Trubo load and compressed blocks games.

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
chixus
Drutt

Trubo load and compressed blocks games.

Post by chixus »

Hello, I made a few turbo load and compressed block games. And etc Monopoly that has 3 loading screens I put only main compressed and turbo loaded and main code in one file compressed, game loaded in 3 minutes, and original is more than six.
chixus
Drutt

Re: Trubo load and compressed blocks games.

Post by chixus »

Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

chixus wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:48 pm Hello, I made a few turbo load and compressed block games. And etc Monopoly that has 3 loading screens I put only main compressed and turbo loaded and main code in one file compressed, game loaded in 3 minutes, and original is more than six.
Thanks for sharing this.
I’m a big fan of custom loaders and these of yours are really really good.
I experimented earlier with turbo loaders and the k7zx tool and I remember that it was possible to get insane speeds, say Manic Miner under 10 seconds etc, but it was unusable on real hardware.
Your approach is much more realistic, I bet your examples are compatible with real machines as well.
The only custom loader I've been involved in is this:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 1930597833

Long time ago I found a listing with this routine in an old ex-yu magazine, but for some reason i cant get it to work, so I prepare a small fix and built it into the "Mind Trap" game.
The basic idea is to load the screen simultaneously with the game code, in a very unusual way.
I only saw something similar in the 128k demo "Ahh... the tape loading era", both approaches are equally interesting and impressive.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Good job! The reuse of the standard ROM code is a tried and true method used by quite a few turbo loaders back in the day. Even though I prefer writing my own turbo loaders from scratch, that means they take up a few precious bytes more and can’t sit in contended memory.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
chixus
Drutt

Post by chixus »

I make new loaders and modifyed some utilities, here they are in one pack https://filebin.net/8ghqf6balm45mboj also I must say that turbo loaders are not mine, I use present turbo loaders but I implement them into my own loader and make compressed and turbo load at one place, custom pokes are mine.
Pegaz
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pegaz »

[mention]chixus[/mention]

It seems file is no longer available, can you re-upload ?
chixus
Drutt

Post by chixus »

XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

I'm also interested in the utilities. I seem to be unable to find them on the above link, only folders with games in them?
Sol_HSA
Microbot

Post by Sol_HSA »

My "mackarel" tool which I made for my own 48k dev can also be used to repackage other games. I think I experimented with manic miner and it worked fine.

Basically the magic that mackarel does is compressing the loading screen as well as the game binary and generating a .tap file with those. No turbo loader stuff, but the compression alone speeds things up quite a bit. There's a few different compressors, the tool tries them all and picks the one that compresses the most.

Naturally someone did complain that since the loading screen doesn't slowly appear on the screen but rather just gets decompressed there that it's a misfeature but... eh, you can't win them all. =)