Island

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
luny
Manic Miner

Island

Post by luny »

I've now put Island as an official release on itch.io https://luny666.itch.io/island
(It's free!)

It has 2 whole downloads so far. :lol:
I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!
smurphboy
Manic Miner

Re: Island

Post by smurphboy »

Should be three now.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

now 3 and a follow :)
RWAC
Manic Miner

Post by RWAC »

Downloaded.
I like a good adventure game. This is a good adventure game, right?
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

Bwah ha ha ha!
It's...... OK.
I'm quite proud of the engine, it has potential. ;)
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

luny wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:50 pm Bwah ha ha ha!
It's...... OK.
I'm quite proud of the engine, it has potential. ;)
could you share the source code?
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

OK, it's a little messy and I haven't spent any time optimising any of it, so no comments on how I should have done this or done that please. ;)

I've put together a sourcforge project, as I have some other plans. This includes a snapshot of the release source code.
Go to https://zaph.sourceforge.io to view / download the code.
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

If anyone is interested, I've expanded on my Island project by creating Huffman compression encoder, for strings, written in C# along with a decoder written in Z80 for the Spectrum. Have a look at https://sourceforge.net/projects/zaph/ on SourceForge if you are.
The C# utility is called TextToHuff and the Z80 decoder resides in the Adventure code under the utils folder.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

A proportional custom font to boot. Sweet!
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

I am going to give it a try. What I find especially attractive about it, is that it's made from scratch and not just Quilled or something similar.
For a long time I've wanted to make an adventure game myself and made a start a couple of years ago, but somehow got distracted (as usual), but I had kinda sorta worked out how the guts should work. I hope that I'll still get around to it ... but for now I'll see what another community member has made :)
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

Island was my first complete adventure in Z80, so it was a bit of an experiment. In the old days I use to write adventure games in BASIC, in fact it was a bit of a fallback for me when thinking of things to write. The school computer had a dozen unfinished adventures all using slightly different variations of adventure engines in BASIC. (Actually, I might have completed one of them with a complete story ;) )

If you are interested, the idea is to grow on what Island is now and create a more and more advance engine. Hence the Huffman streaming stuff, I'm going to plug it into the existing engine so that I can put a lot more text into the next scenario. So, I'll be updating my SourceForge project from time to time with advances as I go.
goodboy
Microbot

Post by goodboy »

why does the program not understand the full word "LOOK," but only "L" ?
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

Because I wrote it that way. I copied the original which defines some single letter only commands. I mean why would you want to type look, when you can just type l?
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Well done with this! :-)
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

Ta!
goodboy
Microbot

Post by goodboy »

luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

goodboy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:05 am Image
ooh, good spot. Missed by at least four people. :lol:
I'll stick it on my list and fix it if I get a handful of issues. Kind of gives it an old authenticity as I've played many an old adventure which had typos and spelling mistakes.

Thanks.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

Oh, so there's a built-in ADnD game you can load!?

Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

luny wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:10 am ooh, good spot. Missed by at least four people. :lol:
Well, only if you are all those four people. ;)

It's not like I've not written about it during testing. You can re-read that thread if you don't believe me.
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

Timmy wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:10 pm Well, only if you are all those four people. ;)

It's not like I've not written about it during testing. You can re-read that thread if you don't believe me.
Arg, so I missed the mention on the typo. A meta-miss. Oh well. I'm blame pressure at work. ;)
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

Hey there

Myself and a couple of friends played this game live on Twitch last night and had a lot of fun. One of them, Dom Reardon, is a comic book artist and he actually did some live sketches of the adventure as we wandered around. It was great. We didn't get very far but we really enjoyed it.

www.twitch.tv/happycodingzx

The stream is viewable at the time of writing and will be viewable on Youtube once it expires.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

Here is an example as we were playing along.

luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

highrise wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:57 am Hey there

Myself and a couple of friends played this game live on Twitch last night and had a lot of fun. One of them, Dom Reardon, is a comic book artist and he actually did some live sketches of the adventure as we wandered around. It was great. We didn't get very far but we really enjoyed it.

www.twitch.tv/happycodingzx

The stream is viewable at the time of writing and will be viewable on Youtube once it expires.
oh, this is exciting. When I decided to resurrect this project, I didn't expect such attention. I watched a few minutes and will watch the rest tonight, as I'm interested in your responses and reactions for future games. Interesting you thought of The Tempest at the beginning. As you had probably discovered over time, it's not that deep or a story and wasn't really based on anything. But I do love your optimism. :)

The sketches look great, are they going to get scanned in? I'd love to post some on my site, if you allow me. Once the video is on YT I'll link it as well.
highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

well, we look for new releases each week and talk about them on the live stream. I knew you from your disassembly work and that's why i decided we should try it out, it's a way to show appreciation. I suggested to Dom that he draw some sketches while we played to make it interesting and it was a lot of fun.

During the stream I suggested that if you liked it, we should look at scanning the images, converting them into Spectrum format and seeing if they can go in a 128k version of the game. I'm thinking maybe the top two thirds of the screen, perhaps 24 x 16. If compressed, it could be made to work, but that's up to you.

And yes, I mentioned the Tempest but that's just because for some reason on our streams we tend to wander off topic and talk about classic works of ilterature, even though none of us are especially well read. we have recently discussed the work of Cervantes and Alighieri, so why not Shakespeare too! Anyway, I'll drop you a pm.