Key preferences - am I the only one who doesn't like QAOP?

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Tan Coul
Dizzy

Key preferences - am I the only one who doesn't like QAOP?

Post by Tan Coul »

Ever since I first had my first Speccy back in '83, my go-to for redefined keys has been QW for left-right, UH for up-down and I for fire. I never even thought of using my left hand for up-down, and even trying it now I just can't do it! It's only since the advent of internet forums that I've found that most people seem to use QAOP and somehow think this is the natural order of things... so am I the only one, or does anyone else use their left hand exclusively for LR and their right for UD and fire?

My way did at least have one accidental benefit - when Interface II became a thing I could happily select that on games without redefinable keys - 67 for LR and 980 for UDF just felt natural, and I did wonder at the time why so many people were against it.
bobs
Microbot

Re: Key preferences - am I the only one who doesn't like QAOP?

Post by bobs »

I can’t stand QAOPM, and I’m often vilified for having ZXKML as the default keys in the games I’ve written. (There’s always the option to redefine them though)

I’ve been trying to work out where that comes from, and my best guess is that the early titles I played on the newly-released Speccy, such as Space Raiders and Planetoids, both used Z & X for move/rotate left/right. In the absence of any redefine option I would switch to using cursor or interface-2 joystick and use those associated keys instead of trying to bend my hands around to use QAOP or QZIP configurations.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

Everyone who does not like QAOP immediately gets their Speccy license immediately revoked.

[In weird-beard key layouts, I played the early Ultimate games with my right hand index and middle fingers on QW and my left hand index,middle,ring on ERT. I've just tried again, it's still muscle memoried in me]
CLEAR 23855
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

I cannot even begin to fathom how five buttons in a row can feel like a natural layout to anyone. And certainly the old games only used it because it is technically easier to implement.

I could understand trying to defend something like WASD, although I personally find that incredibly cramped, but 67890 is just horrid.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

I started using cursor keys, possibly because I'd got used to them from the ZX81, and some early Speccy games let you use them

Afterwards started getting used to QZIP (Horace games maybe). My fire button of choice was 'B' (!) but I switched to N soon after

After a short time I switched to QAOP (less stretching) and M - maybe because my N key was getting worn out and unreliable with all the hammering :lol:

I can usually adapt to other layouts with U/D on the right and L/R on the left, as long as the fire key is on a right hand finger. I also got very used to Sinclair (67890) which I use as a default if it's offered and the game's key setup is a bit unfamiliar. But I've found if my right hand fourth finger is used for the fire key, it's a bit weak compared to my thumb if you have to pummel the fire button a lot (like some shmups).
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

I've always used QAOP and space, I don't remember the reason, maybe because I got a Spectrum Plus and this is the best keys set, specially with the fire key.

Some games I first played (for example, Raid Over Moscow) had I,P,Q,Z, clearly good set for the 48k model. When plus and 128k models were widely sold, maybe the OPQA set started to be used.
DenisGrachev
Dizzy

Post by DenisGrachev »

as far i remember it's was used to avoid/minimize keyboard ghosting
ketmar
Manic Miner

Post by ketmar »

i've never had the original rubber keyboard, had Robik with a high-quality mechanical keyboard instead, so i used KLAZM instead. slightly easier for my fingers. ;-)
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

No you aren't. Back in the day I used the Cursor joystick combination mostly, later I grew more accustomed to the Sinclair one. I always felt QAOPM to be awkward and uncomfortable to use.

When redefining keys, I set them as SDKML with A as an additional key when needed, H for pause and Q to quit.

By the way, I am right-handed.
AndyC wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:52 pm I cannot even begin to fathom how five buttons in a row can feel like a natural layout to anyone. And certainly the old games only used it because it is technically easier to implement.

I could understand trying to defend something like WASD, although I personally find that incredibly cramped, but 67890 is just horrid.
We shall agree to disagree :) 67890 is my choice when keys cannot be defined. And it feels extremely natural to me. While WASD is... just bad, except for PC-based first person games where you shoot and/or manipulate objects with the mouse.
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

OK, this is getting too much. We've had people praising WASD (spit!) and now they're dissing QAOP. This sort of behaviour is just not acceptable on a Spectrum forum.

QAOP or bust.

(BTW I've set up a poll: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8349)
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

Using thumb for fire isn't great for rapid fire.

