Thoughts on the Amstrad takeover

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Re: Thoughts on the Amstrad takeover

Post by TMD2003 »

Guesser wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:17 pm The main complaint against them is using their own pinout on the connectors rather than the so-called Atari "standard", with the first party joysticks being crap. Dual standard joysticks came out from third parties though (and adaptors?) so not the end of the world, just annoying to people who already owned an incompatible joystick.
What I find utterly bizarre is why Amstrad went to the trouble of making the SJS-1 in the first place when there was already a cheap, nasty, flimsy joystick with the same touch-the-metal-pads user input that the CPC was packaged with - the "Amstick" / JY-3 that was later sold as the SJS-2, recoloured in red. Thing is, did the CPC joystick port use the same pinout as the nasty SJS-1/2, or was it standard Atari - which would mean building two different versions of the JY-3/SJS-2? There's no way Amstrad would let a penny or so on each joystick slide, would they?
flatduckrecords wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:38 pm Ha! My +2A back then came with a Ram Turbo interface that had undergone such an "engineering" "improvement"!
I had to cut a square corner off mine with a fine cutting disc, then reversed it and glued it inside, filed off the extra glue and any plastic sticking out, filled any holes, and gave the scar a spray of black paint. It doesn't quite look like it came out of the factory with a groove cut out of it, but it's neat enough. I could never deal with the mess made of that RAM Turbo!
flatduckrecords wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:38 pm Yes, as long as you also upgrade the ROM to 4.1 so the printer port works correctly! But yeah, having the floppy controller on board is useful (the +2A has +3DOS, but usually no controller etc.). I've been playing with a Frankenstein +3 recently using dual 3.5" disks and/or a Gotek and it's great.
I don't need the printer port. Besides, aren't all +3s supposed to be ROM 4.1? Last I heard, "ROM 4.0" was 128K/+2, "ROM 4.1" was +2A/+3.
toot_toot wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:16 pm The Amstrad takeover certainly brought a bit of stability, I’m old enough to remember the months leading up to it and the coverage in Sinclair User. First there was the (failed) attempted takeover by Robert Maxwell (I wonder how well that would have turned out)?
Likely as not, it'd have been game over as soon as the Big Fat Czech fell off his boat. Possibly well before that, given the reasons he fell off the boat in the first place...
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

TMD2003 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:57 pm I don't need the printer port. Besides, aren't all +3s supposed to be ROM 4.1? Last I heard, "ROM 4.0" was 128K/+2, "ROM 4.1" was +2A/+3.
Nope, most +3s are 4.0, most black +2s are 4.1
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Is there a Peek to find the ROM version @Guesser?
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

The Amstrad joystick port was basically Atari standard, there was a bit of a quirk in the way the second joystick was designed to be daisy chained but nothing as weird as the Sinclair ports on the +2 onwards.

The only logic to it was some attempt to tie users to buying Amstrad joysticks, but that seemed pretty futile all things considered. Well that or someone botched the wiring and they just decided to run with it....
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:22 pm Is there a Peek to find the ROM version @Guesser?
IIRC, the +3DOS has a routine called DOS_version for that purpose, I think readed it in the manual (or in some magazine).
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

There's some way to probe it, but if you go into the test program with the QAZPLM combo it prints it on the screen
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

<plug> Or you could run my ROM checksum utility to find out exactly what ROMs are present </plug>

https://zxnet.co.uk/spectrum/roms/
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

AndyC wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:39 pm The Amstrad joystick port was basically Atari standard, there was a bit of a quirk in the way the second joystick was designed to be daisy chained but nothing as weird as the Sinclair ports on the +2 onwards.
You mean the Amstrad CPC joystick port…

I think the way the +2 ports were wired was intentional, as there are too many differences for it to be a botched job…
spider wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:14 pm The only thing I've always wondered about (I've not read the whole topic yet sorry) is -why- the first 'Amstrad' produced model aka the +2 was grey not black ?
What colour was the CPC range?

