Which ZX Spectrum game is most deserving of a sequel?

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Re: Which ZX Spectrum game is most deserving of a sequel?

Post by Lee Bee »

We've had Heavy on the Magick suggested, but I'd love a few sequels to the excellent Slightly Magic!

The character's name is "Slightly", so the sequels could be called things like "Slightly Amazing", "Slightly Spooky", or even "Slightly More Magic" or "Slightly More Tricky"! (But NOT "Titanic Slightly" or "Slightly in the USA".)

I was also gonna say MYTH, but then I checked and found that someone made an unofficial sequel, which looks pretty good.

Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

The question/idea doesn't really specify if this remake would be for the Spectrum or a more modern platform ... but I assume it would be the former.

I would've loved to see Costa Panayi make an Android 3 game.

Something more solid and not ATTR based - like some of his later games. It could have a more open-world aspect to it, instead of the playing area being divided into "zones" as in A2. Obviously more types of "millipedes" and other robots to vanquish. Possibly even some missions and collectibles. I think that would've been great.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
textvoyage
Drutt

Post by textvoyage »

I see Skool Daze has been mentioned already, but we could stay with Eric and help him through college and/or university, jobs part-time and full-time too
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Off 2 University (Skooldaze 3).

Skive lectures without penalty (no lines for Eric here), but attend and accrue some baseline eduction that'll be required by viva time.

Sabotage the rotating blackboard, and follow staff to learn about their private habits to undermine lecturers, eventually getting them too stressed to teach. Use the cancelled lecture time to increase social standing by going to j.c.r. and union bar. Smuggle Haley into the boys hall, without Einstein snitching on you. Break into computer labs, and send libelous documents to the networked printer room, to bring down other students and make sure you are - at least officially - in the top half of the class. Ultimately aim to get 2:2 degree, and excellent "social skill" status.

Blimey, Eric has turned into a dick.
CLEAR 23855
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

textvoyage wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:11 pm I see Skool Daze has been mentioned already, but we could stay with Eric and help him through college and/or university, jobs part-time and full-time too
Did you read what I was typing and usurp my post?
CLEAR 23855
textvoyage
Drutt

Post by textvoyage »

uglifruit wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:17 pm Did you read what I was typing and usurp my post?
Wow, strange, if I was aware of what you were typing then it was only subconciously!
I'd like to add starting a student band to your list
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Bedazzle wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:52 pm HOTM is partially done, but is frozen at the moment cause I'm very lazy :(

Cool... :)

The only thing I wasn't too keen on in HotM was that there always seemed to be something draining my stamina (fighting & plenty of other things), to the extent that I found it difficult to focus on the puzzles, which were hard enough. It'd be nice to have a more 'puzzle-focussed' sequel IMO, maybe with some of the early enemies a bit easier-to-defeat.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

textvoyage wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:11 pm I see Skool Daze has been mentioned already, but we could stay with Eric and help him through college and/or university, jobs part-time and full-time too
uglifruit wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:16 pm Off 2 University (Skooldaze 3).
Skive lectures without penalty (no lines for Eric here), but attend and accrue some baseline eduction that'll be required by viva time.
Sabotage the rotating blackboard, and follow staff to learn about their private habits to undermine lecturers, eventually getting them too stressed to teach. Use the cancelled lecture time to increase social standing by going to j.c.r. and union bar. Smuggle Haley into the boys hall, without Einstein snitching on you. Break into computer labs, and send libelous documents to the networked printer room, to bring down other students and make sure you are - at least officially - in the top half of the class. Ultimately aim to get 2:2 degree, and excellent "social skill" status...
...all this is assuming that Eric would ever be accepted into any university in the first place. Unless it was Scumbag College, London.

Are there extra points for spending time in the Kebab & Calculator?
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

TMD2003 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:34 pm ...all this is assuming that Eric would ever be accepted into any university in the first place. Unless it was Scumbag College, London.

Are there extra points for spending time in the Kebab & Calculator?
I previously had the idea of "Back 2 Work" where Eric is trying to escape an oppressive call-centre job with CCTV and micro-managing bosses monitoring his loo breaks. The day would be punctuated by all-staff meetings and pointless mandatory training sessions with the occasional fag break in the car park.

