Sophia 1-bit fanart.

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
Ersh
Manic Miner

Sophia 1-bit fanart.

Post by Ersh »

Felt like pushing some 1-bit pixels again. Got my inspiration from the excellent game 'Sophia' by [mention]Alessandro[/mention].

There are some mistakes, had fun working on it though. :)

Download .SCR here.

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: Sophia 1-bit fanart.

Post by Einar Saukas »

Nice!

You should definitely upload it to ZX-Art!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

That is fantastic. You should change your avatar to something noire!

Did you experiment with paper colour on this?
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Thanks guys! :)
Einar Saukas wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:33 pmYou should definitely upload it to ZX-Art!
Haven't got an account there, I know someone uploaded my B.C. Bill picture last year so perhaps Sophia will find her way there as well. :)
R-Tape wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:42 pm Did you experiment with paper colour on this?
I tried changing white to grey (non-bright) when I was done, but the picture seemed to 'pop' more with straight black and white so I went with that. Didn't experiment with any different colours though. :)
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Nice, cute picture! It would be great to see more stuff from you!
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Very nice art, and a very good sense of dynamics.
Smooth and nice character lines, with a very well defined human shape, but still keeping a cartoonish feel to it.
Very good use and distribution of light and shadow, good details texture on the floor, without overdoing it with textures everywhere.
I also love the bats, very well done.

I also like the whole theme a lot for the black and white 1 bit format.

But there are a few things that pop, when we dive into a more detailed look into it:

- There seems to be an effort to give a sense of perspective, using the wall "lines", but the left black wall is misaligned with the right black wall, and breaks the perspective sense for me.

- The skirt over the character right leg, seems to be fluttering in the wrong direction, since it's ahead of the character moving direction.
It certainly would not be easy to give the witch like figure, by placing the skirt to the back, but like it is, it feals a bit weird, physics wise.

- That foot that lags behind, has a weird form/shape, even considering the pointy witch type shoes.
It probably feels awkward to me, because of the heel being too large or disproportional to the rest of the foot.
However, cartoon style, can allow for this kind of scale/ratio.

- The character right leg skin, seems to be too dark, when compared with the left one.
I would suggest to lighten the shade a bit.

- The wand also feels awkward for being too pointy.

- The character right hand, also needs a few pixels moved, to be more natural.

- There is also something off, on the enemy leg in the back.

- There is an awkward scratch in the dark wall, next to the bats, that looks like another bat, probably by being so close to one, that our mind is tricked to thing, it's another bat.

Just my 7 cents about it.

All in all, a very good dynamic drawing.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Ralf wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:57 pm Nice, cute picture! It would be great to see more stuff from you!
Thanks! I used to draw a lot, both pixels and traditional/digital. Though these days I only draw something maybe once a year. :(
RMartins wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:37 pm Very nice art, and a very good sense of dynamics.
Smooth and nice character lines, with a very well defined human shape, but still keeping a cartoonish feel to it.
Very good use and distribution of light and shadow, good details texture on the floor, without overdoing it with textures everywhere.
I also love the bats, very well done.

I also like the whole theme a lot for the black and white 1 bit format.

But there are a few things that pop, when we dive into a more detailed look into it:

- There seems to be an effort to give a sense of perspective, using the wall "lines", but the left black wall is misaligned with the right black wall, and breaks the perspective sense for me.

- The skirt over the character right leg, seems to be fluttering in the wrong direction, since it's ahead of the character moving direction.
It certainly would not be easy to give the witch like figure, by placing the skirt to the back, but like it is, it feals a bit weird, physics wise.

- That foot that lags behind, has a weird form/shape, even considering the pointy witch type shoes.
It probably feels awkward to me, because of the heel being too large or disproportional to the rest of the foot.
However, cartoon style, can allow for this kind of scale/ratio.

- The character right leg skin, seems to be too dark, when compared with the left one.
I would suggest to lighten the shade a bit.

- The wand also feels awkward for being too pointy.

- The character right hand, also needs a few pixels moved, to be more natural.

- There is also something off, on the enemy leg in the back.

- There is an awkward scratch in the dark wall, next to the bats, that looks like another bat, probably by being so close to one, that our mind is tricked to thing, it's another bat.

Just my 7 cents about it.

All in all, a very good dynamic drawing.
Thanks for taking the time and giving some proper critique! :) Yes, I noticed a few other mistakes as well (like the foreshortening of the 'wand arm'). The perspective is pretty naive but I think it works. Like you said, there's some leeway with certain things when taking into account the 'cartoon' style. It's not perfect by any stretch, but I do like myself a little bit of 'wabi-sabi' ;) The 'mistakes' makes the picture more personal, like, this is what I was capable of doing at this particular moment in time. :) I'll of course strive to improve my technique in the future.