Did using that colour of ABS plastic save money or was it because Amstrad’s suppliers had plenty of it in stock (the plastic that the cases are made from)?

I’m amused by this topic. Sinclair and Amstrad were the king of cheap electronics (mainly audio gear) before computers were even thought of in the U.K. market. And had been in competition with each other before.

Amstrad were actually rather late in the market with the CPC 464.

Heat is not a factor in how reliable a ZX Spectrum is (well, apart from speeding up the process of the keyboard membrane tails cracking due to going brittle).

The main problems with the issue one and issue two rubber key machines was the poor quality control at the actual factory which was of course owned and operated by Timex. This was the first mass produced electronic production line that they been involved with. There was also a design limitation with the internal DC/DC converter circuitry, which can’t cope with an out of specification (as in too high) DC input voltage.

Later problems were due to edge-connector abuse. Now, failure of DRAM chips is quite common. The 4116 (or equivalent) DRAM has become increasingly unreliable. Other computers that use this type of DRAM are also affected. The ‘half working’ 32k DRAM in some machines may also be more likely to fail, even though it was fine in the 1980s. The fully working 64k DRAM (and later DRAM) chips also sometimes fail, but not as often.

Sinclair rubber key and plus machines made by Samsung appear to have reasonable reliability. As do other issue boards/machine once Timex sorted out their quality control.

And of course Amstrad had some production of +2 machines in the Far East, and I think all +2A/+2B/+3/+3B were made overseas. But some of the Amstrad +2 machines were made by Timex in the U.K….

The board in a ZX Spectrum+ is exactly the same as used in later versions of the rubber key. The only improvement being the case and keyboard.

The 128K fixed a lot of the design problems that Sinclair chose not to fix in the 16K/48K models. Unfortunately, they also introduced some new design problems.

The +2 is effectively the components from the 128K on a new design of board, with the chip from the interface 2 added (to provide the joystick ports). Obviously the keyboard is new, but based on combination of the multiple layer ZX Spectrum+ membrane and the existing CPC keyboard mechanism.

The +2A/+3 are reengineered designs, the idea being to cut costs (the gate array does more than the ULA did). The gate array also enables the keyboard membrane to go back to being a ‘single’ layer type (which is cheaper). Because (1) this design uses less chips, later (and hence more reliable) DRAM and there is less need for joystick interfaces, it is likely to be more reliable.

It’s also possible that even if Amstrad had not produced a reengineered design, once ULA production stopped, that would have been it.

With respect to what had happened if Amstrad had not bought the Sinclair computer operation (which at the time was only the ZX Spectrum and QL), it’s all speculation. Sinclair may have found someone else to help, or the company (Sinclair Research Ltd) could have folded with Sinclair setting up another company (something he did before). Keep in mind that the company was not called Sinclair Research Ltd during the time of the ZX80.

Did Amstrad keep the Spectrum scene alive? Absolutely yes. Did they innovate? Not so much. Should they have tried to expand or improve the machine further than including built in tape deck / disk drive / joystick ports / printer port? Not to pour water on the fire, but no, not really. That would have pushed the price up. Then the new machine would have been competing with the CPC range and the 16/32 bit Atari STFM computers for example.

In terms of evolution, all single board home computers (which the Spectrum 16K/48K is {not including the issue one board & DRAM expansion board}) were not really designed to have later expanded or improved models. They were designed for the market at the time. When technology improved, you were supposed to buy a new model and new software.

If anything, the sheer size of the ZX Spectrum software catalogue changed that. The same thing happened with the Commodore 64. It’s this that made the continuing production of both these home computers possible.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Fascinating thread. I can't really contribute as I know little about the hardware or company politics, but for what it's worth, I can share my humble opinion on the physical models…

Firstly, apologies but I would never even entertain the original Speccy as I'm obsessive about mechanical keyboards. (My disdain for non-moving buttons is one of the biggest reasons I'd never buy a smartphone!)

