;-) i bought Brodie book exactly to learn what to do with that funny AberForth Speccy program i had.

please, note that PDF version is for Forth-79 standard, html version is fixed for ANS (afair), dsForth was FIG, but now it is totally non-standard. not that it matters much, tho: the differences are quite small, and i am always ready to help.

p.s.: oops. i read "direct threaded code" as "subroutine threaded code". dsForth is DTC too, of course, so it should be of the same speed (there are only so much ways to write DTC interpreter ;-).

p.p.s.: Forth is so simple, that any (no joking, literally any) Forth programmer can implement Forth system from scratch on a new platform in several days. contrary to other languages, if you know how to program in Forth, you know how to write a Forth complier. because there is no magic it all, only very simple building blocks you will use to create your own programs too.

p.p.p.s.: yay! "Solo Forth started from the code of Abersoft Forth (a tape-based fig-Forth 1.1 for ZX Spectrum 48K), which was first studied and much improved (http://programandala.net/en.program.afera.html) and finally fully disassembled". looks like we had the same start. ;-)
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

oops. i could never remember which one is direct threaded code, and which one is indirect. ;-) AberForth is using inderect variant, and so does dsForth. DTC is slightly faster, so i'm converting dsForth to DTC. it will prolly cost additional 100-300 bytes for the whole system. not a big deal, and simplified interpreter/better speed worth it.

expect a new release once i finish the transision.
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

sorry for spamming with posts (this topic starting to look more like a developer blog, lol). so i finished converting dsForth to DTC. with DTC, each Forth word is one byte bigger, but each code word is two bytes smaller. it looks like they compenstates each other, so the image size is roughly the same with DTC. but the whole thing is ~1.2/1.5 times faster now. this is roughly the same speedup that Solo Forth got from the same transition. i believe that dsForth and Solo Forth are in the same speed league now (no benchmarking was done, though!).

p.s.: [mention]PeterJ[/mention] maybe we should create a subforum for "WIP projects"? "Brand new software" is good for announces, but the things like dsForth, with more-or-less constant progress reports only creates a useless noise there. and with "WIP projects" authors will be able to announce their projects, and give a link to development thread, if necessary. this way, "Brand new" will have only real announces and the corresponding discussion.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

[mention]ketmar[/mention], the 'Showcase your work!" Subforum is the best place.
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

PeterJ wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:15 pm @ketmar,the 'Showcase your work!" Subforum is the best place.
oh, my bad. then move this topic there, if you please, so i'll stop spamming "brand new" with (mostly useless) updates. ;-)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

No problem at all [mention]ketmar[/mention]. The topic has been moved.
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

thank you alot, [mention]PeterJ[/mention]! now i can post my hourly updates, and won't irritate people looking for a fancy new game to play! ;-)

so, DTC is working, both optimiser and tracer were updated to the new code format, and the cross-compiler is fully functional again. i also implemented autocompletion in line editor, so you can type some letters, and press SS+ENT to ask the system to finish the word for you. i'm so used to autocompletion feature that i always tried to use it in dsForth, but alas, it wasn't there... until now! ;-)

i believe that we're close to the new release now. i'm also planning to write several simple demo games to show you all that Forth (and dsForth) is not a toy, and it can do much more that that awful "game" from Melbourne House tape. i'm not expecting people going mad and start writing new games in Forth, but hey, it is worth trying anyway! ;-)

if only i had such system 20 years ago...

anyway, don't adjust your sets! ;-)