I don't think my Speccy coding is up to the task unfortunately...
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

TMD2003 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:34 pm Are there extra points for spending time in the Kebab & Calculator?
I've been there a couple of times (BRISTOL!), how many points do I get..! Now called the Westbury Park Pub...

https://www.westburyparkpub.co.uk/
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

Lee Bee wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:24 am I was also gonna say MYTH
That's listed as 'available' but there's no file?
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Nitrowing wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:32 pm That's listed as 'available' but there's no file?
Weird, the situation is the same in WOS, but not in the alternative WOS.net, https://worldofspectrum.net/item/0003354/

I think I've seen a few other titles with the same issue.
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

TMD2003 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:34 pm ...all this is assuming that Eric would ever be accepted into any university in the first place. Unless it was Scumbag College, London.
It is in London, but actually known as "Croydon Scumbag College" ;)
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

I love the idea of a Skool Daze game with a slightly older teenage Eric. I'd make it a bit more like an RPG, showing more of Eric's personal and social life, with multiple locations instead of just confined to a building. Maybe he has a part-time job and has to go to shifts every now and again? One of his missions could be to try to get his first car, then take some girl out on a date, sneaking her out of her bedroom window without getting caught by her scary overbearing dad, who is as terrifying as Mr Whacker.

For me, the best thing about Skool Daze was the fear of the teachers, and that awful noise when you get lines! In this game, instead of getting lines, maybe Eric just has a "Trouble meter", which goes up whenever adults catch you messing around, reprimand you, or yell at you (which happens a lot). If the meter reaches full, your dad comes and grounds you indefinitely, meaning your social life (and the game) is over!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Lee Bee wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:24 am Maybe he has a part-time job and has to go to shifts every now and again? One of his missions could be to try to get his first car, then take some girl out on a date, sneaking her out of her bedroom window without getting caught by her scary overbearing dad, who is as terrifying as Mr Whacker.
Hayley wrote:Who's this "some girl"? You're dumped, Eric!
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

"m.o.v.i.e." deserves a "s.e.q.u.e.l."
Using the same graphical engine, Jack Marlow returns to solve another case, and suspects that somehow crime boss Bugs Mallow is involoved. It'd involve somehow breaking him out from behind bars, to solve the case.
CLEAR 23855
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Split Personalities/Splitting Image should have an new version, where is the same game but you can load in updated politic figures/royals to replace the graphics.

They'd be releasing add-on packs pretty much each month at the moment.
CLEAR 23855
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

If I understand correctly, its rigths are now under Square Enix, what is quite active last time.
So it will be kind of a problem to release new version?
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

TMD2003 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:46 amYou're dumped, Eric!
Losing Hayley isn't so bad. That chick was happy for you to kiss her six times but went a bit psycho if you wanted a seventh!
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Lee Bee wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:14 pm Losing Hayley isn't so bad. That chick was happy for you to kiss her six times but went a bit psycho if you wanted a seventh!
What kind of depraved person wants more than than six kisses? @Lee Bee ? Eh?
CLEAR 23855
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

+3code wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:40 pm Weird, the situation is the same in WOS, but not in the alternative WOS.net, https://worldofspectrum.net/item/0003354/

I think I've seen a few other titles with the same issue.
There was an incident involving Mark Cale of System 3, the ZX Vega and the current owner of WOS which led to them being removed.
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

I was mad for Shadowfire, and to some degree Enigma Force. As a child I was meh about the grubby functional Star Wars Universe, but I loved the glam sci-fi worlds of Blakes7 and Flash Gordon. I built the entire Zoff V out of Lego, complete with launchable shuttle and fighters. I even attempted Shadowfire fan fiction.

Anyway, there was an interview in Crash with Denton Designs which describes what will become Enigma Force, with plans for another game beyond that. It never saw light, but Shadowfire III was indeed planned. Theres a great article about it here with the original design docs.

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/2013/03 ... -document/
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

In no particular order:

1. Another 'Skool' type of game or perhaps something else using that same 'engine' (SkoolDaze/Contact Sam Cruise)

2. Another game in the Wally Week series (pretty sure one was vaguely considered, could be wrong)

3. Dynamite Dan 3 (and the islands of the missing ending) , seriously though combining both DD1 and DD2 elements into a new game could be awesome
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Did I kill the topic ? :D

One more is the missing sequel to Hydrofool, mentioned in the ending, making the 'Sweevo' series a triology

And finally another MagicKnight game :)
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Rtype 2?