JetZone

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
Freespirit
Microbot

JetZone

Post by Freespirit »

Back by popular demand. The return of Arnie. Arnie thought he should be doing more than flying through gaps with a galaxy full of aliens. He wants a laser gun and he wasn't happy about not being able to see behind him.

I've added bi-directional movement to start.

dfzx
Manic Miner

Re: JetZone

Post by dfzx »

Freespirit wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:00 pm I've added bi-directional movement to start.
Classic Spectrum game illusion: there isn't actually bi-directional movement there, the sprite is stationary. The only thing that's moving is the stars. It's so simple, and yet works so well.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

My first attempt at a laser. Looks a bit weird when he shoots and then moves. I'll have to see how jetpac/defender do it.

Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

Shooting left AND right now.

If i wanted to scroll the planet at the bottom 1 character at a time left and right. What is the quickest way? I just copy the data straight to the screen at the moment.
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

Added my first sound effect to the laser and added an alien with basic movement that heads towards Arnie. The alien is changing colour so i assume he is between two colour attributes. I've only coloured one square at the moment. I might try to add a radar (defender style) at some point so it feels more like you are travelling somewhere.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Neat.
Freespirit wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:05 pm If i wanted to scroll the planet at the bottom 1 character at a time left and right. What is the quickest way? I just copy the data straight to the screen at the moment.
It depends how you're drawing it in the first place, and how fancy you want the landscape to be. In this case I'd print the landscape as you would any text string.

For a really simple scroll effect, you could just toggle between printing "ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB" and "BABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA" (with A + B being UDGS of course) when moving.

For something fancier, you could have a landscape as a very long string of lots of different graphics "ABCDEFGHIJK....etc and every time you print 32 of them from a given position. When you move left, the print position moves back one place, and right, one forward. You store the position ready for next time.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

If the planet is rotating in place, then reading then I'd be inclined to just do the copy in place using a block of LDIs. Taking care to move the end bytes. Probably quicker than figuring out what to draw.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Or you could have an easy smooth effect using RLC. You can't have a varied landscape of course.

Code: Select all

org 32768 ;quick and rough demo
	ld hl,18432
	ld b,32
lp	ld (hl),254
	inc l
	djnz lp
main:	halt
	ld hl,18432
	ld b,32
rlp:	rlc (hl)
	inc l
	djnz rlp
	jr main
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:41 pm Neat.
Freespirit wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:05 pm If i wanted to scroll the planet at the bottom 1 character at a time left and right. What is the quickest way? I just copy the data straight to the screen at the moment.
It depends how you're drawing it in the first place, and how fancy you want the landscape to be. In this case I'd print the landscape as you would any text string.

For a really simple scroll effect, you could just toggle between printing "ABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABAB" and "BABABABABABABABABABABABABABABABA" (with A + B being UDGS of course) when moving.

For something fancier, you could have a landscape as a very long string of lots of different graphics "ABCDEFGHIJK....etc and every time you print 32 of them from a given position. When you move left, the print position moves back one place, and right, one forward. You store the position ready for next time.
Thanks. That sounds like an good option
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

AndyC wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:50 pm If the planet is rotating in place, then reading then I'd be inclined to just do the copy in place using a block of LDIs. Taking care to move the end bytes. Probably quicker than figuring out what to draw.
What are LDI’s? Not seen that yet.
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:58 pm Or you could have an easy smooth effect using RLC. You can't have a varied landscape of course.

org 32768 ;quick and rough demo
	ld hl,18432
	ld b,32
lp	ld (hl),254
	inc l
	djnz lp
main:	halt
	ld hl,18432
	ld b,32
rlp:	rlc (hl)
	inc l
	djnz rlp
	jr main
Yes, I don’t have a varied landscape just 2 character lines. I might try this option first, it should be quick to try.
Nienn Heskil
Microbot