As for Mr Sugar's models, while I greatly admire the man, I didn't like his computer design. In fact, I'd say my own beloved childhood Speccy +2 was his ugliest creation—which proves my tastes aren't biased by nostalgia.

For me, the ONLY physical Spectrum model I like is the Toastrack (128). In fact, I think it's a thing of beauty and has aged incredibly well. IMHO, it looks even more stylish than even the Spectrum Next.
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

Amstrad's Hi Fi range was certainly cheap and nasty. Their computers generally weren't though.

I suppose it was a different market, and even the same level of build quality is going to a lot further when you're competing with Sinclair and Commodore rather than Sony and Panasonic. Still, I'd think that the opportunity was taken to turn over a new leaf and rebuild their reputation somewhat. You've just got to open them up and look inside to see a notably lower level of bodging going on.

Obviously Alan Sugar's true calling was set-top boxes though. :)
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

It's possible grey plastic was cheaper, but I suspect the +2 was that colour primarily to distinguish it from the CPC464. Reverting to black later was probably a combination of response to criticism, possibly cost savings from using the same colour everywhere and perhaps a realisation that making the distinction was unnecessary.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Lee Bee wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:19 pm Firstly, apologies but I would never even entertain the original Speccy as I'm obsessive about mechanical keyboards. (My disdain for non-moving buttons is one of the biggest reasons I'd never buy a smartphone!)
But the Speccy rubber key was a moving keyboard, just not what you would have expected if you had used a ‘normal’ keyboard :lol:

It was useable, not as good as a ‘proper’ keyboard, but definitely a whole lot better than the flat membrane of the ZX80 and ZX81.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

The Speccy (and even the Amstrad CPC) did well for 'Surallun' Sugar's profits, but after the eighties ended and we got into the 16-bit era, he knew he couldn't compete with that, and just threw out a cheap Amstrad-CPC-as-a-console (the GX4000) on the market to compete with the Sega Master System/NES for a bit. There was serious computing with a line of cheap PCs but they too faced massive competition.

There was a brief flirtation with 16-bit gaming when Amstrad did a deal with Sega, producing a literal hybrid of the Mega Drive and a 386SX-based PC. Still one of the most jaw-dropping things I've ever seen...

Yeah, Surallun stuck to things that made money and the early 90s was a boom in satellite dishes as Sky grabbed the Premier League rights. His set-top boxes were typically the cheapest and also pretty terrible. Even into the Sky digital era, you had to avoid Amstrad. Our household ended up with an Amstrad-made Sky Digital box and while it LOOKED stunning, the output was plagued by herringbone-afflicted output via SCART and it was sluggish to channel surf when compared to the Pace (the utter pinnacle of satellite boxes) or indeed anything else. We sent back two Amstrad boxes and eventually got some other brand.

Amstrad would kind of return to the ZX Spectrum when they made the em@iler, with that daft '50p to rent a classic Spectrum game for 3 days' feature back in 1999. That's where Surallun really lost his touch with computing and now he's into screen advertising.

"Next Christmas the iPod will be dead, finished, gone, kaput." - Alan Sugar, Feb 2005.

Still, I'm glad he got his hands on the Speccy. In that other universe where it's a Maxwell ZX Spectrum taking us into the 128K era? Think of all the MirrorSoft pack-in games! The incessant daily plugs in the Mirror newspaper for the Speccy which would lead to snide remarks from The Sun and The Times. It'd have sunk nearly as fast as Sir Bob did.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
PaddyC13
Drutt

Post by PaddyC13 »

What amuses me is how we have gone full circle. The ZX80 and ZX81 were criticised for their non moving, flat keyboards. So much emphasis in the 80s was placed on “proper” keyboards and yet today, most of use flat, non moving keyboards on our phones and tablets. :D

Kind regards

Paddy
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Sorry for the long historical report, but I think it should help me explain my views on the topic.

