GAC on 128+2 (not 2a)

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

GAC on 128+2 (not 2a)

Post by stupidget »

Hi All,

Has anybody managed to get GAC running on a Speccy 128 +2 grey? I remember back in the day when I got a +2 that I could never get GAC to load in either 128 or 48k mode and when I tried again the other day it still fails to load.

If it was able to load into 128 mode would it make use of the extra memory?
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Re: GAC on 128+2 (not 2a)

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Are you taking about The Graphic Adventure Creator? Because I have no problem loading it on any Spectrum. Must be something else.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Blerkotron
Dizzy

Post by Blerkotron »

Not a +2, but I used to use this with my Toastrack and it worked fine. Does it work on an emulated +2? The turbo loader was ridiculously fast, perhaps the poor old +2 tape deck is having issues?

Even if you get it to load it won't use the extra memory, only the base 48k. To be honest you're loads better off with PAW anyway.
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:13 pm Are you taking about The Graphic Adventure Creator? Because I have no problem loading it on any Spectrum. Must be something else.
Yep, Graphic Adventure Creator. The odd thing is that the +2 and GAC Cassette I have now are not the ones I had back in the 80's and they don't work either!
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

stupidget wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:48 am Hi All,

Has anybody managed to get GAC running on a Speccy 128 +2 grey? I remember back in the day when I got a +2 that I could never get GAC to load in either 128 or 48k mode and when I tried again the other day it still fails to load.

If it was able to load into 128 mode would it make use of the extra memory?
Had it working lots of times on my grey Spectrum +2, fairly sure you had to load from 48K mode. It was from the 48K era, so I doubt it ever made use of the 128K ram.

The temperamental thing was Incentive's speed loader, which must have been the most fastest (and therefore most prone to failure) out of all the loaders out there. Didn't always load successful because of that. I made a Multifaced copy because it was more reliable to load.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Post by stupidget »

PeteProdge wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Had it working lots of times on my grey Spectrum +2, fairly sure you had to load from 48K mode. It was from the 48K era, so I doubt it ever made use of the 128K ram.

The temperamental thing was Incentive's speed loader, which must have been the most fastest (and therefore most prone to failure) out of all the loaders out there. Didn't always load successful because of that. I made a Multifaced copy because it was more reliable to load.
Yeah I think the old +2 tape deck is struggling with that super fast loader!! I loaded another tape (Jasons Gem, yep I know, but I like it) and it worked first time.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

PeteProdge wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:27 pm Had it working lots of times on my grey Spectrum +2, fairly sure you had to load from 48K mode. It was from the 48K era, so I doubt it ever made use of the 128K ram.
I won’t make use of the extra RAM, of course, but it loads and works fine in 128K mode.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.