[VIDEO]10 Really Crap Games for your ZX Spectrum

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Morcar
Microbot

[VIDEO]10 Really Crap Games for your ZX Spectrum

Post by Morcar »

10 games you wouldn't wipe your arse with or P?s? on if it was on fire.

ketmar
Manic Miner

Re: [VIDEO]10 Really Crap Games for your ZX Spectrum

Post by ketmar »

Alien Storm? Strider 2? Hard Drivin'? 'cmon, they are decent games. and no games from Grant Jaquest? meh.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

ketmar wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:54 am Alien Storm? Strider 2? Hard Drivin'? 'cmon, they are decent games. and no games from Grant Jaquest? meh.
Also in this video Renegade III seems very good! I haven't played it for ages. The prehistoric hairy men... very good designed.

Most of the other games of the video I had in my Amiga so comparing version AmigaVsZX they might seem crap.
But for the ZX I think most of them seem nice (just by looking at them, - haven't played them on ZX).
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

These 'worst games' lists always end up dominated by ones that were overhyped and overambitious, so came as crushing disappointments to the people who bought them, rather than the ones that are objectively bad because they're broken and unplayable.

That's certainly the case with Renegade III. It is absolutely a game you should skip if you enjoyed the first two in the series, as it brings nothing new other than a whole load of mediocrity. Is it as bad as the likes of Sqij or Voyage into the Unknown though? No, it's not even close.

I don't think Hard Drivin' is even that bad. It's just that the low frame rate takes a bit of getting used to, and that's common to a lot of the highly regarded sim racers on the Spectrum.
redballoon
Manic Miner

Post by redballoon »

A few games by Tiertex there…video title checks out!
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

I dunno, Renegade 3 may be technically better in terms of having proper sprites etc. However, aside from the cartoon graphics, it also had a ridiculously punishing time limit, IIRC. Essentially, unless you play a perfect game, you'll run out of time. Fans of renegade will not like it, but is also objectively bad from a game design aspect.
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

AndyC wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:40 am I dunno, Renegade 3 may be technically better in terms of having proper sprites etc. However, aside from the cartoon graphics, it also had a ridiculously punishing time limit, IIRC. Essentially, unless you play a perfect game, you'll run out of time. Fans of renegade will not like it, but is also objectively bad from a game design aspect.
Sure, it's a bit tight for time although we're talking six minute levels that can mostly be completed in five if you're pushing the pace, rather than mere seconds to spare. The question for most people is whether they're going to bother enough to even get to the end of the level when they're up against Captain Caveman and some crap cartoon dinosaurs. It's totally lost the gritty edge of the first two games.

Against that though, bear in mind that Sqij is literally unplayable because they left Caps Lock in the wrong state. That's a whole other level of incompetence.