In June 1985, Sinclair Research was in the red for £15 million, without counting the £6.4 million of debts accumulated by subsidiary Sinclair Vehicles Ltd, expressly created to manage the electrical vehicles line the C5 should have started. Sinclair tried to save his group in several ways, but without any result. First, he turned for help to Robert Maxwell, who, after a series of meetings with him, initially stated to be willing to acquire Sinclair Research, then dropped the idea on 9 August. After that, Sinclair got support from a Spanish company, Investronica SA, in order to design and produce an updated Spectrum model. He believed that in such a serious situation it would have been preferable to stake everything on a sure bet, instead of taking other new and potentially disastrous roads, and that the solution lied in a new version of his "warhorse", to be partially developed abroad in order to curb costs. So the 128 was born: it represented the best that could be taken, at that time, from the obsolescent technology the Spectrum was based upon. Once again, however, another misjudgement by Sinclair made things go the opposite way of what he wanted. Instead of taking advantage of the Christmas season, traditionally profitable for the sales of home computer systems, Sinclair, hoping not to hinder the selling off of Spectrum +’s, which were still present in large numbers on shop shelves, postponed the release of the 128 on the British market to January 1986, that is to say in a "dead" period for that kind of trade. As a consequence, the new computer had a low sales volume record, partially caused by its not exactly attractive price of £179.95.

It was the end: Sinclair Research was sinking in a sea of debts, and it was not 1977 anymore, when his old company had ben bought off by NEB after the lukewarm reception of the Microvision MTV-1 and the Black Watch fiasco. This time, there would have been no State enterprise to act as a safety net in order to avoid the imminent collapse. There was no other possibility than selling everything and make an exit. For this reason, as soon as his competitor Alan Sugar held out a helping hand and offered him to buy all the rights upon present and future Sinclair computers, including names and logos, for £5 million, ‘Uncle Clive’ couldn’t do anything but accept. Sugar certainly wouldn’t have missed the great opportunity of ousting his most dangerous adversary, who notwithstanding the false steps of 1984-85 was still alone in dominating the majority of the British home computer market, with a 40% share.

At the beginning of 1986, during one of his frequent visits in the East, Sugar was contacted by telephone in his office of Kowloon (Hong Kong) by Mark Souhami, then the managing director of retail store chain Dixons, for a meeting at Mandarin Hotel in Hong Kong. There, Souhami and Dixons chairman Stanley Kalms informed him about Sinclair’s buyout proposal. Sugar then decided to fly back to the United Kingdom and discuss the matter personally with Sinclair. The two met for the first time in London at the Liverpool Street station restaurant. Sugar was relieved to know that his competitor, a larger-than-life figure, wished to remain independent. During their talks, they contemplated the idea of joining forces, but, as Sinclair himself later explained, "I don’t think it would have worked, because we’re both too independently minded […] I think the difference really comes down to this: Alan makes products in order to make money, whereas I make money in order to make products". Business had positively overcome innovation, following the principle, always adopted by Sugar, according to which a product, as long as the marked liked it, could even operate "on an elastic band", without any ambition "to get national awards for the greatest technology". From his side, Sinclair stopped being interested in his own products as soon as their successful commercial outcome made them mass consumer goods: "Personally I don’t like controlling a business that makes commodity products", he would have said in those days.

After taking Sinclair Research over, Alan Sugar did not want to compete with himself; in his plans, the Spectrum should have occupied the lower sector of Amstrad’s home computer range, whereas the CPC would make the middle one. The +2 went into production in July 1986; its initial price was set at just £149, in accordance with Sugar’s policies, aimed at exploiting the large quantity of available software, mainly games, to make the Spectrum the entry level product of the Amstrad range. Like other 8-bit machines, no more up-to-date and threatened by the rise of the Commodore Amiga and the Atari ST, the Spectrum would have been downgraded to the rank of entertainment platform targeted at younger users first (hence, the large number of games licensed from cartoon and children TV shows, typical of the last years of that home computer market sector).