Post by Nienn Heskil »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:58 pm Or you could have an easy smooth effect using RLC. You can't have a varied landscape of course.
Or use RL and RR to just scroll what is onscreen in a looped manner. You'd need to take care of the last pixel at the edge toward which it is moving (put it at the opposing edge). Rough example:

;set HL to left edge
	ld a,(hl)	
	rlca			;set the carry flag to the value of the last pixel at the left
	;set HL to right edge
.loop
	rl (hl)			;scrolls in the last bit, then everything else in the line towards the left edge
	dec l
	djnz .loop
If RL/RR is too slow visually, there's RLD/RRD (scrolls by 4px). It is similar, although more tricky.
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

Nienn Heskil wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:32 pm
Or use RL and RR to just scroll what is onscreen in a looped manner. You'd need to take care of the last pixel at the edge toward which it is moving (put it at the opposing edge). Rough example:

;set HL to left edge
	ld a,(hl)	
	;set HL to right edge
.loop
	rl (hl)			;scrolls in the last bit, then everything else in the line towards the left edge
	dec l
	djnz .loop
If RL/RR is too slow visually, there's RLD/RRD (scrolls by 4px). It is similar, although more tricky.
oh, of course, you need to get the last pixel, thanks. I'll try it now. Not seen RLD before. Something else to consider.
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

Freespirit wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:22 pm What are LDI’s? Not seen that yet.
one step of LDIR command. does rougly this:

dec bc
ld a,(hl)
inc hl
ld (de),a
inc de
it is not repeated (LDIR repeats until BC is zero). alot of LDI commands is the common way to copy blocks of data, due to their speed.
LDI: 16 tstates
LDIR: 21 tstates
code above: 6+7+6+7+6 == 32 tstates (or 26 without "dec bc", which isn't needed, and was included only to emulate LDI).

as you can see, sequenced LDI commands is the fastest way (of those three) to copy a data block.

there is even faster method using the stack, but it is slighly more complex. yet with it you can do things like Destiny Mission (the game itself is a crap, but the scrolling is very nice ;-).

p.s.: you prolly don't need this heavy artillery yet, there should be alot of free time in your drawing code. ;-)
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

Nienn Heskil wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:32 pm

;set HL to left edge
	ld a,(hl)	
	;set HL to right edge
.loop
	dec l
	djnz .loop
thanks, the RL worked perfectly but as you say looked a bit slow. I'll look at the other options as well
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

ketmar wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:02 am
Freespirit wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:22 pm What are LDI’s? Not seen that yet.
one step of LDIR command. does rougly this:

dec bc
ld a,(hl)
inc hl
ld (de),a
inc de
it is not repeated (LDIR repeats until BC is zero). alot of LDI commands is the common way to copy blocks of data, due to their speed.
code above: 6+7+6+7+6 == 32 tstates (or 26 without "dec bc", which isn't needed, and was included only to emulate LDI).

as you can see, sequenced LDI commands is the fastest way (of those three) to copy a data block.

there is even faster method using the stack, but it is slighly more complex. yet with it you can do things like Destiny Mission (the game itself is a crap, but the scrolling is very nice ;-).

p.s.: you prolly don't need this heavy artillery yet, there should be alot of free time in your drawing code. ;-)
Thanks for the info. So i will need an LDI for every byte i move. So 16x32? is that right?
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:41 pm Neat.

I'm just looking at this, i didn't realise there is only 21 UDG's and i need 64 for my 2 lines. So i used the character set redefine.

ld a,2
call 5633
the above code i use to print a character only seems to print above where my planet surface is. How do i get to the bottom 2 lines?
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Freespirit wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:39 pm
ketmar wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:02 am one step of LDIR command. does rougly this:

dec bc
ld a,(hl)
inc hl
ld (de),a
inc de

Thanks for the info. So i will need an LDI for every byte i move. So 16x32? is that right?
It depends on how much you unroll the loop(s).

