"Go-Go BunnyGun", first screen grabs.

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
Joefish
Manic Miner

"Go-Go BunnyGun", first screen grabs.

Post by Joefish » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:05 pm

Thought it was time to stick up a screen-grab from the 48K shmup I've started on, 'Go-Go BunnyGun'.
The title was going to be just BunnyGun but if it comes down to another software vote I don't want to be in the same place in the alphabet as my only other decent game so far!

There's a lot more to do as so far you can only move around and fire. Once I've got the alt-fire (hold button) working and maybe a bit of scenery I'll try to put up some working code so you can see it animating.

The idea is there'll be three alternate forms you can take on (your sprite changes colour between the three shown) and power-up in two stages (immediate pick-ups like Salamander / R-Type). One has spread fire, the next an orbiting guardian, and the third deployable firing pods like Thunder Cross II. And holding fire will allow for rear or directed fire, depending on form.

You can see the sprite routine is character-based, and allows for partial re-colouring of individual objects.
4 x

Wall_Axe
Microbot

Re: "Go-Go BunnyGun", first screen grabs.

Post by Wall_Axe » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:48 am

it looks good

do you know how you are going to handle scenery yet?
0 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Post by Morkin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:26 am

At first glance I thought it was multicolour. :o

I like the look of the colour on the sprites.
0 x

MatGubbins
Manic Miner

Post by MatGubbins » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:27 am

Looks good!
0 x
Bomb Munchies Ver1930 17th Nov 2017 (look for the blue download box ) If you get a time-out message and live in the UK then try after 9pm-3am.
Send me a PM and I can email it to you too. Kent, UK

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:01 pm

That looks terrific. I'll be interested to see what speed you opt for, there's that tricky balance of 2 halts being too fast and 4 being a bit jerky (3 manages a bit of both!).
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:02 pm

It's not going to maintain 2 frames. Probably end up as 3 or 4. I haven't really tested it to be sure yet.
I intend to have a slow pixel-scrolling dark stippled background on alternate pixel rows in a band over the middle 1/3 of the screen, with random moving stars above and below.
Scenery will be one-off fast-moving chunks of mountain for dodging. Nothing big or permanent.

I don't really know how long all the different parts of it are going to take. Though I don't want to hold back on the number of sprites just to save the frame rate if it makes for a dull game. It draws to a buffer then copies that to the screen, so just the copy takes a frame and a half. It could work faster maybe with a character-mapped buffer but that's more hassle to design all the sprites in UDG form. Maybe next time.
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:18 pm

By the way, which looks better, the rocket tail or the bunny-tail?
I might just leave both in, as an option...

I also can't decide on the colour for the shots. I'd like to have white and yellow, or yellow and red, but I don't want them so bright you fail to see incoming enemy fire. So I've copied the colours from R-Type at the moment. Like that, I think my enemy fire will be 4x4 bright yellow dots so they can move in half-character steps.
0 x

MatGubbins
Manic Miner

Post by MatGubbins » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:56 pm

bunny tails - the one with the yellow top. It goes with the ears.
0 x
Bomb Munchies Ver1930 17th Nov 2017 (look for the blue download box ) If you get a time-out message and live in the UK then try after 9pm-3am.
Send me a PM and I can email it to you too. Kent, UK

Ersh
Microbot

Post by Ersh » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:28 pm

The bunny tails are cute but the rocket tails look really good as well. I vote to leave them both in as an option. :)
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:47 am

I think the rocket tails look miles better.
Joefish wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:02 pm
Though I don't want to hold back on the number of sprites just to save the frame rate if it makes for a dull game.
I actually like slow down! When a shmup goes treacly for a few frames it feels like a cinematic effect when there's a lot to see.
0 x