So the Amstrad takeover basically meant that, deprived of its original purposes, the Spectrum would irretrievably lose its specific feature of being the Ford T of information technology. Third party peripherals, ranging from light pens from the Datel Electronics robot arm, almost completely disappeared at the end of the 1980s, while a new one was produced from 1989 on by Amstrad itself, the Magnum Light Phaser light gun. It was symptomatic that one of the last official peripherals for the Spectrum was expressly designed for gaming, as it was the fact that the +2 and later models were often distributed within the so-called "Action Packs," bundled with a set of games of various genres and the Magnum gun. Even the advent of the +3, which due to its native support for CP/M could still have partially passed as a "serious" platform - and in this was supported by sofrware houses like OCP and Tasman - was plagued by hardware incompatibilities due to the redesigned video circuitry and, even more, by the choice of the proprietary 3" AMSOFT standard for floppy disks at a time when 3.5" disks were becoming the de facto standard.

Taking all of these factors into account, I think it seems undeniable that Alan Sugar was responsible for letting the Spectrum survive until its definitive withdrawal from the market. The other side of the coin was that the Spectrum had certainly survived, but itself, ultimately sharing with its 8-bit competitors the fate of becoming little more than a gaming console with a keyboard. And the scarce impact made by the +3 on its potential users undoubtedly weighted on this.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

I should point out that Amstrad did not buy Sinclair Research Limited, but bought the stocks of existing ZX Spectrum and QL computers, the rights and IP related to these and rights to use the trade marks, but only on computers. After the sale, Sinclair Research Limited as a company continued to exist, but had no computer products.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

With the agreement signed on 7 April 1986 in fact Clive Sinclair turned over to Sugar the rights on all of his present and future computers, including both hardware and firmware, together with the historical logo. The financial side of the operation was valued in £5 million for the takeover alone, plus other £11 million for the development of future projects. The 128 and QL were immediately discontinued, and until then classified plans surfaced: the Low-Cost Colour Computer – also known as Loki –, a machine whose technical specifications were so ambitious (custom graphic chip able to render a 512×256 pixels resolution with 256 colours, video recorder and video disc interface, stereophonic sound both in input and output, three MIDI ports etc.) to require such huge quantities of time and money for its development Sinclair couldn’t dispose of at all; the Pandora, a portable Spectrum which would have been equipped with a flat projection screen derived from the one installed on the Sinclair 3” TV; the even more nebulous Janus, little more than just a name. The practical, down-to-earth Sugar immediately threw all of these imaginary designs into the dustbin. Actually Sinclair Research Ltd did not disappear but became a one-person company, with "Uncle Clive" as its only employee. Its focus shifted from computers to other kind of products like the Zike and the A-bike, while its personnel underwent an authentic diaspora. Some of them set up business on their own account, like Alan Miles and Bruce Gordon, founders of Miles Gordon Technology.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Alessandro wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:46 pm With the agreement signed on 7 April 1986 in fact Clive Sinclair turned over to Sugar the rights on all of his present and future computers, including both hardware and firmware, together with the historical logo.
Sinclair turned over to Sugar the rights on all of Sinclair Research's present and future computers, Clive simply started a different company to make his next computer - the Z88.
Journeyman
Microbot