A single line would use 31 LDI instructions plus a little extra code to handle moving the first byte to the end. You could repeat that 16 times or just put it in a loop.
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

Freespirit wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:39 pm Thanks for the info. So i will need an LDI for every byte i move. So 16x32? is that right?
basically what [mention]AndyC[/mention] wrote. but you don't need it yet, i just explained it so you can refer to that post later. ;-) right now you don't have alot of things happening in the frame, and you have plenty of free tstates, so you can simply print the graphics char by char. just don't use ROM routine for that (it is very slow), roll your own simple one instead.

basically, it is a simplified sprite printing: calculate char address from (x,y) (not pixel, but char), calculate tile gfx address from tile code, and copy 8 bytes, incrementing by 256. like this (warning! the code is not tested, i just directly typed it here ;-):

; in: A -- tile index
; D: y
; E: x
; out: AF,DE,BC,HL: dead
; calculate tile address
ld l,a
ld h,0
add hl,hl
add hl,hl
add hl,hl
ld bc,tilegfx
add hl,bc
; calculate char address
ld a,d
ld b,a
and #18
or #40
ld d,a
ld a,b
rrca
rrca
rrca
and #e0
or e
ld e,a
; copy 8 bytes
ld b,8
cbloop:
ld a,(hl)
ld (de),a
inc hl
inc d
djnz cbloop
ret
it doesn't set attribute (you can add that code if you need it). now just call that in a loop, printing your bottom tiles as you need. it is much faster than ROM code, and you can use all 24 lines. ;-)
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

ketmar wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:12 pm
Freespirit wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:39 pm Thanks for the info. So i will need an LDI for every byte i move. So 16x32? is that right?
basically what @AndyC wrote. but you don't need it yet, i just explained it so you can refer to that post later. ;-) right now you don't have alot of things happening in the frame, and you have plenty of free tstates, so you can simply print the graphics char by char. just don't use ROM routine for that (it is very slow), roll your own simple one instead.

basically, it is a simplified sprite printing: calculate char address from (x,y) (not pixel, but char), calculate tile gfx address from tile code, and copy 8 bytes, incrementing by 256. like this (warning! the code is not tested, i just directly typed it here ;-):

; in: A -- tile index
; D: y
; E: x
; out: AF,DE,BC,HL: dead
; calculate tile address
ld l,a
ld h,0
add hl,hl
add hl,hl
add hl,hl
ld bc,tilegfx
add hl,bc
; calculate char address
ld a,d
ld b,a
and #18
or #40
ld d,a
ld a,b
rrca
rrca
rrca
and #e0
or e
ld e,a
; copy 8 bytes
ld b,8
cbloop:
ld a,(hl)
ld (de),a
inc hl
inc d
djnz cbloop
ret
it doesn't set attribute (you can add that code if you need it). now just call that in a loop, printing your bottom tiles as you need. it is much faster than ROM code, and you can use all 24 lines. ;-)
Many thanks for the code and explanation, much appreciated. :)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Freespirit wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:46 pm I'm just looking at this, i didn't realise there is only 21 UDG's and i need 64 for my 2 lines. So i used the character set redefine.

ld a,2
call 5633
the above code i use to print a character only seems to print above where my planet surface is. How do i get to the bottom 2 lines?
LD A,1 is the bottom two lines, LD A,2 is the everything above.
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:59 pm
Freespirit wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:46 pm I'm just looking at this, i didn't realise there is only 21 UDG's and i need 64 for my 2 lines. So i used the character set redefine.

ld a,2
call 5633
LD A,1 is the bottom two lines, LD A,2 is the everything above.
Thanks R-Tape
Freespirit
Microbot

Post by Freespirit »

Added planet scrolling. Thanks to R-Tape, Nienn Heskil and Ketmar for the help.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Great. Please turn this into a game.

The gif doesn't show it, but have you got laser collision with the green alien yet?

I'm a bit jealous. It involves a lot of toil, but nothing beats the white heat of your first z80 coding project (yes—NOTHING!).
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Looks cool, [mention]Freespirit[/mention] ! Keep coding! :ugeek: