Hakkenkast

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Hakkenkast

Post by Andre Leao »

PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Hakkenkast

Post by PeterJ »

Looks great @Andre Leao!
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Great game! Check it people.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Already on our GOTY list...
Minilop
Drutt

Post by Minilop »

Game is available here, get the first dungeon for free, with three more (each is a full 48K/128K game with access codes between each) for just £3
https://minilop.itch.io/hakkenkast
Morpheus
Microbot

Post by Morpheus »

Minilop wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:12 am
Game is available here, get the first dungeon for free, with three more (each is a full 48K/128K game with access codes between each) for just £3
https://minilop.itch.io/hakkenkast
Already bought it :D
R Tape loading error, 0:1
merman
Microbot

Post by merman »

Earned a CRASH! Smash in the latest issue (#11)
kokkiklhs
Dizzy

Post by kokkiklhs »

Wow!!! Quite impressive, thumbs up!
8-)
I only don't like the music, even though it sounds well from a technical point of view, I'd say that I find the melody a little annoying and not matching to this particular game's atmosphere... It could add a nice touch to e.g. a modern demo, this game IMHO needed a darker, down tempo haunting musical score! I haven't seen the other parts, though...
Definitely a brilliant game, overall!!!
Dodgypenguin
Drutt

Post by Dodgypenguin »

Well done! The cash has been splashed :P
Minilop
Drutt

Post by Minilop »

kokkiklhs wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:18 am Wow!!! Quite impressive, thumbs up!
8-)
I only don't like the music, even though it sounds well from a technical point of view, I'd say that I find the melody a little annoying and not matching to this particular game's atmosphere... It could add a nice touch to e.g. a modern demo, this game IMHO needed a darker, down tempo haunting musical score! I haven't seen the other parts, though...
Definitely a brilliant game, overall!!!

Thanks for the feedback, the music seems to be either a love/hate thing, from the feedback received half of players love it half hate it! - anyway, I have just released an update that allows you to select from2 different tracks when playing - more ambient or more banging! Hopefully that will keep everyone happy! Music isn't my forte - would be great to find a collaborator for future games!! The update can be downloaded here: https://minilop.itch.io/hakkenkast
kokkiklhs
Dizzy

Post by kokkiklhs »

Minilop wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:31 pm Thanks for the feedback, the music seems to be either a love/hate thing, from the feedback received half of players love it half hate it! - anyway, I have just released an update that allows you to select from2 different tracks when playing - more ambient or more banging! Hopefully that will keep everyone happy! Music isn't my forte - would be great to find a collaborator for future games!! The update can be downloaded here: https://minilop.itch.io/hakkenkast
Cheers, thanks for considering my opinion and for the update!!!
And BTW congrats, this game is going to be among the all-time classic Speccy titles in a few years, mark my words! Excellent job!!!
Morpheus
Microbot

Post by Morpheus »

@Minilop Thanks for taking the feedback on board and adding an ambient track to the game and congrats on the Crash Smash :)
R Tape loading error, 0:1
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Deserved the Crash Smash :)
Minilop
Drutt

Post by Minilop »

I've noticed a potential issue with using a Kempston Joystick, testing on the following set up, ZX Spectrum 128K (Toastrack) with DivMMC, using the joystick port of the DivMMC in Kempston mode, when casting a spell in Dungeons 2,3,4 it is difficult to select the right spell as it doesnt seem to debounce. By altering the dip switch settings on the DivMMC and using Sinclair mode, it works fine.

I've tried two different joysticks, an old Spectravideo and a brand new Immortal - both act the same way, so I'm wondering if its a code issue or a DivMMC Kempston interface issue - if anyone is able to test an alternative Kempston interface I'd be interested to hear your experience - I dont have alternative hardware to test it further myself.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Minilop wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:41 amI've noticed a potential issue with using a Kempston Joystick
Hi @Minilop - it works for me. I'm using a Toastrack with DivMMC Future. Debounce seems fine - the highlighted item changes when you release the up/down direction. (I'm using a basic joystick; no autofire etc).

ULAplus colour issue?
I noticed on my ULAplus devices, the colour palette doesn't seem right. E.g. here's the death screen:

Minilop
Drutt

Post by Minilop »

flatduckrecords wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:35 pm Hi @Minilop - it works for me. I'm using a Toastrack with DivMMC Future. Debounce seems fine - the highlighted item changes when you release the up/down direction. (I'm using a basic joystick; no autofire etc).

ULAplus colour issue?
I noticed on my ULAplus devices, the colour palette doesn't seem right. E.g. here's the death screen:
Ok, thanks so much, that's really useful, so I have almost the same setup as you but have a divmmc enjoy pro one, glad to hear it's not a problem with the future. So itiggt just be a problem with the Enjoy

Thanks for reporting the ULA+ issue, I will get that fixed in the next update, for the time being I think it's just a case of disabling ULA+
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Post by flatduckrecords »

Sorry @Minilop, I just loaded up the old fashioned way (over audio, no DivMMC) with an old Kempston interface attached and it *is* misbehaving on the spell-select menu. It's more difficult to select the middle option: it wants to jump to the top or bottom of the list. (I'm on Level 2). Not sure why the DivMMC Future would be different, but it controls perfectly!
Dodgypenguin
Drutt

Post by Dodgypenguin »

DivMMC EnJOY! PRO ONE with Kempston. Same issue. It takes multiple goes to select the middle spells as it just shoots to top or bottom with slightest tap. Get it after a few goes.
Minilop
Drutt

Post by Minilop »

OK, thanks guys for the feedback, so it seems is not just a DivMMC Enjoy Pro One issue if it also affects old school Kempston hardware, so strange it doesn't affect the Future though. For DivMMC Enjoy users the solution is to use the dip switches on right hand side to flip it into Sinclair mode and then select Sinclair form the menu in the game, I've tested this and it works as expected. I'll continue to look for a longer term solution though.
Morcar
Microbot

Post by Morcar »

Here is my review of this awesome game.

Minilop
Drutt

Post by Minilop »

flatduckrecords wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:56 pm Sorry @Minilop, I just loaded up the old fashioned way (over audio, no DivMMC) with an old Kempston interface attached and it *is* misbehaving on the spell-select menu. It's more difficult to select the middle option: it wants to jump to the top or bottom of the list. (I'm on Level 2). Not sure why the DivMMC Future would be different, but it controls perfectly!
Hi flatduckrecords, I have (I think) fixed the ULA issue, if you email me at [email protected] I will send you the files to test if you like as I dont have any ULA+ hardware myself (seems ok in an emulator)...still working on the joystick issue, its very odd as other people have tested on original hardware, spec next and others and have it working ok.