New Smilies for the forum!

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.

Which smileys do you want?

I like the originals best!
33%
I'd like a mix: SOME Speccy smileys, with SOME originals
24%
I'm happy to change to Speccy smileys, but not too many Dizzy faces!
12%
I'd be fine with multiple Dizzy faces!
18%
I like the idea of Speccy smileys, just not these ones!
12%

Total votes: 33

Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

New Smilies for the forum!

Post by Lee Bee »

I recently suggested having a few Speccy-themed smileys! We can't add more smileys, but Peter invited me to redesign the existing ones.

Here's what I came up with:

There are multiple options, all adapted from Speccy games (except the final Clive one which I drew).

Please note: I know not everyone likes Dizzy, but most of the popular game sprites are just too big to fit and I started to find that Dizzy's face fits really well, and very easy to adapt, so I ended up making lots of Dizzies! I do like the idea of there being an overall consistency.

Are there any smileys which never get used? ("Exclamation", "Idea", "Right arrow"?) These could be switched for familiar sprites like Horace or Willy?

Let me know your thoughts or suggestions. If you want to list your preferences, you could use the shorthand: O = original design, 1–4 = my ideas (from left to right)
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Re: New Smilies for the forum!

Post by Sokurah »

I'd be happy if I was never reminded og Dizzy (spit!) again, so half of those has disqualified themselves right from the beginning :lol:
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

Lee Bee wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:37 pm Are there any smileys which never get used? ("Exclamation", "Idea", "Right arrow"?) These could be switched for familiar sprites like Horace or Willy?
Y tho?
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

LOL OK, I can tell that a sea of Dizzy faces isn't going to go down well with everyone!

This was just my humble suggestion to get the ball rolling, but please feel free to submit your own ideas. If each of you could just make ONE good suggestion for a smiley, we'd have our set in no time! :-)
redballoon wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:48 pmY tho?
Well, the fact is we have a bunch of smiley buttons sitting there on the right of the page, taking up space, which never get used. My guess is that if we changed the "Arrow" smiley to a Miner Willy smiley, it would be used more than never. You know, for fun?

Even if no one clicked the Miner Willy smiley, it would at least sit at the side of the page as a Speccy-themed decoration, helping to make this forum more unique and connected to the subjectmatter. (I don't even like Miner Willy or Horace but I'm thinking of what the group likes as a whole.)

If nothing else, I think Sir Clive should be honoured by changing one of the Geek smileys to some kind of Clive smiley. But that's my opinion.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Ubergeek should be a YS Trainspotter
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I voted for a mix. The classic smilies plus a cool selection of Spectrum-related ones. Not many, just the most often people would use.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Sokurah wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:08 pm I'd be happy if I was never reminded og Dizzy (spit!) again, so half of those has disqualified themselves right from the beginning :lol:
Yep I’m with you there. I find the ovum’s smug little grin incredibly annoying and it’d be much better if he was made into an omelette.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

LOL. You guys would hate the ZX-PK forum! Their smileys are ALL DIZZIES!

My smileys don't look too bad compared to this overwhelming assortment of animated eggs and boxing gloves:

Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

...I'm not the biggest Dizzy fan (I voted for more general Speccy smilies as I like the idea of variety). But I have to concede that the proposed Dizzy smilies are probably more recognisable re: what they're supposed to represent. So I wouldn't complain (much ;) ) if they got adopted.

One question - the new .css theme only applies if you're logged in, I was wondering if the smilies would be the same? I mostly browse the forum without signing in.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Good question @Morkin,

The icons will apply regardless of if you are logged in or not.

I voted to keep things as they are. It's a great idea, but you can never please everyone.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

I like the originals, but a dizzy, willy, monty, jetpac, little explosion, a rocket, speccy sprite overload would be neat to have but added as extras to the base set. Gives more to play with. I'd get involved in making them if i know the original dimensions (15x17 pixels by the looks o fit, an odd size.) Will 16x16 work as this is obviously perfect for speccy sprites.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

I definitely wouldn't want to change the smileys unless it was to something we were all happy about. This has to be right for EVERYONE here.
hitm4n wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:08 pm …would be neat to have but added as extras to the base set. Gives more to play with.
That's what I originally requested, but unfortunately Peter said it's not possible, and I also got the impression that people don't want MORE smileys cluttering up the page. So it's a matter of replacing them.
hitm4n wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:08 pmI'd get involved in making them if i know the original dimensions
They're ALL 15x17, except Geek which is 17x17 and Uber Geek, which is 17x18! We can't change or increase the size.

Update: New ideas + a new poll here.
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Not sure if login is required but this is another board I use...
http://www.world-of-reliant.org.uk/phpB ... ilies&f=13
11 pages of smilies! :shock:
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Nitrowing wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:49 am Not sure if login is required but this is another board I use...
http://www.world-of-reliant.org.uk/phpB ... ilies&f=13
11 pages of smilies! :shock:
I may have poor taste, but I love them! :-)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Lee Bee wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:08 am I may have poor taste, but I love them! :-)
Well, maybe that's too much :lol: but I would really like to see here the dancing banana from Peanut Butter Jelly Image
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Alessandro wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:29 pm I would really like to see here the dancing banana from Peanut Butter Jelly Image
Oh I love that! Shame it's four times too big for the smileys here!
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

Lee Bee wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:08 am I may have poor taste, but I love them! :-)
Well, you are the man with the brightest avatar. :lol:
I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

What is the reason for the limitations? Other phpBB forums have more (StarDot for example has 41) and some are wider. Atari-forum has even more…

Here’s a couple of pics

StarDot:

atari-forum:

Mark
Last edited by 1024MAK on Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

There is no limitations on the number @1024MAK. The size is just the size of the current ones. I don't want to have to fiddle with CSS etc.

If this does get done at some point I just want a 'slot in' replacement. I've done no further checks or investigations.

I'm probably not engaging in this topic as I'm not a great fan of emojis. However I'm happy to insert a new set when they are ready.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Post above edited, as I messed up the images :oops: :roll:

Certainly, StarDot now tries to stay with phpBB defaults, to make updating easier. But did once upon a time have a custom scheme. It’s a similar story with Atari-forums.

Only being a moderator rather than an admin on these, I couldn’t tell you if any changes were needed to CSS files or other back room tinkering.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

These are the 'Smiles' as phpBB calls them that come as default with phpBB and were sent to @Lee Bee:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

This is the admin page where Smiles are managed:

This is the page you get when you click to edit a specific Smile:

Although I'm not a fan, I'm very happy to test new icons. What I don't want to do is have to update the settings each time I do a phpBB upgrade. This is why I tend to stick with defaults (especially after the upgrade issues a couple of year's ago).
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Alessandro wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:29 pm I would really like to see here the dancing banana from Peanut Butter Jelly Image
Just in case anyone's interested, I made a tiny version to fit the size here:

Image Image Image

enlarged:

Image Image Image
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

:Dance

Use the following code @Lee Bee & @Alessandro :

Code: Select all

:dance