Knockabout

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
DanielBzD
Drutt

Re: Knockabout

Post by DanielBzD »

Also, I've been thinking about the visibility issue. When moving in a big level, the character can only see two blocks ahead. I think the visibility would improve dramatically if the camera were to follow her closer. Seeing three blocks ahead would be a major improvement (though I think I would go with four).
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

DanielBzD wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:07 am Hey there! I found two other issues in build 108. The first one is that the menu seems to go a bit crazy, the selector moves too fast. Still usable, tho.

And second, there's this level (sorry, I forgot to check the number):
Little Lincoln there can't push that blue thing downwards. It doesn't prevent me from finishing the level, but I thought it should be mentioned.
I can't replicate the issue with the break menu - moving left or right through it seem fine here.

That looks like level 50. Is it just a problem with that character or can none of the players push the blue pin tile around?
DanielBzD wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:07 pm Also, I've been thinking about the visibility issue. When moving in a big level, the character can only see two blocks ahead. I think the visibility would improve dramatically if the camera were to follow her closer. Seeing three blocks ahead would be a major improvement (though I think I would go with four).
Camera is an ambitious term. :) I have a defined scroll margin value which I can increase which may or may not improve things.
DanielBzD
Drutt

Post by DanielBzD »

bob_fossil wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:16 pmI can't replicate the issue with the break menu - moving left or right through it seem fine here.
So I made some tests and found out two things. One, Kempston behaves differently from other control methods. If you hold the key pressed, the selector keeps moving, while in the other control methods, it moves only once per key press. And Kempston is what I was using.

And when I reloaded the game, the selector suddenly wasn't moving so fast. So it was probably a one-time problem with my emulator.
bob_fossil wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:16 pmThat looks like level 50. Is it just a problem with that character or can none of the players push the blue pin tile around?
I don't know :o
What's that level's password? Let me try again.
bob_fossil wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:16 pmCamera is an ambitious term. :) I have a defined scroll margin value which I can increase which may or may not improve things.
No, camera is a simple term. Defined scroll margin value? Now that's fancy. :lol:
DanielBzD
Drutt

Post by DanielBzD »

Got yet another bug. And I've managed to reproduce this one. If you finish level 61, it shows the password to level 62 and then crashes. If you reload and type in that password, it works fine.
bob_fossil
Manic Miner

Post by bob_fossil »

Due to unforseen circumstances, there's a new version (1.09) of Knockabout available here.

Changes:
  • Added levels 91 - 100 - all the levels from Quirk and Amazing Tater are now included.
  • Added 10 minute(tm) loading screen.
  • Fixed data typos in levels 61 / 62.
Although it looks pretty much the same as before, there's a load of backend changes - I've rewritten a number of functions in assembly and switched to the sdcc compiler which generates smaller C code. I've also fixed a couple of bugs and probably added some new ones into the mix.

The .zip file contains two files: Knockabout.tap and Knockabout_D.tap. Knockabout.tap was built with sdcc compiler optimisations. I've had issues with the generated optimised code in the past, so I've built a non optimised version - Knockabout_D.tap. Please try Knockabout.tap and if you encounter any funnies or crashes, try the other version to see if the problem exists there too.

Cheers.