Frumpy

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
ianace
Manic Miner

Re: Frumpy

Post by ianace »

Just downloaded the new version of this game, i am using it on the ZX Vega. It works well and it is a good game.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

ianace wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:36 pm Just downloaded the new version of this game, i am using it on the ZX Vega. It works well and it is a good game.
Thanks for the feedback and kind words!

For those who've finished the current six room version, I've created 4 new rooms. I'd like to add another 2 before releasing a new version (doubling the room count from the previously released version). So that hopefully shouldn't be too long. :)
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

v004:
  • Added 6 new screens, taking the total to 12 screens (not included the first tutorial screen).
  • Added boxes which can be pushed around and jumped on to clear obstacles.
  • Added umbrellas which can be collected and are helpful when falling from a great height.
  • You no longer get to set a record time in the tutorial screen.
Download here.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Took me about an hour and a half to play through, with the last screen (aptly named Kill Screen) taking about 45 minutes or so by itself. Pixel perfect timing and jumps aren't that prevalent in the other stages, but here it was just one after the other. Though I got pretty consistent up to the last part when you unlock the door, but it took forever.

You might want to debounce the jump key when you complete the game, I think I saw a congratulatory screen flash by, but the game went on to the stage 1 screen immediately. :)

Really like all the new stages! Such a fun game!
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Ersh wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:12 pm Took me about an hour and a half to play through, with the last screen (aptly named Kill Screen) taking about 45 minutes or so by itself. Pixel perfect timing and jumps aren't that prevalent in the other stages, but here it was just one after the other. Though I got pretty consistent up to the last part when you unlock the door, but it took forever.

You might want to debounce the jump key when you complete the game, I think I saw a congratulatory screen flash by, but the game went on to the stage 1 screen immediately. :)

Really like all the new stages! Such a fun game!
'Kill Screen' was both a reference to those screens in old arcade games like Donkey Kong or Pacman where you end up a screen that kills you immediately due to the game logic overflowing and a warning of things to come for the last screen (I re-used that horrible jump that used to be in 'The Ol' Swictheroo'). :)

Thought I'd fixed the issue with the end screen as the same thing happened to me during testing. I'll give it another look.

Glad you like the new levels. Wasn't sure whether the introduction of new elements would work, so thanks for the feedback.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Hopefully fixed the issue with the end message. Updated the .zip file in the original download for v004.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

bob_fossil wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:34 pm 'Kill Screen' was both a reference to those screens in old arcade games like Donkey Kong or Pacman where you end up a screen that kills you immediately due to the game logic overflowing and a warning of things to come for the last screen (I re-used that horrible jump that used to be in 'The Ol' Swictheroo'). :)

Glad you like the new levels. Wasn't sure whether the introduction of new elements would work, so thanks for the feedback.
Yup, I got the arcade reference!

The boxes and umbrellas are a really nice new addition. (would love to see them in even more levels!)

Would you consider implementing a password system? And maybe an option to replay a stage after completion? It's a really fun game for speed running and that would make single segment attempts a bit more convenient. :)
bob_fossil wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:24 pm Hopefully fixed the issue with the end message. Updated the .zip file in the original download for v004.
Works fine now, thanks!
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

*single-segment should be non-single-segment. doh.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Ersh wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:44 pm
The boxes and umbrellas are a really nice new addition. (would love to see them in even more levels!)

Would you consider implementing a password system? And maybe an option to replay a stage after completion? It's a really fun game for speed running and that would make single segment attempts a bit more convenient. :)
I almost added passwords in for this version as the number of screens was starting to get a bit too much (it would make testing and debugging levels easier for me too). Adding an option to replay a level after completing is also doable.

More levels is the bit that takes the time. I did wonder about adding in an editor option so you could create your own screens? Thanks for testing the fix and all your feedback.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Sounds great!

The option for user generated content is always a plus, would personally love a level editor. :)
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

005:
  • On completing a room, you can now press left to retry it (to improve your time) or jump to move onto the next.
  • Rooms now have codes. When you start a game, you can enter a room code to start from a specific room or just press ENTER to start from the first screen.
Download here.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Great! Though after a level is completed you might want to check that no keys (or joystick input) are being pressed before polling for retry/continue. If the player keeps holding left to complete the level (ex. on Don't You Open That Trap Door!) there's a risk that Retry is accidentally selected.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Released as part of Woot 2021, a small 6 screen festive themed update in the shape of Frumpy - Christmas Jumper.

Great news if you liked the original Frumpy. A terrible early Christmas present if you didn't.

Download here.
Spud
Manic Miner

Post by Spud »

That was great fun (Frumpy Xmas) - thank you for making it! I nearly smashed my laptop up on the final level but I got there in the end :)
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Spud wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:24 am That was great fun (Frumpy Xmas) - thank you for making it! I nearly smashed my laptop up on the final level but I got there in the end :)
Thanks! I did wonder whether I'd over egged the Christmas pudding but the last screen in the original Frumpy was a bit of a git as well. :)