"Go-Go BunnyGun", first screen grabs.

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
Pegaz
Manic Miner

Re: "Go-Go BunnyGun", first screen grabs.

Post by Pegaz » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:01 am

DouglasReynholm wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:42 pm
Ast A. Moore wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:21 pm
Looking great. I’ve always loved cyan on the Spectrum.
Always loved the Speccy colour palette, so vibrant, even given it's limitations. The C64 had more colours yes, as did the 464. But in those modes the pixels were widened and blocky to boot. The 464 had a nice palette, could put out some nice pics given the care it rarely got, but the palette of the 64 was awful, really earthy/muddy. I'll go for the attribute clash and the better resolution thanks.
Wow, just 3 posts and we've already got to blocky / earthy / muddy commode ... ;)
I like the Spectrum palette too, but I never liked color clash and I often wanted to have orange color and more gray shades, but I learned to live with it.
All 8bit computers have their limitations, even the best among them as MSX 2 and BBC Master.
Blockiness has never been a issue for me back in the day on old crt TVs, even in multicolour mode, and especially not in hires 320x200 resolution.
If the colors are washed out, increase the saturation, how difficult it can be...
After all I'm not playing a palette, but good games and c64 and Spectrum are the best on that matter.
0 x

dfzx
Microbot

Post by dfzx » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:50 am

Joefish wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:07 am
'Ionian' comes from...
Oh, right! When I saw the graphic I read it as "eye-onion"!
0 x

Ast A. Moore
Dynamite Dan

Post by Ast A. Moore » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:02 pm

Joefish wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:07 am
I think I needed my own label if I've made more than one game! 'Ionian' comes from sitting at a desk here while writing the Buzzsaw+ title screen multicolour code.
I just call it natural major. There’s no need to go all fancy with Ionian or Aeolian. The rest of them make sense, of course, but these two—come on! :lol:
0 x
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:18 pm

Skegpool is looking splendid in that pic Joe :D

Eek. The chemist in me read it as 'ionion', which I thought was a great name!
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:40 pm

Well, the confusion is understandable; the blue domes are more typical of Dodecanese architecture than Ionian. :lol:
Anyway, is 'Ga-Ga BunnyGun' so bad? :D
I've made a few tweaks, but making the 'o's rounder means either a bigger mask or the odd white pixel on the blue logo... :geek:
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:36 pm

Maybe if I make the dash a dot, each 'o' can be a pixel wider, then I can try to make them look a bit rounder...
I could extend the whole text a few pixels to the left, but I originally kept it in line with the top of the text below... Not sure if it needs to be...
0 x

Juan F. Ramirez
Dynamite Dan

Post by Juan F. Ramirez » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:42 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:18 pm
Skegpool is looking splendid in that pic Joe :D
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the pic was Star Wars episode One.

Yeah, I'm that geek.
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:33 am

That's not quite Naboo, but I have some pictures from yonks ago taken in the Italian lakes; they were used in Episode III... :geek:
0 x

stupidget
Manic Miner

Post by stupidget » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Joefish wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:33 am
That's not quite Naboo, but I have some pictures from yonks ago taken in the Italian lakes; they were used in Episode III... :geek:
I've not heard the word 'Yonk' used for years!!! Out of interest, how long do you think a yonk is, more than a Donkey, but less than ages? :lol: :lol:
0 x

Joefish
Manic Miner

Post by Joefish » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:00 pm

Well, I asume 1 'yonk' = 1 'donkey's year'. But I've no idea how long 'donkey's years' are either.

It's conventionally a long time, though a donkey's life expectancy is less than a human's, so it's not as if it would be an extension in the way that 'dog years' are assumed to be shorter than a 'human year'. And the idea that it's actually 'donkey's ears' as rhyming slang for 'years' is invalidated by it being a phrase that long pre-dates rhyming slang. There may be some pun in a donkey's years being as long as a donkey's ears, but that's long lost to history. So f*ck knows, basically.
1 x