All the directions on the left hand with fire on the right hand works great for Zynaps, Commando, where rapid fire is most important, but not so good for Exploding Fist where quick and accurate changes of direction are more important than rapid fire mashing. QAOPM is perfect for that.
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

I also have no problem with 67890 or similar as long as up is the last direction key before the fire one ... so I'm not sure if some of the older Ultimate games had that pattern (like QWERT perhaps). What's also nice about having this kind of "row" is when you can redefine your keys but have a 6th action, you can put it to the right or left of the other keys, for example 5+67890 or 56789+0.

As for QAOP ... it's not like you had to have it that far spread out. I've also sometimes used RF rather than QA in games that had redefinable keys.

A special case is Cybernoid. I used to define the keys as QAERT so the weapon keys 1-5 were easy to reach with both hands: weapons 1+2 with left, 3-5 with right.

It's kinda interesting how full keyboard controls is pretty much dead (on PC) as everyone uses either Mouse&Keyboard or a controller. I'd think games in which you don't have to move a camera about would control well with WASD and IOP+Space for 4 actions, the other keys for actions you don't need so often and the number keys to switch weapons or skill and what not ... but that's getting too off-topic so I'll leave it at that.
Luzie
Manic Miner

Post by Luzie »

I´m fine with QAOPM, Cursor 56780 and Sinclair 67890 or 12345 (on a rubber Speccy) because I grow up with it :lol:
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

AndyC wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:52 pm but 67890 is just horrid.
Nope. It’s the one true, most natural layout for me. Still opt for it in modern PC games.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Rorthron wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:30 pm (BTW I've set up a poll: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8349)
Woot!
QAOP or bust.
This should have been the only option. There are perverts out there for every kink you can think of, we can't go catering for all of them.
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:40 pm There are perverts out there for every kink you can think of, we can't go catering for all of them.
uglifruit wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:59 pmQZIPN
Weren't these the keys for several Melbourne House games, like the Horace series and the arcade shootout scene in Mugsy?
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Alessandro wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:59 pm Weren't these the keys for several Melbourne House games, like the Horace series and the arcade shootout scene in Mugsy?
My point still stands :P
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Some other machines have it the opposite way around:

Z/X left/right
P/L up/down

and usually a shift or space key for 'fire'

I do agree the 'all on one row' aka QWERT or 67890 , that just to make it easy as you can read one 'half row' of the keyboard, although the numerics are an IF2 port.
p13z
Manic Miner

Post by p13z »

Indeed. QAOP seems to be for people with teeny tiny little fingers. The real standard for Speccy, as already mentioned in this thread - and set by the Psion / Horace / original starter pack games was: QZIPN
Similar layout / logic, but actually works for people with adult sized fingers.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

p13z wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:14 pm Indeed. QAOP seems to be for people with teeny tiny little fingers. The real standard for Speccy, as already mentioned in this thread - and set by the Psion / Horace / original starter pack games was: QZIPN
Similar layout / logic, but actually works for people with adult sized fingers.
You are Prince Charles AICMFP.
mjwilson
Dizzy

Post by mjwilson »

QWPL for me.
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Imagine if someone had implemented their controls corresponding to the words:
U = Up
D = Down
L = Left
R = Right
F = Fire

Though I'm sure no one was crazy enough, I do remember watching a YouTube video of a game where the controls were almost this bad and it may even have been discussed here on SC, but I don't know what it was. I think it was a case of the keys being extremely spread out so that it was nearly impossible to play ...
Pobulous
Dynamite Dan

Post by Pobulous »

XTM wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:28 pm Imagine if someone had implemented their controls corresponding to the words:
U = Up
D = Down
L = Left
R = Right
F = Fire

Though I'm sure no one was crazy enough, I do remember watching a YouTube video of a game where the controls were almost this bad and it may even have been discussed here on SC, but I don't know what it was. I think it was a case of the keys being extremely spread out so that it was nearly impossible to play ...
I'm sure there are a few commercial games like that use those, and not just a Crap Game entry.
Halls of the Things wasn't much better - had initial letters for actions, aiming arrow with cursors, movement with ZXNM.

The Black Hole still had my award for worst keys, but I think Halls beats it.
TheMartian
Microbot

Post by TheMartian »

All of this QAOP / WASD nonsense is heresy.

The only true scheme is using HJKL (left, down, up, right) like VIM, the true and only, taught us.

(Just kidding, don't ban me)
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

TheMartian wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:51 pm All of this QAOP / WASD nonsense is heresy.

The only true scheme is using HJKL (left, down, up, right) like VIM, the true and only, taught us.
I see your HJKL and I raise you: CVBN (up, down, left, right) - the Lambda 8300 cursor keys.

They're better than the ZX80, ZX81 and Spectrum cursor keys, that's for sure - C and V are on the same fingers as Q and A would be.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!