Upcoming game that looks ace.

Introduce yourself. Pimp your website, competition, event or other activity here, as long as it's Spectrum related.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Upcoming game that looks ace.

Post by Jbizzel »

flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Re: Upcoming game that looks ace.

Post by flatduckrecords »

Wow, that looks ace!

Really interesting use of the 128K second screen (mentioned in the replies) to achieve the multicolour effect.

I’d been wondering (meant to create a topic actually) if many games used that feature, but never thought of using it “just” for colour tricks. Groovy!
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Looks like it's using 64 x 48 full colour, making Spectrum games that look like Pico machine games, a trick you can manage by updating the attributes every 4 rows. But you don't need the 128K second screen to achieve that
Definition of loop : see loop
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

No, but if you put the attributes into the two screens and flick between them then the multicolour function is simply an OUT command every four pixel rows to switch screens. And that OUT command has the whole border space to trigger in, so the timing of it doesn't have to be anywhere near as accurate as in a line-copying multicolour routine.

If you can then use the time between switches to repaint the background then you can do lots more scrolling and animation. A bit of a shame they're doing the whole game in 1/4 attribute cells, when that technique should give you enough time to shift a lot of pixel data too.
DenisGrachev
Dizzy

Post by DenisGrachev »

flatduckrecords wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:58 am I’d been wondering (meant to create a topic actually) if many games used that feature, but never thought of using it “just” for colour tricks. Groovy!
i use a same render style in Twinlight. But new game use another engine to do this )
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... /TWINLIGHT
Joefish wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:50 pm No, but if you put the attributes into the two screens and flick between them then the multicolour function is simply an OUT command every four pixel rows to switch screens. And that OUT command has the whole border space to trigger in, so the timing of it doesn't have to be anywhere near as accurate as in a line-copying multicolour routine.

If you can then use the time between switches to repaint the background then you can do lots more scrolling and animation. A bit of a shame they're doing the whole game in 1/4 attribute cells, when that technique should give you enough time to shift a lot of pixel data too.
Games is not only about to draw something we need a some cpu power to gameplay, lol ) 64x48 actually breaks 8 pixels colors wide limit so i decide to make a proper game with dat mode. And actualy i think it's my best z80 code ever, it was even harder than Gluf that render all in a big ld-push code.

Anyway, feel free to show us a unshamed way to use 8x4 colors! Don't forget to add features like animated level tiles, parallax, 8 way scrolling, smooth camera, particles and a proper platfrom game physic )
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

It was GLUF that I was thinking of when it came to shifting pixels in multicolour! :D

And I'm not ashamed to use 8x4 multicolour! The very last line of this screen is only 8x4 multicolour and there's no shame in that! :lol:
(Mind you, there aren't very many pixels actually moving here either... :oops: :dance )