Post by Journeyman »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:57 pm I should point out that Amstrad did not buy Sinclair Research Limited, but bought the stocks of existing ZX Spectrum and QL computers, the rights and IP related to these and rights to use the trade marks, but only on computers. After the sale, Sinclair Research Limited as a company continued to exist, but had no computer products.
Yeah, Sinclair Research actually continued to trade right up to Sinclair's death last year. Sugar didn't want to buy it, and Sinclair didn't want to sell it - offloading the intellectual property to clear the debt was all Sinclair needed.
Wrestling with useless old junk since 1974.
Vintage computers: ZX81, Spectrum +2, TRS-80 Model 100, Z88, Amstrad NC100
http://journeyman.online
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Oddly enough I really didn’t take any notice when all this happened. I suppose I was of an age where I didn’t really care and the fact that they released the +2 not long after I was quite nonplussed by it all. When I see something like this happen these days, such as FitBit acquiring Pebble, I tend to think the bigger company has just purchased the smaller company to remove the threat and exploit the tech.

Would the Speccy have lasted into the early 90’s without Amstrad buying the company?
Journeyman
Microbot

Post by Journeyman »

stupidget wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:30 pm Would the Speccy have lasted into the early 90’s without Amstrad buying the company?
They bought the intellectual property and the brand, not the company, but to answer your question - absolutely not. I think they were the only realistic option.
Wrestling with useless old junk since 1974.
Vintage computers: ZX81, Spectrum +2, TRS-80 Model 100, Z88, Amstrad NC100
http://journeyman.online
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

StooB wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:46 pm Sinclair turned over to Sugar the rights on all of Sinclair Research's present and future computers, Clive simply started a different company to make his next computer - the Z88.
Sorry, I thought that was obvious, since the Sinclair brand itself had been sold to Amstrad. To release the Z88, Clive Sinclair had in fact to create Cambridge Computer Ltd., which was a subsidiary of Sinclair Research Ltd. He could not have called it the Sinclair Z88 for this very reason.

P.S. Maybe I am just speculating, but the "Cambridge" name itself makes me think of Science Of Cambridge, the company Clive founded in 1977, as NEB was "saving" him with financial aid, then buying off Sinclair Radionics (the deal was completed in 1979, with SR being in the red for £8 million; Clive received £10,000 for it). It was since November 1979, when Science Of Cambridge was renamed Sinclair Computers Ltd, that Clive did not lead an enterprise with "Cambridge" in its name :ugeek:
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Alessandro wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:46 pm With the agreement signed on 7 April 1986 in fact Clive Sinclair turned over to Sugar the rights on all of his present and future computers, including both hardware and firmware, together with the historical logo.
Alessandro wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:46 pmThe 128 and QL were immediately discontinued
Apparently Sinclair did not actually have the rights to all the firmware. The ZX Spectrum 16K/48K ROM code was written by Nine Tiles and Amstrad had to go to them to ensure that Amstrad had all the firmware rights.

It’s known that there were large stocks of ZX Spectrum+ machines. It’s not clear how many ZX Spectrum 128 or QL machines were in stock, or what machines were actually in production. It’s thought that production of the QL had already ceased. It’s also likely that production of the ZX Spectrum+ had also ceased given the large numbers in stock (of course we don’t know what contractual arrangements Sinclair had with the actual manufacturing companies). Amstrad either wound down the production of ZX Spectrum 128 quickly, or continued production of these for a little while until they could get the +2 into production. I say this because some ZX Spectrum 128 machines have been found with chips with Amstrad part numbers, or date codes at, around or shortly after the date of the deal.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Guesser
Manic Miner

Post by Guesser »

I gather they also had stocks of components to use up which is (partially?) why the UK +2s exist.
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

Given the large stock of unsold Spectrums that Sugar apparently picked up, I dare say that Sinclair could have been navigated back to profitability without Amstrad's intervention. It would probably have meant cancelling all other development projects that weren't directly Spectrum related though.

I suspect that's why Clive was keen to sell. He'd only ever seen the Spectrum as a means to an end, was never particularly enthusiastic about the QL even, and had been far more interested in ill-fated pet projects like the TV80, C5 and the never released Pandora.

Getting a large chunk of cash in hand and the freedom to go off and make the Z88 would have absolutely seemed like a win to him.