Frumpy

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Frumpy

Post by bob_fossil »

I saw video from the C64 version of Blockheads back on the rllmuk forum in February / March and thought the wall jumping mechanic was a cool idea. I also remembered an old game called Bumpy, a platform puzzler that I also used to like and wondered what would happen if the two got mixed up a bit - Bumpy + Friction = Frumpy. The game is based around a hacked up version of the engine I used for Thoroughly Modern Willy (TMW) with added wall jumping. It incorporates some familiar elements from Miner Willy - disintegrating platforms, deadly blocks, conveyor belts, exit blocks, and those room changing switches I added in TMW. It also adds doors, water, fire and quicksand.

Default controls are Q, left, W, right and SPACE to jump. Joysticks and redefinable controls are supported. Pressing BREAK pops up a menu which lets you restart the level or quit the game. If you press jump and a direction and hit a wall during the jump, pressing jump and the opposite direction will jump you up and away from the wall. You can also wall jump in the opposite direction if you're falling against a wall. Pink spikes and fires are deadly. You can die if you fall too far. White vertical and horizontal chain link doors can only be opened with a key. Yellow switches can change or toggle the layout of the room - not always to your advantage!

Get to the green pipe in the fastest time. Each room has a 'World Record' time. There's currently 5 rooms.

Download here.
9 x

Freespirit
Dizzy

Re: Frumpy

Post by Freespirit »

Looks like a good game, i like the idea. :)
0 x

stupidget
Manic Miner

Post by stupidget »

I can't get off the first screen :x :x :x
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

stupidget wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:25 pm
I can't get off the first screen :x :x :x
Brutal! Me neither yet.
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore »

I give up. Can’t jump out of the little space between two magenta spikes on the second screen.
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

I did wonder whether I'd made the screens too difficult. Back to the drawing board I guess based on the feedback so far. :)
Ast A. Moore wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:23 pm
I give up. Can’t jump out of the little space between two magenta spikes on the second screen.
1 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

bob_fossil wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:47 pm
I did wonder whether I'd made the screens too difficult. Back to the drawing board I guess based on the feedback so far. :)
Hard to say. I spent about 20 minutes (god knows how many tries!) on level 1, the best I've managed so far is the crumbly platform. But the controls are unusual, so once you're used to them, I suspect you can get match fit very quickly.

It'd be nice to be eased in a tiny bit more perhaps.

Might this end up a 16K game? (thinking of catmeows's game jam)
0 x

bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

R-Tape wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:03 pm

Hard to say. I spent about 20 minutes (god knows how many tries!) on level 1, the best I've managed so far is the crumbly platform. But the controls are unusual, so once you're used to them, I suspect you can get match fit very quickly.

It'd be nice to be eased in a tiny bit more perhaps.

Might this end up a 16K game? (thinking of catmeows's game jam)
You just need to set up your jumps correctly to get across the crumbly platforms. I think as I've played the bits of the levels over and over again during testing and creation that I'm not the best judge of difficulty any more.

I did wonder about trying to do a 16k version. It would require a bit of a rework and re-jigging as I'm liberally using memory here and there and IM2.
0 x

smurphboy
Berk

Post by smurphboy »

bob_fossil wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:47 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:23 pm
If you do make it easier, please leave the original difficult levels in. I love a proper challenge. I think you might want to ease the player in a little more gently though.

Great game, I'm enjoying learning the mechanics
0 x

Freespirit
Dizzy

Post by Freespirit »

I was wondering if you thought about making it possible to move left and right when jumping in the air? You could then not just jump to the opposite wall but back to the wall you just jumped from. I could also then move when falling into that gap on the right on level 1 that I couldn’t do after 10 attempts. Just an idea. I do actually want to progress in your game so you’ve done something right :)
0 x