The wand being pointy, is because it's supposed to be overexposed by the lightning ball. So that mistake was at least on purpose. :lol:
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

RMartins wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:37 pm But there are a few things that pop, when we dive into a more detailed look into it:
I think you’re being overly critical. I don’t have a problem with any of the things you mention. My only slight gripe is with the shuriken, which looks like a meat-grinder cross knife. :D
All we need is a grind plate to complete the ensemble:
Last edited by Ast A. Moore on Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Ersh wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:03 pm Thanks for taking the time and giving some proper critique! :)
You are welcome.

Keep on drawing.
I'm sure we will love to see them.
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:53 pm
RMartins wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:37 pm But there are a few things that pop, when we dive into a more detailed look into it:
I think you’re being overly critical. I don’t have a problem with any of the things you mention. ...
You mention "critic" as if it's something bad.
A constructive critic is the best thing someone can give me.

I strive to give others valuable insight, since sometimes we are so used to look at the same picture over and over, that some stuff growed on us, we got used to seeing it like it is, that we fail to have a clear view on the subject matter.
Having someone that is not biased, give you valuable input about something that we might have missed, is usually a good thing.

Some may take this negatively, and I sometimes refrain from doing it just because of that.
But given the quality of the piece, I was convinced the author would appreciate it. (I could be wrong)

I can tell you from experience, that everybody telling you that it's great, when you know there is always something that we would do differently the next day, sometimes feels more like they did not realy appreciate what was shown, or did not understand it, and it doesn't feel like a compliment anymore.

I understand the problem of "dancing" with a few pixels until we find the perfect set, that shows the actual intention.
I know that pain myself, when something seems it is never finished, but we have to let go.

I'll make a mental note, to never critic your work [mention]Ast A. Moore[/mention], since I have no desire to offend.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

RMartins wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:11 pmI'll make a mental note, to never critic your work Ast A. Moore, since I have no desire to offend.
I think you misunderstood the tone of my post. It wasn’t a jab at you; just a overture to the lighthearted humor that followed.

Perhaps it’s a language thing. In English, to criticize and to critique (or to offer critique) are not quite the same thing, and the adjective critical can mean many things, as well. So, by all means, do critique my work, if you so chose.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:53 pm I think you’re being overly critical. I don’t have a problem with any of the things you mention. My only slight gripe is with the shuriken, which looks like a meat-grinder cross knife. :D
If you've played the game, you'll know the horror of the trap rooms, 'meat-grinder cross knife' isn't far off, poor Sophia. ;)

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism. Like RMartin said, a fresh perspective from someone who hasn't spent hours staring at the same picture is very useful. Back in the day, I often took a break for a few days from a drawing, just to be able to look at things with 'new eyes'. I also still use a mirror (even digitally) to spot asymmetry and errors. It's all about improving one's techniques, getting better as we go. :)
RMartins
Manic Miner

Post by RMartins »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:23 pm I think you misunderstood the tone of my post. It wasn’t a jab at you; just a overture to the lighthearted humor that followed.

Perhaps it’s a language thing. In English, to criticize and to critique (or to offer critique) are not quite the same thing, and the adjective critical can mean many things, as well. So, by all means, do critique my work, if you so chose.
I was not offended, just though it was better to clarify my intention.

I'm not a native english speaker, so I might not have explained myself well enough. I apologize if that was the case.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

RMartins wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:49 pm I might not have explained myself well enough. I apologize if that was the case.
No worries, man! We’re cool.

Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Ersh wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:49 pm If you've played the game, you'll know the horror of the trap rooms, 'meat-grinder cross knife' isn't far off, poor Sophia. ;)
I was thinking more along the lines of, “Sophia—she’s good at killing baddies and making you favorite beef patties!” :lol:

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:56 pm
RMartins wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:49 pm I might not have explained myself well enough. I apologize if that was the case.
No worries, man! We’re cool.
Peter! Things are kicking off!
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:07 pm Peter! Things are kicking off!
Whoa, I didn’t quite expect the Spanish Inquisition. But then . . .

Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Well, I am happy to see the game also sparked this kind of interest in it :D

I quite like the picture, nothwithstanding the fact that I imagined Sophia as a Chibi character, rather than the "regular" anime one depicted there.
Ersh
Manic Miner

Post by Ersh »

Alessandro wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:54 am Well, I am happy to see the game also sparked this kind of interest in it :D

I quite like the picture, nothwithstanding the fact that I imagined Sophia as a Chibi character, rather than the "regular" anime one depicted there.
Let's just pretend that Yojar cast a temporary de-chibi-fying spell on little Sophia. ;)

Any plans for a sequel? :)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Not a sequel in a strict sense, but I have been thinking about a crossover with the Seto Taisho storyline...