z88dk documentation series, installment 8: interrupts

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
dfzx
Manic Miner

z88dk documentation series, installment 8: interrupts

Post by dfzx »

I've added installment 8 to my 'Getting Started with C on the ZX Spectrum using Z88DK' development guide. This one covers mode 2 interrupt handling from 'C':

https://github.com/z88dk/z88dk/blob/mas ... errupts.md

First in the series is here:

https://github.com/z88dk/z88dk/blob/mas ... Started.md
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Re: z88dk documentation series, installment 8: interrupts

Post by dfzx »

Over the last 3 months I've added 3 more instalments to my 'Getting Started with C on the ZX Spectrum using Z88DK' development guide. They start from scratch with developing with the SP1 sprite library. Progress is painfully slow because I'm learning myself as I go along. :)

Front page for the articles is here:

https://github.com/z88dk/z88dk/blob/mas ... edGuide.md
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Another 'C' and SP1 article is up:

https://github.com/z88dk/z88dk/blob/mas ... Sprites.md

This covers bigger sprites and adding colour to them.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

This set of tutorials are so well written. Thanks for sharing and spending what must be a significant amount of time on them.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Thanks Peter. You're right, they're a lot of work, and I'm aware my readership can probably be counted on my fingers. :)

Thing is, I really believe that 'C' is an immensely practical and desperately underused language on the Spectrum. It's close to assembly language in performance, and development with it is so much faster. The SP1 library is remarkably good. I'm convinced that so much which could be done with Z88DK if only the more talented people in our community would give it a try.

I had to conclude some time ago that I have neither the time nor, quite probably, the talent, to write a game of my own. Adding some documentation to Z88DK is the best I can offer. :)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm very much looking forward to reading about collisions [mention]dfzx[/mention] in a future installment.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

PeterJ wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:18 pm I'm very much looking forward to reading about collisions @dfzx in a future installment.
:lol: you might have to wait a while for that one. I haven't the faintest idea how to do it!

Mind you, that's been my starting point with every topic I've covered so far. Who'd have thought, 35 years after I first got one, I'd still be learning so much from the Spectrum?
andydansby
Microbot

Post by andydansby »

Actually just discovered your articles. Good read and reference.