TS 2068 dual ROM question

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
kokkiklhs
Dizzy

TS 2068 dual ROM question

Post by kokkiklhs »

I have a Timex Sinclair 2068 but never tried to load some software on it... I was looking for an original Spectrum ROM cartridge to play some Speccy classics with it, but these carts have become impossible to come by...
I know that I could use some DIY option of bare PCB with EPROM into the cartridge slot and since there's a cover there wouldn't be any ugly-looking result, but (don't ask why, honestly dunno) I really don't prefer this solution...

Instead I thought of some straightforward internal dual (TS/Speccy) EPROM in place of the original ROM, with some kind of switch/selector.
Has anyone tried something like that yet? I suppose this will be possible, but does it need some special tricks etc. in order to work properly? Do we already have any clues? A quick google search didn't give any useful results...
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Re: TS 2068 dual ROM question

Post by zxbruno »

Although I don't remember how it was done, I used to have a TS2068 that had a strange mod. The "switch" was a magnet on top of the TS2068. Moving the magnet left or right (before turning on the TS2068) would select the standard TS2068 or the 48K Spectrum one. It worked well but I have no idea why they used a magnet instead of a proper switch on the case. Maybe they didn't want to damage the original case? Nowadays I see Spectrum ROM TS2068 cartridges pop on eBay from time to time. These are not the hard-to-find decades-old homemade ones nor the Zebra ones (which were just Portuguese TC2068 cartridges without the case afaik). These are being made by someone in the U.S. and they can be found here:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/sunnyinchernobyl